Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

lynard skynyrd piano

scottasin

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like that style of southern rock boogie playing, you should check out Chuck Leavell's playing with the Allman Brothers, starting with "Jessica".

And then visit the master, Billy Payne, from Little Feat.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

If you like that style of southern rock boogie playing, you should check out Chuck Leavell's playing with the Allman Brothers, starting with "Jessica".

+1 and +1! "Waiting for Columbus" is on my iPod at all times. :D

As a young piano player I learned how to integrate piano into a rock band from listening to Billy Powell on Skynyrd albums. Anyone who could compete with three guitars had it goin' on as far as I was concerned!

Still, the live version of Freebird with the piano solo definitely belongs on stepay's overplayed music store songs thread! :) I can play that part in my sleep, in fact I'm sure I probably did just that once or twice. ;)

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Aw, come on. The real Billy Powell shit is the live versions of "I Know A Little" and "Call Me The Breeze" from Tribute.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Funny, that's on my list in the next month to finally learn.

VH1 Classics has been playing a lot of BBC live shows from the 70's, and I just caught the Skynyrd one from '76. There is pretty good footage of Billy playing the solo and working the Helpinstill pick-up volume know as he starts it. He really is a great and tasty player....

I was a temporary member of a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band when I was in high school. I learned just about all the piano parts to the One More From the Road album. Great stuff. Billy Powell is unbelievable...one of my biggest keys influences behind Gregg Allman and Taz DiGregorio--the longtime keyboard player in The Charlie Daniels Band. When the CDB was a Southern Rock outfit (as opposed to country and now gospel), Taz did some killer piano and organ playing. Chuck Leavell's work with the Allman Brothers Band is outstanding as well as someone above said. Paul Hornsby (I think was his name) also did some nice session keys work with other Southern Rock bands like Marshall Tucker too.

I was and still am very much into the whole Southern Rock sound. Even with all the guitar work, most of those bands saw the need for and fully appreciated the value of keys in a band and they let those boys jam too.

Some very, very good music was made back then, IMHO.

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Originally posted by b3_john:

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

+1 and +1! "Waiting for Columbus" is on my iPod at all times. :D

As a young piano player I learned how to integrate piano into a rock band from listening to Billy Powell on Skynyrd albums. Anyone who could compete with three guitars had it goin' on as far as I was concerned!

Still, the live version of Freebird with the piano solo definitely belongs on stepay's overplayed music store songs thread! :) I can play that part in my sleep, in fact I'm sure I probably did just that once or twice. ;)

John

Agreed that Freebird should be in that Music Store Hell compilation of mine. Perhaps I will add it tonight. Pretty easy...

Chords - G, D, Em, F, C, D

Regarding Billy Powell, I've definitely enjoyed his playing, but I can't quite put him in the same category as Billy Payne or (in my opinion) the even better Billy Preston...just to name a couple other Billys.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by The Real MC:

How many people can play the piano solo in "I Know a Little"? (raises hand)

And play the bass part with LH? (raises hand)

And sing the song? (raises hand)

And play the bass part with LH? (puts hand down)

And sing the song? (raises hand with the qualification of it may not sound good but I can sing it)

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by The Real MC:

And play the bass part with LH? (raises hand)

And sing the song? (raises hand)

I can play both the piano and guitar parts to "I Know a Little". :cool: In fact I can play LOTS of ABB and Skynyrd songs because those are my roots. :D

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Don't sweat it. Billy probably plays it that way, too. I heard the "Breeze" solo on Tribute and thought it had the most ball-busting octave trill I'd ever heard on a piano in my life. Then I saw Skynyrd live from Billy's side of the stage, and I watched him play said trill with his index fingers, "Chopsticks"-style. I laughed and thought "Oh well, it still sounds bad as hell."

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

This is for the guys who know how to play "I Know a Little". I asked before but never got a good answer. I know everything except the part right before the E-G trill and gliss. He plays it with right hand and I think uses one finger on his left hand also. Does anyone know the notes to this part? Thanks.

Billy Powell is great. I finally learned that verse lick for Sweet Home properly about 4 years ago, and it's still a challenge to get it right every night. It's harder for me because I'm playing rythym guitar, holding a chord then doing the lick.

JH

I don't know how he compares to other piano players, but I do know that Billy Powell's piano playing on "One More From the Road" (the live album) is transcendent and inspiring.

Archived