Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Soft Synths. Which are the best ?

JayBurger

Hi folks...

I am pretty new tp keyboards.. I have played guitar for years, and recently built a home recording studio.

I have a roland RD 300-SX which I love, and have just discovered soft synths, using my roland as the midi controler..

WOW.. I think theyre awesome, I have Proteus VX, and FM7. They are both brilliant.

Do you guys have any you can reccomend, or any tips ?

Cheers.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are off to a good start with a decent ROMpler and one of the best sounding and most CPU efficient FM synths. Since you have those two areas covered I suggest a vintage analog type synth or maybe a good synth that does a variety of things well. Depending on budget,

The Wuzikstation group buy is a really good deal.

Garritan Personnel Orchestra is a great entry level orchestra module.

And for the analog modeling part there are a lot of things I could recommend. Pentagon I, z3ta+, Albino 3, Pro53, VAZ Modular, etc... The list goes on and on. You might want to check out KVR Audio. It is a great place to find out more about virtual instruments.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Go to this website and look around. Lots of softsynths to choose from. Click On Me For The Website

A Newbie question...

Can I get that software to play through a Fantom X, Motif, or Triton Ex. If so what would be the basics of it.? Or would it be better to purchase a dedicated midi controller, such as Novation XioSynth etc...

Thanks

Originally posted by Secret 77:

A Newbie question...

Can I get that software to play through a Fantom X, Motif, or Triton Ex. If so what would be the basics of it.? Or would it be better to purchase a dedicated midi controller, such as Novation XioSynth etc...

Thanks

Depends on what you mean by "play through". You must have a computer capable of running the soft synth. The MIDI out of a Fantom, Motif or Triton can control the soft synth that is running on the computer but the audio portion is generated within the computer. If you already have a Fantom, Motif or Triton you don't really need a dedicated MIDI controller unless you want something with lots of knobs and sliders for programming.

Robert

RABid, I'm diving into the whole soft synth/sampler deal too.

The 1k multimedia workstation bundle (Sampletank 2XL, Sonic Synth, Philharmonik) seems right up my alley. Thought about Komplete 4. I am getting Battery 3 regardless.

I mainly use B&B sounds, however, I do have a lot of samples too.

Does Sampletank offer a level of editing close to Kontakt?

Thanks. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by RABid:

Originally posted by Secret 77:

Depends on what you mean by "play through". You must have a computer capable of running the soft synth. The MIDI out of a Fantom, Motif or Triton can control the soft synth that is running on the computer but the audio portion is generated within the computer. If you already have a Fantom, Motif or Triton you don't really need a dedicated MIDI controller unless you want something with lots of knobs and sliders for programming.

Robert

Robert

:) Thank You...

I have the PC. Need the software. And I do see the value in having a Novation X-Station or XioSynth along with the workstation to get the best of both worlds.

I'm waiting to see how NAMM07 shakes out before I select a workstation. The Novation may help out in the meantime since anything announced this month won't go on sale 'til spring.

I just need to find out if the sofware on Silver Dragons' recommended page will work with the Novation products. I really like some of the samples/demos on that site.

Thanks again all

Check out Spectrasonics: http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/index.html

They make excellent plug-ins. Stylus RMX is a powerful grove module. Atmosphere has been mentioned here of the forum as one of the top soft synths for pads. Trilogy is a huge collection of synth and real bass samples.

I only own Stylus presently, but I can't wait to get my hand on the Universal binary version of Atmosphere when it comes out later this year.

GIGO

Thanks for your replies guys..

I will check out your links..

As regards the question of my style.. I have just started recording (for fun) and I am constantly told I sound like pink floyd & Dave Gilmore... I mainly use synth pads & strings..

Thanks again.

Originally posted by JayBurger:

Thanks for your replies guys..

I will check out your links..

As regards the question of my style.. I have just started recording (for fun) and I am constantly told I sound like pink floyd & Dave Gilmore... I mainly use synth pads & strings..

Thanks again.

Well in that case I recommend Spectrasonics Atmosphere. This is certainly a must have for you. Use the Spectrasonics link posted above to get there. I use Atmosphere, its amazing and has a plethora of sounds which could set your creativity on fire.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Wow silver dragon.. Thats uncanny...

Would you beleive, only today.. I saw that in sound on sound magazine.. and thought it looked good... i turned over the page to remind me to check out their web site...

It must be the will of the force... I have to get one now :thu:

Originally posted by ProfD:

... Does Sampletank offer a level of editing close to Kontakt?

No. SampleTank only lets you change effects, layers and a few other things. Kontakt is much deeper. EmulatorX2 is even deeper than Kontakt.

Robert

Originally posted by RABid:

Originally posted by ProfD:

... Does Sampletank offer a level of editing close to Kontakt?

No. SampleTank only lets you change effects, layers and a few other things. Kontakt is much deeper. EmulatorX2 is even deeper than Kontakt.

Robert

Thanks again. I will check out Emulator X2 as well. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived