Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modelling sympathetic resonance

FXM

If you don't have a sympathetic resonance effect, what is the best way to model (/mimic) it?

I'm thinking along the lines of using an EQ change, or something similar, that happens when you press down the sustain pedal. It doesn't have to completely realistic.

Any ideas?

Neil

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For postprocessing, SIR, a free convolution-based plugin. However, this plugin has too much latency to work very well for live playing.

I believe there is a convolution plugin devised to minimize latency (which also reduces the kinds of responses it can geneterate), but I don't remember which one.

In either case, you need a filter kernal (impulse file) recorded from a piano harp. And there's a big problem: the plugin doesn't get damper up/down information, so it will tend to be too wet when playing with the damper down (pedal up).

You didn't say as to whether you trying to do this on a computer or in hardware. Here's a plugin designed to do this.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/images/psppianoverb.gif

PSP PianoVerb is a completely free plug-in for any VST, MAS and DirectX compatible host (such as Cubase, Logic, Nuendo, Sonar, DigitalPerformer). It reproduces special kind of reverberation originally provided by piano strings. It generates reverberation using twelve string operators with adjustable damping and decay time. Each of them is tuned to a particular note starting from A(55Hz) to a G#(103.8Hz). The PSP PianoVerb string system can be transposed in the range of +-24 semitones, tuned within a range of +-100 cents and be detuned as well. Transposing to lower octaves produces a bigger and less resonant sound similar to traditional reverbs, while in turn transposing to higher octaves produces a very bright harp-like effect.

PSP Pianoverb FREE!!!

Busch.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at the Pianoverb plug-in. I'd use it on a hardware synth connected to the audio in of my PC.

However, I guess the problem will be that it will not respond to pedal up/down, which is crucial.

Neil

GigaStudio 3 has this built-in. The piano resonance in GigaPulse changes when you press the sustain pedal up or down, and resonance is created using convolution reverb processing. It's a very cool effect. It's built into GigaPiano 2, but other piano libraries have used the effect as well and you can add it yourself to any library.

Originally posted by Neil Scully:

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at the Pianoverb plug-in. I'd use it on a hardware synth connected to the audio in of my PC.

However, I guess the problem will be that it will not respond to pedal up/down, which is crucial.

Neil

You might look at using plugin automation. One workaround would be to record sustain CC#64 on your piano track and then copy this data to the FX automation track.

Busch.

Archived