Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More Kawai ES4 "clackity" black keys

Jazz1642606857

Update and warning:

I'm on my second ES4 now and the black keys are clacking loudly after only two months of use and I don't even play hard. This is my second ES4, the first one pulled the same crap and went back.

It's so annoying.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jazz+

I've had mine for about a year now, but just one black key is still clicking. The good news is that the key has continued to play without a problem so I deciced to ignore it. However, I can see where several keys with this clicking noise would be unacceptable. I guess some ES4 owners have the problem and others don't. A keyboardist I know bought one shortly after I did and has not had any problems. It's puzzling! Has Kawai acknowledged that this is an issue with some of us?

Napster,

This second ES4 is beyond the lighter "clicking" noises I experienced with my first ES4. The black keys on this second ES4 are not clicking, they are "clacking" many times louder than the "clicking" was on my first ES4. They are really loose and the slightest off angle stroke sends them clacking sideways . They were quiet when I first got it, but after two months it's gotten really bad and is impossible to ignore.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.

I have an early version of the FP2 and the action is much stiffer than the action in the current FP2. The current FP2 action is lighter, it's like what is in the RD-300SX.

I had a light clicking develop on an MP4 (same keybed / action) this turned out to be nothing more than bad key molding on the inside of the keys (very slight and small mould flashing which was easy to remove on the inside front edge of some keys) Considering how small this defect was it made a big and horrible noise.

I would send the keyboard (the es4 back) if it is clacking as you say this should be covered by warranty they have 3 year warranty for home keyboards as standard and one year warranty for stage instruments but if you send back all the correct documentation and register they (Kawai) will extend your stage instrument warranty to three years. (this is what happened with me)

(Kawai UK though)

I sold the Kawai and got the Rd after this as the price dropped on the Rd's

Archived