Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg CX3 Discontinued in UK

stu3284

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I presume its just due to lack of sales in the UK market. But the bigger question has to be, is Korg discontinuing the clonewheel product all together, or do they have something in the works to replace it?

I've gotta say, I still love mine. And as others have said, there's a certain vibe and playability to it that's unique to it over other clones. I also think its still The Clone Of Choice if you're not playing with a Leslie or Motion Sound rotary speaker.

I will say that I was annoyed that KORG didn't have the CX3 or the BX3 at NAMM this year, and when I asked them about it they said 'Oh we just like to exhibit our NEW products'. Well most other companies don't neccesarily take that approach so I was kind of annoyed. I hadn't had the chance to play on either of these and was looking forward to getting the opportunity at NAMM.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Well I just looked in the Korg Proview (their consumer catalogue that comes out yearly) and there is no trace of the clonewheels. Uh oh. That thing usually has everything KORG has on the market, be it new OR a year or two old; it has the Triton extreme and MicroKorg for instance.

This could be a bad sign.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Originally posted by Bobadohshe:

I will say that I was annoyed that KORG didn't have the CX3 or the BX3 at NAMM this year ...

CX-3 and BX-3 haven't been present at NAMM for atleast 2 years maybe more. I don't know if tKorg is phasing these out but I think it's common among manufacturers not to bring out thier complete line for the show. Some do and some don't.

Originally posted by Markyboard:

Originally posted by Bobadohshe:

I will say that I was annoyed that KORG didn't have the CX3 or the BX3 at NAMM this year ...

CX-3 and BX-3 haven't been present at NAMM for at least 2 years maybe more. I don't know if tKorg is phasing these out but I think it's common among manufacturers not to bring out thier complete line for the show. Some do and some don't.
Now that you mention it you are absolutely right. They didn't have it at NAMM last year either. This year they weren't showing the Triton Extreme either. But that's in the catalogue, yet the organs aren't. Their sales are probably lagging. You can get a used car for the cost of the dual manual KORGAN. They are too expensive.

I can help clarify things for you all.

The CX/BX are not actually discontinued. In Europe the products cannot be sold anymore due to strict ROHS requirements, which these products do not pass. So they have been discontinued there.

But we continue to support and sell them in the US, Canada, and many other markets.

As for ProView, blame their absence on our having too many new products to fit them. We chose not to increase the size of the magazine to accomodate everything we sell plus the new itmes, so (sadly) I had to leave them out. But rest assured they are still around.

Regards,

Jerry Kovarsky

Korg Guy

Appreciate the clarification indeed.

Originally posted by ELP71:

Good news, Jerry! Any updates in store for the clones (had to ask)?

Oh, there's an idea I could get behind. It would be a great way to revitalize the product in the current, more contested market without another development cycle. One would image the update also applying to the OASYS's built-in CX-3 so the benefits of developing an update would be doubled.

• 1 month later...

PD goes dumpster diving but I'd like to hear more about the CX3 from users.

I recently played it, like the 2 sets of drawbars and overall it sounds pretty good. The Nord offers more sounds at a similar price point but... ;)

While I'm not convinced about how much longer the CX3 will be around, it could serve my 2nd board needs if I choose to get one.

Anyway, have you all had any issues with reliability and/or is the board fairly solid?

Of course, I have a great service department in this area but I'd rather not look forward to using it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Love my old CX3. Best overall B3 clone where you don't have a Leslie. In light of $1K. That would bring on a new surge of interest (and would allow me to replace my dying, overplayed, and generall beat to s**t CX3.

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

ProfD, if you've only played it in the shops, you may not have heard the full capabilities of the CX-3. I guess it depends on your styles and taste, but I never did much like most of the presets (alot of them favouring hard rock sounds or more novelty sounds - I guess to illustrate its variety of tones).

But if you load in some of the well regarded David Jacques' presets from the Clonewheel list (which he made by comparing to his four B3's of various ages), they're significantly improved in terms of a more "raw" B3 vibe, IMHO.

I concur with the idea that it's the best B3 clone out there for playing without a real Leslie. If you would choose to lug a Leslie however, the Hammond XK-3 and XK-1 would be worthwhile considerations. But even then, I think Bill above would agree that the CX-3 has a vibe of its own that's very addictive and playable.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. The first clonewheel I ever played was the original CX3.

Going through the presets and starting from scratch, I heard enough in the newer CX3 to know that I could work with it.

Just wondering whether or not anyone has had issues with the QC (quality control) aspect of it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived