Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC2, PC1se & new PC3

cdkey

Hi

I am after some advice about the Kurzweil PC2 (76) not the PC2X(88 weighted)

What are keys like for playing organ and piano?

How many expansion boards can you fit at the same time?

Are they any good in comparison to the new PC1se?

I have read that the PC3 is due in spring 2007, no doubt it will be previewed at Namm

So with this in mind what would be a good ball park figure for a second hand unit in good condition? I have seen one for around £500 sterling probably around $1100 U.S.

On the Kurzweil Europe website they appear to have new expansion roms available for it, does anybody know what these are? There are no details released on the the site yet.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are semi-weighted keys, with PC1SE keys slightly lighter than PC2 (according to what has been written here and elsewhere), so kind of "midway" between organ and piano playing.

Both PC1SE and PC2 can fit up to two expansion ROMs. BTW, I've never heard about new expansion ROMs. The PC1SE has exactly the same sound engine as the PC2 but has both ROMs installed.

the 'new' exp roms I have seen were on the kurzweil.dk web site and they are listed underneath the original two expansion cards (orchestral and vintage keys) as new rom's but there are no details with them, have a look at there site maybe I am mis reading it?

I thought the pc1se was suppose to be fully weighted?

OOOps forgot to mention this in the first bit of the post but I have nord keyboard that has the same action as the electro, I would like to know if the Kurzweil PC2 is the same as this in any way, I am kind of hoping it is slightly less springy or not as fast thus better for piano type stuff.

I have an electro 2 rack, an xk3 hammond, and a pc2 [76 keys, with the classic keys rom installed]. I was trying to corner the clone-wheel market. I have a pc1x - the 88 key version - too. The pc2 keys are semi-weighted. Great for organ and ok for piano and ep, etc, if you are not too anal about kybd action. The action on the pc1x is a weighted action, but the touch is a little lighter than the pc2x and more weighted than the pc2. I never played a pc1se, but i'd be surprised if it was much different than the pc1x - but I don't really know. The pc2 is real versatile because it also sports the Kurzweil B3 clone, KB3, an excellent tonewheel clone in my opinion. I have A/B'd the kb3 to my XK3 and my Nord electro 2 rack organ and it holds up to them just fine - at least to my ears anyway. If I had to have just one Kurzweil board, I'd keep the pc2. I used to have an electro 2/73 and the pc2 keyboard is much better than the electro's in my view. The keys on the electro were kind of short and had a funny lever action - ok for organ but a bit of a whip for anything else. I sold the electro 2 board and got the electro2 rack. Now I'm wanting a E2/61 for a practice board - shudda kept the 73, but I got mad at it! Anyway, the pc2's keys are better for piano and ep - and frankly the piano and ep sounds are much better in the Kurzweil, and just about as good for organ. Looks like the pc3 has the kb3 program too. It'll probably be expensive, but the pc2 prices may fall some. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Thanks for the info Daviel

It's a nightmare deciding to buy without getting to try them and Kurz products over here are none existent in most shops.

I have the nord stage compact which I think is the same as the electro 2, 73 but with aftertouch as you said it's a bit whip! clav and organ great but piano it's a bit odd. So the pc2 is much better for piano. I will have to make the trip and try it out then. This has got be easier to move about than my RD hopefully.

Thanks again Daviel for some more insight into the pc2 board It's starting to sound ok for what I want,

dual purpose bottom board which is ok for organ and smaller / lighter than my 700sx for transporting around. I have been using my Rd and it is a very nice piano action but the keys are not all that suited to some organ styles. It hurts sometimes (seriously) (previous board was better for this (kawai MP4) the keys were more rounded and springer compared to the roland.

what board are you using on the demos on the website? (organ wise) (demos are good by the way)

Thank you for the kind comments about the demo. Actually I used the PC2 and the electro 2/73 on the demo. I had the electro 2/73 a day when we did the demo! Not much of a learning curve I guess. The guitar player is from England by the way, Jim Russell, standing nxt to me on my left.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I have both the PC2X and the PC2 - I love the feel of the PC2 - it is fine for gigging - I got tired of lugging the pc2x around - I control a Motif ES rack from it and I have to say again that the K is the easiest midi controller I have ever used - the keys are a compromise between a piano and an organ - the velocity sensitivity is great - very very useable - I used to gig w a Motif ES 7 - great board but I had so much trouble controlling the sound - blaah blaah blaah.

Besides the PC2 is 35 pounds!!! LOVE IT!

KB3 is a special operating mode in the Kurzweils, in which the sliders/buttons become drawbars and dedicated controls for the original Hammond percussion thingies and so on. You also can choose between several "B3 modeling" patterns, something that's replaced by normal "sample sets" in non-KB3 mode. To make a long story short, more possibilities in KB3 mode for organ sounds, sure, but you still have lots of possibilities in non-KB3 mode : several B3 keymaps (sets of samples), like the B3 wave for drawbar combinations 888000000, 888800000, 888888888, etc. You also have keyclick and sine wave keymaps to complete your personal programmation of B3 sounds without KB3 mode. You can also assign sliders or buttons to do things like "percussion on/off", drawbar preset changes or other stuff, and this without the KB3 mode.

Some of my favorite B3 sounds on my PC2X don't even use the KB3 mode (they are in the "normal" internal voices mode).

I personally don't use KB3 mode so often. KB3 mode is IMHO a must only if you're the kind of guy who constantly changes drawbars while playing, like certain players used to do.

Last thing I forgot to mention : the details above referred to the PC2 series. But I'm almost 100% sure that the PC1 series have the same keymaps/samples sets as well.

Of course, if you're looking for perfect B3 emulation, there are other products more specialized in this goal. But for my occasional B3 needs, the Kurz does the job very well. :wave:

Archived