Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about Hendrix & Vaughan tuning

johnmcifoods.com

I've noticed that on the song Voodoo Chile, The tuning is different than the standard E tuning. I've tried to find reference to the tuning used by SRV and Jimi, but I haven't gotten the exact tuning for each string. Can anybody out there help me out? I'm sure this is a basic no-brainer, but I'm lost. Thanks. By the way, my opinion: SRV's playing on his cover of Voodoo Chile has got to be the greatest guitar playing of all time. The expression he gets in that song just kicks f***ing ass!!!

------------------

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John, both Hendrix and SRV tuned down one- half step for a majority of their work. There are some Hendrix tunes where the tuning is a quarter step flat("Manic Depression") but most of it is down one-half step. I believe Voodoo Child(Slight Return) is played in this tuning. Hope that helps.

Dear John,

Hendrix (except on some of the earlier recordings), SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepherd (very hot on a Strat), Pearl Jam, Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen and many others too numerous to remember have turned their guitars down a half step.

In other words, each string goes down so the guitar is playing in E flat. (I wonder if most all of them play Fenders with the 25 1/4 inch length?)

Some say this change delivers a meatier sound. It does because it allows you to use heavier strings without the added tension.

The chaps I play with and I do it and have also noticed it makes the vocals easier to hit.

Anyone want to add some names to the list? Do any guitar stars use the Gibson (24 3/4 inch neck with the half step tuning trick? Gibson have less tension than Fenders allowing for heavier strings at normal tuning.

This message has been edited by Sir Bob on 01-02-2001 at 01:11 AM

Originally posted by john@mcifoods.com:

way, my opinion: SRV's playing on his cover of Voodoo Chile has got to be the greatest guitar playing of all time. The expression he gets in that song just kicks f***ing ass!!!

I don't think it's better than the original by far.

Expression - I assume you've checked out Jeff Beck?

SRV and Hendrix both tuned down a 1/2 step; but SRV used massively heavy strings and a clankier/brighter sound...

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Hemdrix tuned a half step down to accomodate his singing. The tuning would be starting from the first (high E) string: E flat, B flat, G flat, D flat, A flat, E flat. The only Gibson player I know who tuned down was Albert King, and he had his own special tuning.

Buddy

Originally posted by lrbreez:

Hemdrix tuned a half step down to accomodate his singing. The tuning would be starting from the first (high E) string: E flat, B flat, G flat, D flat, A flat, E flat. The only Gibson player I know who tuned down was Albert King, and he had his own special tuning.

Buddy

Hey! I appreciate your reply. I must be a rock, but I'm still not clear on the tuning: my guitar tuner (Zoom effects pedal) has 5 lights to indicate the key of the note. When it's in the middle light, it means it's in tune with the displayed key. How do I get a "flat" It has sharp and regular, but no "flat."

Thanks,

Clueless in Buena Park.

Originally posted by john@mcifoods.com:

...When it's in the middle light, it means it's in tune with the displayed key. How do I get a "flat" It has sharp and regular, but no "flat."...

...??????...

If the middle light is "in tune" then the left 2 lights are flat and the right 2 lights are sharp.

But...forget all that...

Just press each string on the FIRST fret (instead of open) and tune 'til the middle lights goes on...that will give you a half step lower tuning.

If the low E string is tuned to an E flat, then pressing on the first fret makes it an E, and so on for the other strings...think about it, and the rest will fall into place.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

...??????...

But...forget all that...

Just press each string on the FIRST fret (instead of open) and tune 'til the middle lights goes on...that will give you a half step lower tuning.

If the low E string is tuned to an E flat, then pressing on the first fret makes it an E, and so on for the other strings...think about it, and the rest will fall into place.

Brilliant! Thanks. That will work!

Happy jammin'!

<<

on the tuning: my guitar tuner (Zoom effects pedal) has 5 lights to

indicate the key of the note. When it's in the middle light, it means

it's in tune with the displayed key. How do I get a "flat" It has sharp

and regular, but no "flat."

Thanks,

Clueless in Buena Park.>>>>

I'm assuming that the ZOOM lets you dial in natural (regular) and sharps. So I'll list the notes that I mentioned first as flats then as sharps, starting with the 1st string.

1st string: E flat=D sharp

2nd string: B flat=A sharp

3rd string: G flat=F sharp

4th string: D flat=C sharp

5th string: A flat=G sharp

6th string: E flat=D sharp

Hope this helps.

Buddy

Originally posted by Sir Bob:

Dear John,

Anyone want to add some names to the list? Do any guitar stars use the Gibson (24 3/4 inch neck with the half step tuning trick? Gibson have less tension than Fenders allowing for heavier strings at normal tuning.

Tony Iomi (Black Sabbath) has always played Gibson SG's almost exclusively and often tuned down a whole step, sometimes 1and1/2 steps to c sharp! He also used light guage strings, your basic 9-42 set I beleave.

• 3 weeks later...

Pete Townshend tuned down 2 full steps for parts of "Tommy", I believe.

'Course that's not getting into guitarists who use completely different tunings, like open G and DADGAD and all that. That's a whole 'nother story. I don't usually tune down the whole guitar, but I do use alternate tunings quite a bit which I copped from my biggest heroes Keith Richards and Richard Thompson.

--Lee

Archived