Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil, Wonder, and Joel honored @ NAMM, 2007

C.J. Lewis

For those of you who will be at the show, the Kurzweil dinner party is taking place at the Anaheim Hilton (California Room) from 6:30-8:30pm on Saturday, the 20th.

Scheduled to appear: Ray Kurzweil, Stevie Wonder, and possibly Billy Joel (who's playing a Kurzweil at the Super Bowl in '07, BTW).

Please come by the Kurzweil booth (303CD), see the new products, and ask for me (CJ) for an invitation. If I am not there, just tell the front desk that I invited you :D

Come see musical history be reinvented...again.

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/news-press.html?Id=1862

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the offer C.J. Depending on if I stay over Sat night or not, I may take you up on this!

Sounds fun!! I'm looking forward to seeing the Kurz stuff - it's not likely that I'd replace either my K2600XS or PC2X anytime soon, but I could be persuaded to add another one to the family maybe... :)

Cheers,

:DTR

It's great to hear Mr. Kurzweil and Mr. Wonder will be honored. I know Mr. Wonder participated in the creation of the K250.

But now... Billy Joel will be honored because he owns a Kurzweil? ;):P

Can I be honored too since I bought three Kurzweil instruments in 15 years (and still own and play them all)? :D

Just kidding. Have fun CJ! :wave:

Have the doors at NAMM opened yet?

Where's the report on the Kurz PC3?

I thought they would have updated their website by now, but Noooooo.

Well? :rolleyes: Cydonia's waiting.

Remember Kurzweil, he's purchased THREE (3) Kurzweil keyboards in the past 15 years. :thu:

And I've bought two and 1/2... I figure the rack is worth at least 1/2, right? :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

And I've bought two and 1/2... I figure the rack is worth at least 1/2, right? :P

Hey Tom, which two do you own besides the PC2X? And do you have all ROMs installed in it? It's still on topic, since we're talking Kurz machines. :)

Originally posted by Cydonia:

Hey Tom, which two do you own besides the PC2X? And do you have all ROMs installed in it? It's still on topic, since we're talking Kurz machines. :)
I own the PC2X fully loaded with orchestral and Classic Keys ROMs, plus the polyphony option.

I was one of the first people in Raleigh to purchase a K2000. I installed an internal hard drive. Now it's got a hum in its outputs (dammit). :mad:

And the rack is a 1000PX with the 'A' block that I purchased used. The 'A' block includes the Rhodes. I used it with my DX7 as a controller. Yes, I know the DX7 didn't output full velocity values. I hate to part with it because I still think this rack has got great sounds in it. They seem to have more depth than the K2000, even though the samples don't have much in the way of extended high frequency.

Before that I built a PAiA 4700.

Before that I had a Fender Rhodes which I purchased new along with a trade of a much older Fender Rhodes from a guy in school who wanted to trade for my RMI.

And before that I had a couple of Wurlitzer 200A EPs. No, I actually owned three of these. The first one had a crack in the circuit board, so, after much arguing, I finally got the store to take it back and get me another. The third one I got by trading an old Advent cassette deck. It was very old... and wooden. It was lost in the flood of Hurricane Floyd. :(

And my first electronic instrument was the one that Dave Horne loves soooooo much; a RMI Electra Piano - assembled and purchased from the RMI factory in my hometown. I didn't know any better. Well, I did, but at the time I bought it (January 1970), the Fender Rhodes had a horrible action, I wasn't crazy about the Wurlitzer, and the guy who sold for RMI/Allen organs was a friend of a friend. At 15 I was kinda overwhelmed with the factory and the technology. Allen organs actually used IBM punch cards to program the voices. They were amazing in how closely they emulated the sound of pipes back then.

I know that's more than you care to know, but you asked. :)

And I appreciate it.

Cydonia, you've got the MIDIBoard controller, a PC2X and a K2600, right? ... or is it the K2500? You don't own the K250, do you?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I know that's more than you care to know, but you asked.

And I appreciate it.

Cydonia, you've got the MIDIBoard controller, a PC2X and a K2600, right?

Thanks for the clarifications, Tom. :)

Got the PC2XL in summer 2005. All it's missing is the poly expansion and a ribbon. But it's gonna happen someday if I have some money.

Waaaay before that, around 1990, after having the ultimate GAS opportunity of a lifetime to play a real K250 for a weekend (I remember I didn't sleep much during the occasion), I decided to buy the Pro-1 module, which (by the way) shares many sounds with your 1000PX plus an additional sound block (mainly guitars and saxes). :P

I also totally agree with you about the 1000 series Rhodes : I love it. I still prefer it to any newer samples when I need that super clean dreamy Rhodes sound à la Vangelis.

Then, a few days later, I figured out I had a big problem : the module didn't have a keyboard. :wave:

http://www.billkopp.com/keyboards/magnus2.jpg

C.J., I look forward to actually FINDING the Kurzweil booth this year, and hope to attend the dinner. And certainly if the keybed action is to my liking, I will be getting a PC3 this year (otherwise waiting on a rack version).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I still have the four 1000 series boxes - PX, SX, HX, GX - fully loaded with all soundblocks. Yeah the PX A block does have nice Rhodes samples - bell and fusion "bark" - but still missing "something" in a real Rhodes.

The 1000GX is a very unique and underrated box - there are samples in there that haven't appeared in ANY Kurzweil product since.

None of them have DSP effects but the samples are top notch. Having four separate modules gives me optimal polyphony when building orchestra scores. One module and I was quickly running out of voices. Two was better, all four was ideal. And I have eight separate audio outputs.

Originally posted by The Real MC:

I still have the four 1000 series boxes - PX, SX, HX, GX - fully loaded with all soundblocks.

I occassionally visit the K1000 forum on Yahoo.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/K1000-K1200/

One of the guys there, who should be moderator, lives here in Raleigh; David Brown. He has quite a few of these modules and knows them inside and out. He has a very informative website:

http://www.alzerom.com/

I think you can pick up one of these on eBay for next to nothing these days. For anyone looking for a great rompler at a bargain price, these are just the ticket.

Take care.

Tom

Originally posted by The Real MC:

I still have the four 1000 series boxes - PX, SX, HX, GX - fully loaded with all soundblocks.

I occassionally visit the K1000 forum on Yahoo.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/K1000-K1200/

Yup, I'm a member there too. I only visit there about once a month though.

Archived