Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to get balanced 1/4" line-level from a keyboard

Hi everyone, Would you know if there's a direct box that provides an unbalanced 1/4"-in to a balanced 1/4"-out? The mixer I'm using has balanced line-level 1/4"-in . The manual recommends using all balanced cables/connections. With instruments like a keyboard the usual solution I guess is to use a direct box. But any direct box I've seen, has 1/4" unbalanced going to XLR-out mic level. I'm really trying to stay away from adapters and keep everything clean with good cables. So how to convert an unbalanced signal from a keyboard to balanced and keept it 1/4" line level? Thanks for any help or any feedback/comments.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are units designed for keyboardists that I think are exactly what you're talking about. [img]http://www.horizonmusic.com/I_faces/RkMtDi.jpg[/img] http://www.horizonmusic.com/I_faces/DirBxs.htm Also, you could get a couple of XLR-to-balanced 1/4 cables if you have some DI's already (I'm assuming you need stereo). That is sort of an adaptor, but it would also be "clean with good cables."

But if you don't change anything inside the keyboard, the signal will still be essentially unbalanced except for the part between the DI and the Mixer, so you won't really be gaining anything in the way of noise rejection. You might also check out Little Labs Red Eye [url=http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html]right \'cheer[/url] or Counryman Type 85.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

[quote]Originally posted by StoneKnife:But if you don't change anything inside the keyboard, the signal will still be essentially unbalanced except for the part between the DI and the Mixer, so you won't really be gaining anything in the way of noise rejection.[/quote]That's partially true, in that you don't really gain any noise rejection between the keyboard and the DI. However, the run from the DI to FOH can be quite a trip, and that's where balanced, low impedance connections are very handy. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

[quote]Originally posted by ChristopherKemp: [b]True also, but if you're making really long runs to a FOH position you're talking XLR mic cable, which means pretty much any DI box on the market. Super-long 1/4" balanced cables are really rare - you'd probably have to order/build them.[/b][/quote]Yep. My mistake. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Or, you could stop a minute and think.... I can hear things creaking and tumbling in your cranium... almost h-a-v-e it.... there. :idea: Now you already know what I'm going to type, but here it is anyway ;) :D Buy appropriate sized XLR cables. Cut or desolder the XLRm end off. Replace it with a TRS 1/4" end. (Commonly referred to as a stereo or balanced end.) Or, you can purchase the cables, leave them as they are, and additionally buy XLRf to TRS 1/4" adapters. I know, I know.. adapters are the scourge of all musician-dom/recording-dom. Whatever. As a sound mixer and video tech, I'd be lost without my adapter kit. High quality adapters are available, albeit expensive. This ain't rocket science, boys and girls. But it is a fine question, Radian. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived