Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buy Electro now or wait for upgrade?

jimmymio

I'm inerested in buying an electro but it seems like its late in the product cycle and due for a major upgrade. I know most of the focus was on the C1 at NAMM but I'm wondering if anyone there heard anything about an Electro upgrade.

I'm not in a great rush and i would hate to buy now only to have an Electro 3 be announced in a few months.

Any advice?

Thanks, JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy based on your present wants/needs moreso than market cycles.

Will the Electro 2 get it done for you now?

If so, go for it. Otherwise, wait for a new model to hit the runway. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Go ahead and get the Electro. There's not much they can do to upgrade it anyways. It is a great instrument right out of the box. If you make your buying decisions based on what someone might announce in the next year, you may never get anything!

Plus, if you follow the history of Clavia's product releases, the typically only do 1 big item at a time. This year that item is the C1 dual manual organ.

The Electro 2 is timeless...I'm not sure I would ever give mine up unless the Electro 3 was really all that.

Regards,

Eric

the good thing about Clavia is that they give their updates (new OS, new sounds, impovements etc) for free on their site. So, even with an old Electro like mine (NE 61) you can count on the new, impoved sounds for the future. Plus, like Eric said, Clavia is 1 big item per year, do don't wait till next year for another possible "new Electro". Go and get it now :D
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Thanks for the advice and I'm definitely snooping around for one.

But... (And I know I'm treading on hallowed ground) I do think that, as great as it already is, there is certainly room for improvement with the NE2. Reverb is an obvious issue. There is apparently a low ouput level, and a noise level with the Hi EQ.

It sounds like there is also a new sound engine for the C1 and over time I'd guess that some of this might migrate into a new Elcetro model.

Again, I know its an A+ board, but if a new Electro was too be released sometime between now and Summer NAMM, I'd have no problem waiting.

But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks again for the advice,

JP

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

They have said they would not be migrating their new organ engine back into Electro. Whatever that means. Maybe a new single keyboard non Electro later.

For the low output level problem, use the headphone out which is a lot hotter.

Reverb - real men don't use reverb live!

Hi EQ - never noticed this on mine, as I understand it you don't hear a glitch if you don't have notes down when you turn it.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

I spoke with Jonas (I think that was his name?) from Nord at the NAMM show about this very topic. He said the same thing as Eric basically; even if they did upgrade, what would they do? Some small things for me would be adding reverb for an effect, and I personally would like to see the keyboard start on an E instead of an F, maybe real drawbars? Either way, I got the distinct impression the next thing/upgrade would be a synth. That's all I could get out of them. But they did say that they only have bandwidth for one or maybe 2 (at the very most) product upgrades per year. That could put a new Electro, if at all, not until NAMM 2009 possibly. I personally am in the hunt for one, and not waiting.

Good choice,

I still use my electro 61 which I bought 2001! I don't think I've had one single keyboard except for my rhodes and schimmel piano which have lasted with me for that long and I don't think I ever will sell it.

You can always complement the electro with external effects and pedals, I'm using an eq pedal from vintagebua in norway, it's actually a preamp for a rhodes and piano and a leslie 2101 for the hammond.

I'm currently thinking of uying the nord stage but that won't replace the electro.

/FZ

JP,

I'm an NE2-73 owner and I simply love it. Of course, it is getting old but it's still great at what it does. There is still no alternative to it in the market today, as an extremely compact and lightweight top-quality clonewheel AND EP/Wurli/Clav machine. And because it's a mature model, I assume it would be possible to find a used one for a good price.

Now, regarding the speculation about a possible NE3 coming soon - I wouldn't hold my breath for two reasons: First, as said above, Clavia is a very small company and they are already busy with the new C1 Organ. Second, there IS already an NE3 (sort of)... it's called Nord Stage Compact, it has exactly the same keybed and body as the NE2-73, and it's pretty much an updated Electro on Steroids in terms of its features, so there is little need for another intermediate model between the Stage and the Electro IMO. Of course, the Stage is much pricier (for good reasons, though), so I speculate that the NE2 will pose itself as Clavia's "entry-level" virtual electro-mechanical for quite some time.

Now, regarding the instrument itself, I strongly recommend you get the 73 version. The weight and size overhead is small, yet the added octave is a must for ALL the EPs, as well as for the organ in split manual mode!

Good luck,

Noam

P.S. 1st post here 8-)

JP,

I'm an NE2-73 owner and I simply love it. Of course, it is getting old but it's still great at what it does. There is still no alternative to it in the market today, as an extremely compact and lightweight top-quality clonewheel AND EP/Wurli/Clav machine. And because it's a mature model, I assume it would be possible to find a used one for a good price.

Noam: congratulations on your first post and welcome to the list. But I gotta say, I was really surprised at the high resale value of the NE. Just a week ago I saw an original NE 61 sell for over $1100 on ebay. It was within $100 of what a brand new NE 2 61 would cost! I'm sure deals come up occasionally but I looked for a month and couldn't find one,

JP

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I think this is a machine which most of its owners are keen to keep hold of, which tells you something about its quality.

I was very lucky to grab hold of a 73 (post Xmas) on eBay UK for around 800UKP (shop new price here about 1200UKP). It's virtually as-new and included the Nord soft case in that deal, but it was pretty exceptional - I had been watching eBay for two and a half months before that and seen only eBay stores offering them more or less the same as list, if not a little more.

By the way, I agree - get the 73. It's a ludicrously light and compact little board anyway.

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Casio PX S1000 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue | Native Instruments Maschine MK3 | Novation Circuit Tracks | Plug-ins Agogo

Archived