Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what tubes to use for 122xb?

trip44

can any one reccomend what specific type of 6550 i can put in my 122xb? yhe ones that are in there are stock chinese tubes but i want to swap them out with a better type of tube. someone reccomended groove tubes but they have chinese and russian. anyone have any suggestions. thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most new tubes are shite. I bought a brand new Speakeasy Roadbox III whose Sovtek tubes died almost immediately. They sent me a new set pronto and I tried them. They were just OK.

I pulled an older set of Svetlanas out of my leslie and they were noticeably hotter and better sounding than the brand new Sovteks.

I pulled out an old set of Chinese KT88s to try and yup, they still suck.

Brand new Tung Sols are being made again, don't know if the new ones are any good or not.

The gold standard are NOS (new old stock) GE or Tung Sols. They go for $100 - $150 each when you can find them.

Moe

---

I like new Electro Harmonix 6550s in Leslie amps. They have tremendous bass response, very tight, and accurate. And the high-end is nice, without being brittle. And they have a lot of power.

While you're at it, replace the pre-amp tube (the 12AU7... the one farthest to the right if you're looking at the amp from the back of the Leslie). I like Electro-Harmonix in there too, but if you can, try to find an OLD Tung Sol or RCA (old is the key... old but obviously is good shape). The new Tung Sols are crap.

The preamp tube often makes more difference in the tone of the amp than the powertubes. The old RCAs usually sound the best, but the old Tung Sols are very nice and creamy.

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

The gold standard are NOS (new old stock) GE or Tung Sols. They go for $100 - $150 each when you can find them.

The old Tung Sol power tubes sound great however they are not suitable for live use in my experience. They just do not have enough juice and break up very quickly. In the studio, they are fantastic and give you that classic tone.

That's why I keep an original pair around for use in recording, but I gig with a pair of Electro-Harmonix 6550s.

Archived