Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Really OT: Need to buy a new printer

Chris Link

My printer is dying. It's an Epson all-in-one and what's comes out looks like the handwriting of a drunk heading into DTs.

I hate the thing, in part, because if one ink cartridge is out, it won't print at all. And the ink cartridges always have ink in them when the machine says they're empty. I got some class action notification a while back over the non-empty ink issue, but in general I dislike class action suits. I get a coupon for a couple of ink cartridges and some law firm takes home a million bucks. I never sent it in.

Any suggestions for a replacement? I've always had pretty inexpensive inkjet printers and they all suck in some fashion. I never use the scanner or fax (I think this thing faxes), but it is nice to have a copier around. It is a business expense, so I could spend a little more on something decent, I suppose.

Or is there some way to fix this? I bought ink, of course, just before this thing goes into it's seizures. Head cleaning doesn't help.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same old HP DeskJet as years ago. By today standards, many would certainly say it gives quite ordinary quality for prints of photo/pictures but hey, it still works flawlessly since day one. So why would I change it? :)

IMHO : better mechanism and build quality than similar priced printers from other brands. Of course, opinions may vary.

I've got a HP inkjet that's WI-FI compatible.

It's nice because it is easily connected to my wireless network. I can print from any of the five computers in my home with no fuss (no muss). ;)

Mine is no longer available, but the replacement is the HP 6980DT.

Plus, you can buy HP ink cartridges most anywhere. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

They have a place in Raleigh, NC that refills cartridges called Cartridge World for half the price of new ones and the last as long as far as I can tell.

I have an old inkjet HP 842C and it has worked well for years.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

My Lexmark all-in-one has been totally trouble free. I only wish the scanner had been a flatbed. And, like HP, you can get the cartridges anywhere.

It's possible now to get laser printers comparitively cheap, but you have to be careful. A printer might only cost a little, but the supplied cartridge can be smaller than normal, and in the case of some of the laser printers, a replacement cartridge can cost more than the printer.

Shop around, find one in the price range you want with the features you want, and remember to check the replacement cartridge costs.

Stay away from Best Buy. I had a horrible experience with them recently locally, and I will never walk through their doors again.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I've had good luck with my Epson. HP is what I avoid because they were the first to puch chips in the ink cartridges to make them expire after being installed for a while.

Do you need color? If not, for $200 you can get a Lexmark E240 laser printer. I've replaced most of our cheap HP's with these. Paper jams are easy to get out and they seem reliable. I probably have 20 of these spread around in our offices. In the long run they are cheaper because laser tonar is cheaper per page than ink.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by misterdregs: My printer is dying. It's an Epson all-in-one and what's comes out looks like the handwriting of a drunk heading into DTs.Any suggestions for a replacement?
You provided very little information... (exact model?)

But it appears you have Multifunction machine from Epson and Inkjet at that.

If you ask any service, that is always the worst marriage when one function fails. They work most of the time, but you should never ever try to save money on Multifunction. Never buy cheap Multifunction device or you will continue spending again and again and it wont be on Ink either.

Epson is hardly a newcomer, like many others, had its fair share of mistakes and created some superb models, specially with top photo printers.

HP is traditional choice and in many cases a very safe one. For laser printers HP is my only choice.

But presently Canon PIXMA range of printers, offers probably the best price/performance. Refined head technology, and probably most economical refills compared to competition.

Also, they look fantastic.

Since you failed to mention what is your model

Have you even tried using the "clean head" option with Epson's software? Some Epson printers have a very nasty "feature" not very loved with users/services.

Some more affordable Epson printers had a notorious anomaly, to be more exact, if not used for prolonged period of time, most likely head would require service maintenance (cleaning) sort of cleaning that is overkill for average user.

Note that refills that come from third parties - I've spoke with the guy who is servicing printers for almost 20 years. Unlikely many, he is independed from HP or Lexmark's "promo stimulation", and told me that some substitute refills are so good compared to original ones,that sometimes in shortage, even big names would purchase those and simply put their label on top of that. Pure logic, nobody can afford to make garbage like they did before. True, there are some serious variations out there with some Inks, and some are (visibly) very poor and of questionable quality. If you often substitute refills, I strongly recommend refills from Pelican.

Considering the delicacy of any photo printer and reason for their primary use, never use substitute

ink on these. Only original.

If you are looking for new Multifunction device. Save your money elsewhere, and choose only

more expensive models. Minolta (laser) would be my choice.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

For the record, the current printer is CX5400. I have done the head cleaning and alignment and all the troubleshooting stuff suggested on their site.

Having the copier is nice, albeit only for small jobs as it is really slow. I have used the scanner once or twice. I never print photos. I do occasionally need color. My overall volume is pretty modest.

Does a color laser or multi-function make sense?

Thanks again.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I just got a cheapo Epson R260 and it is great. No doubt ink will cost, but I only paid $80 for it so if it breaks I can just toss it.

The nice thing about this unit is it prints CDs (you need ink jet printable ones) and they look great. Using it to do the band demos.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Did some homework and decided a color laser might be the way to go. I discovered that Sam's Warehouse does on-line auctions and they had the well-regarded Konica-Minolta 2430DL (about a dozen of them, actually, were being auctioned). I got it for $190 plus shipping. They go for around $350!

However, it made an awful racket and refused to work. Tech support did some trouble-shooting and they sent a second one by 2nd day UPS.

This one went through the setup OK, but my iMac wouldn't automatically install from the CD (like it does for everything else). Back to tech support- he walks me through the install. It was in a folder called "Drivers", not in the one that says "Install". Go figure.

A test print looks like hell. Looks like the ink was applied with an eyedropper. Not exactly crisp laser precision. We run the calibration again. We check about five other things. He's about to arrange for another printer to be sent, when he asks if I still have the old one there. He has me pull a large part out of the middle. I forget what he called it, but it's got a green handle and it sits behind the ink cartridges. I put the one from the first printer in and it works great.

Only a wasted hour and ten minutes on the phone, faxing him some test prints. It works, but as I told him, I am less than impressed so far. It prints really nice, though.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Update: Did some homework and decided a color laser might be the way to go. I got it for $190 plus shipping. They go for around $350! Not exactly crisp laser precision.

You've made a good choice.

From reading about your plans. As with many other owners with moderate page printing needs, you will forget about ink changing routine with this baby. Please make sure you have completely working printer. This price is very good, and hope there is no catch to follow. Understand that you will never have inkjet quality of photos, but for general writing and more then decent graphic use color laser in this class is surely headache free solution. Good luck.

Archived