Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the best piano sound in a module

Keybass

I'm looking for the warmest most natural sounding piano sound in a module. I have tried the motif es/korg and roland offerings as well as the receptor. I think the Motif is the best sounding for practical applications while Ivory is great for solo playing.

I'm wondering what's the best for all around playing/recording and performance, opinions welcomed.

Peace

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ferran rc:

GEM RP-X Piano Expander :thu:

Agree! I bought one because I do not want to use the computer when making music anymore. In my opinion the RP-X is the only module that comes close to the dynamics and realism of Synhthogy Ivory (my favorite piano soft synth before going "hardware only").

You can listen to some recordings I have made with the RP-X here . It is the "famous" Purgatory Creek MIDI file. You can compare it with lot of other software and hardware synths here .

The GEM RP-X has been available in Europe since the beginning of December and should soon be available in the US. Did anyone see it at NAMM?

Kind regards,

Tommy

Originally posted by TommyF:

.....The GEM RP-X has been available in Europe since the beginning of December and should soon be available in the US.....

Man, I hope so! I've had serious GAS, at least conceptually, for this thing since the introduction of the Promega 3! From what I understand, the GEM reps in the U.S. already have theirs, and they should be released to the stores within the next month. Specifically which stores will carry the RP-X, however, needs to be better defined.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The "warmest most natural sounding piano sound" is a very subjective concept.

In the case of real grands, some prefer a brighter sound, others prefer a darker sound, etc.

Same goes with the digitals. Each brand offers certain characteristics in their sound.

Here's one that will get shouted down by everyone else, but which I find to be infinitely more realistic and playable than anything else on the market - the Nord Electro rack with the mono Steinway patch loaded in.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

With all due respect, every single person who gives you an opinion is probably wrong unless you agree with them. The reason is because your asking a very subjective question. You really need to listen for yourself as you've been doing and make that decision yourself. As you can see with the few responses you've gotten and maybe will get, there are going to be disrepancies. Are they all right or wrong? It all depends on what you like best. As an example I love the piano on Ivory and Pianoteq. You may or may not like the same ones.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by kanker.:

Here's one that will get shouted down by everyone else, but which I find to be infinitely more realistic and playable than anything else on the market - the Nord Electro rack with the mono Steinway patch loaded in.

That's good news for me, Kanker...I've only heard the piano sound that comes with the electro and I didn't like that one at all. I'm more convinced now of getting the electro rack, though I've still haven't seen it used in eBay....

Originally posted by cd1981:

Originally posted by kanker.:

That's good news for me, Kanker...I've only heard the piano sound that comes with the electro and I didn't like that one at all. I'm more convinced now of getting the electro rack, though I've still haven't seen it used in eBay....
Just be forewarned - most guys don't like any of the piano sounds from the electro, but at the same time many of them have never played them with a piano weighted 88, which makes a big difference in terms of their playability. They are pretty much unplayable on the Electro or on typical synth action. As there's no reverb on the Electro, you either have to like/get used to a dry piano sound (like I have), or get an external reverb.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I don't really like the Roland SRX-11 piano card in my XV-2020 combo. I use the SRX-12 Rhodes card because I play the Rhodes sound 99% of the time.

The extra SRX-11 piano card is just in there in case of an emergency where I absolutly must use a piano soun, which is rare.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.

Archived