Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

poly evolver

zahush76

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zahush76:

i know this must sound pretty stupid, but canb you play mono leads on the poly evolver? is there a switch to chnage from poly to mono and back?

Can you? I don't know. Will you?

While the PE has the techology available to switch easily between poly and mono (plus lots of cool unison features and note-off options), it is against the law in at least a dozen US states to play mono leads on the PE.

So the answer to your question fully depends on which state you live in. I have broken this law in VA, because I can and I will.

i know this must sound pretty stupid, but canb you play mono leads on the poly evolver? is there a switch to chnage from poly to mono and back?

The PEK has several key modes. Poly, Mono, Unison 1 (slightly detuned) and Unison 2 (more than slightly detuned). It's very easy to switch between the modes - in program mode, the combo part buttons will do it.

dB

DSI

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by eric:

While the PE has the techology available to switch easily between poly and mono (plus lots of cool unison features and note-off options), it is against the law in at least a dozen US states to play mono leads on the PE.

So the answer to your question fully depends on which state you live in. I have broken this law in VA, because I can and I will.

Eric, the North Carolina Keyboard Corner Forumites - Research Triangle Park contingent - has met.

After reading this post, it was unanimously agreed that we would all chip in to buy you a beer.

The vote, by a show of hands and hooves, lasted all of about three (3) seconds.

No worries. We're here for ya man. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Eric, the North Carolina Keyboard Corner Forumites - Research Triangle Park contingent - has met.

After reading this post, it was unanimously agreed that we would all chip in to buy you a beer.

The vote, by a show of hands and hooves, lasted all of about three (3) seconds.

No worries. We're here for ya man. :thu:

I thought you would find my post. I hid it here for you and I'm glad you found it. :thu: I've been a bad boy playing mono leads on my MEK because I can.

I still think the original poster needs to ground his willingness to play mono leads on his PE. Hopefully he found the "Prog Monster" and the "Generations" sounds on his PE. The next question is will he play chords? Will he play them so much that he needs to buy a second PE in order to use Poly Chain? I really don't know.

So when am I getting that beer, Tom? :mad:

So when am I getting that beer, Tom? :mad:

Eric, all kidding aside, there is nothing that I'd rather do than sit down with you and my forum friends from NC for a beer or ten.

The guys that I've met from the forum - BluesKeys, cnegrad, LearJeff, Zeronyne, and many others - are quality folk. And I've exchanged emails and talked on the phone with a lot of others here. I've always thought it would be really fun to organize a special jam session one weekend and see how many people from The Keyboard Corner we can get to come.

Eric, it's been awhile since I've gotten in the car and headed North up I-95 towards Richmond, but don't be too surprised to hear from me one day.

I'll bring the beer. :thu:;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

another thing i do not understand is the polyphony issue. we're talking about a man who made the prophet 30 years ago with a 5 note polyphony. 30 years later he makes a keyboard with great sounds - but less polyphony than 30 years ago? isn't something fucked up here???
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

i know you can midi-chain more polyevolvers to get more polyphony. the question is why dave smith can't make a keyboard that don't need any extra chaining? for example, the andromeda is 16 voice polyphony and has analog ocilators. why should i pay for extra evolvers? can't he make a single polyevolver that has 8 voice polyphony?

I went through the same thinking prior to buying PEK and rack. I was so set on having 8 voices in the keyboard that I talked to Dave Smith about what it would take besides pulling out the printed wire board from the Evolver rack unit and mounting it in the PEK (there's room). He said you'll need a beefier power supply (easy since it's external ) along with internaly wiring up the midi (polychain)and audio/mixer connections. Internal heat was not a concern You also need to properly terminate the front panel buttons/knobs on the rack or tape down the whole front panel insid the PEK some where.

After living with the PEK and Rack for a while I totally forgot about this (until now). The polychain is so well implemented that I forget the rack is even there. I never (well maybe twice) have to touch the rack and you have the advantage of taking just the rack (maybe) if you gig. Also for resale I think it would work in your favor. I also like having the additional outputs. I don't chain the audio but rather bring both sets of outputs to my mixer.

I went through the same thinking prior to buying PEK and rack. I was so set on having 8 voices in the keyboard that I talked to Dave Smith about what it would take besides pulling out the printed wire board from the Evolver rack unit and mounting it in the PEK (there's room). He said you'll need a beefier power supply (easy since it's external ) along with internaly wiring up the midi (polychain)and audio/mixer connections. Internal heat was not a concern You also need to properly terminate the front panel buttons/knobs on the rack or tape down the whole front panel insid the PEK some where.

There's also the fact that an 8 voice PEK would be around $4k, which is about what one would expect to pay for a PEK/PER combo. We felt that the four voice model would be a better idea because it would be so much nore affordable...especially since it can be seamlessly expanded by anyone who wants to do so.

Also, there are many of our users who look at it for exactly what it is - a four voice version of the mono Evolver. In that perspective, it's pretty great. Think of it this way - if Moog were to come out with a four voice version of the Mini, I'd be very surprised if anyone would fret about the low polyphony. :D

Bottom line - real analog is expensive. It's even more expensive when you're a small boutique company making small quantities of your instruments.

After living with the PEK and Rack for a while I totally forgot about this (until now). The polychain is so well implemented that I forget the rack is even there. I never (well maybe twice) have to touch the rack and you have the advantage of taking just the rack (maybe) if you gig. Also for resale I think it would work in your favor
:idea::thu:

Speaking as someone else who has a PEK/PER combo, you really do literally forget the PER is there.

dB

DSI

for some obscure reason the andromeda a6 is capable of 16 voice polyphony - and it has analog oscillators. and it doesn't cost 4k.
There are several reasons, including the fact that Andromeda is manufactured by a big company who have a whole bunch more resources and can manufacture in Asia less expensively and in greater quantities than DSI, who builds in California.

Also, Andromeda isn't made of metal, doesn't have wood end panels or light-up acrylic wheels, only has two oscs per voice as opposed to the PEKs four per voice...

....you get the idea....

I'm not saying one is better than the other - I'm just trying to point out that the comparison may not be as straightforward as you make it seem. ;)

dB

DSI

Also, Andromeda isn't made of metal, doesn't have wood end panels or light-up acrylic wheels,

well than i'll gladly give up the metal, the wood and the acrylic materials (if that's what makes it more expensive) for more polyphony

I suppose we'll never see an anolgue synth that is as cheap per voice as the A6 again.

It's price is a stunning exception, no clue how they managed that.

Here's some prices vor one analogue voice (mostly from Analogue Haven):

Andromeda A6: 158

2nd hand Waldorf Pulse: around 300

Poly Evolver Rack 337

Jomox SunSyn 437

MFB Synth2 549

SE Omega 8 555

Poly Evolver Keyboard 600

and, hmm

SE 1X 1599

Moog Voyager 2895

Cwejman S1 2995

MacBeth M5 4495

I know that this is partially apples and peaches, but anyway, the Evolvers are not the most expensive synths.

Strange - you haven't mentioned your preference for how the PEK sounds and its features compared to the A6 or any thing else. I love the A6 and highly recommend it. The PEK sounds way different. Do you prefer what one does over the other polyphony aside? I also love the Voyager. When that was coming out I thought people were nuts to buy a mono over the A6. I bought my Voyager after the A6. One voice - but I love the sound.

Not badgering you here - but comparing theses boards is like comparing Dells and oranges.

- but comparing theses boards is like comparing Dells and oranges.

I solely made a price comparison to prove that the A6 is incredibly cheap, that's all.

Otherwise, I usually don't compare synthesizers, I always see them as unique instruments and try to discover their best sides and what's special for each one.

The reason why I like the Evolvers is quite simple: they give me ideas.

In opposite to Dave Price I don't think that the PEK can sound like a Moog or Prophet, and that is good. I had a Little Phatty a while ago for a review, and loved it's basic sound. But I used to make oldstyle Moog tracks with it. Not that this is bad, but basically any synth can make basses, pads, leads - one better, the other worse - but I didn't have one yet that makes Evolver sounds. These were new to me and still are quite suprising even after some years of owning it.

Actually I was quite bored when beeing asked to program an analogue style sound bank ;)

If you need a beefy Moog bass, take Voyager or LP, it just takes a minute to program one, nothing can go wrong, they have that surprisingly broad sweet spot. If you need a creamy Oberheim pad, take an Andromeda, you won't even need to program it, they are all around. You could even use a Virus VA, rarely someone will hear the difference in a mix.

With the Evolver I occasionally need an hour until one sound is programmed. But after that half of my composition is already finished. Ok, most times the result isn't one that pleases other musicians, but I have a lot of fun.

If I use a Moog, I say, now I'm gonna program a bass. Usually that works. With the Evolver, I could do the same, but I say instead: Now I'll try to program a sound. Usually that works, but I'll never know before if it will be bass, pad, trash.

That's my very personal approach and I am aware that it is not portable to other people.

Btw, I apologize if I need too many words for simple statements and hope that you understand what I like to say at all. I have problems dooing this in my native language and in English it's even worse ;)

well than i'll gladly give up the metal, the wood and the acrylic materials (if that's what makes it more expensive) for more polyphony
That's just part of it. There's all kinds of factors. The biggest one is definitely that whole big company with a ton more resources manufacturing bigger quantities in Asia vs. small company with very few resources manufacturing smaller quantities in the US thing.

The bottom line is that they both are what they are, and neither of them are changing any time soon. If the most analog voices for the least amount of money is the most important thing for you, Andromeda is probably the way to go. They're incredible synths - I own two. If on the other hand, you're more interested in an analog/digital hybrid with a fairly unique sonic signature, then the PEK might suit you better.

In the end, it's all about the sound, though. Look at Moog - they sell the daylights out of the Voyager, and it costs more than the PEK...and it's only got one voice. ;)

dB

DSI

- but comparing theses boards is like comparing Dells and oranges.

I solely made a price comparison to prove that the A6 is incredibly cheap, that's all.

Bluescreen

I was directing my comment to the original poster. I totally agree with your well written reply.

Archived