Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sharper Image Rock 'n Roll (up) Piano

resigned

While we're all waiting for NAMM I thought I'd share this fun and funky toy, the Sharper Image Play\'n Roll Piano:

http://images.sharperimage.com/all/en/images/products/gu001_pip.jpg

Roll-up pianos are nothing new but what is new is that some places are blowing them out for under $40 (as in the link above). I got one locally for $36 as an after-Christmas item.

Oh yes, the no-action sucks and takes some getting used to but I've had a blast playing Jerry Lee Lewis on this thing at the local bar. Built-in cheezy rhythms are perfect for faking "Margaritaville" for those who enjoy mocking themselves. The Play'n Roll claims to have 100 sounds but really it's about 4 sounds with 96 variations, although the piano and organ sounds are better than I expected. It has a sustain button that makes playing a little better and it runs off of 4 AA batteries or it's included AC adapter.

I've been looking for something sleezy to play "Happy Birthday" with at victim's tables and was about to get a melodica. The rollup piano is more versatile and gets big laughs. Might even pay for itself in tips. :freak:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried a really crappy one once. The keys were not keys at all, but had buttons under neath the plastic. Also the keys were like a garbage bag type of plastic feel. This meant that you actually had to find the little round button underneath the key and press it. It was also monophonic. Not playable in the slightest. I am assuming this is better - ie you can hit the key anywhere to produce a note. I don't suppose it has midi?...
I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

There are buttons under the plastic but they feel much better than what you describe. You can hit the key almost anywhere. It's playable after you get the hang of it - I really can play a passable version of "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" with it though sliding up and down the keys doesn't work too well. Yes the keyboard is polyphonic, 49 "keys". This unit does not have MIDI but I've heard of a rollup that does. This rollup also has line out and headphone out jacks.

I played one at Sharper image right before Xmas. There will definately be an adjustment period getting used to it. I had to press like hell to get sound out of the one I was playing but that was a floor model. I think the idea is cool and could see the benefits of it.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

My wife bought me one to take on business trips (sadly, not music-related) so I would be able to get in daily practice sessions in my hotel room, between band rehearsals. I was thrilled until I played the thing. For what it was, the sound was fine but the responsiveness was hit or miss. I wonder if the one I got was defective? Maybe I should try another one and see. However, while on a trip to Chicago last month, I started warming up on a decent Baldwin grand in the hotel lobby while waiting for my clients, and two nice old ladies walked up with a $10 bill in hand and asked "where's the tip jar?" :)

- Barry

The problem with it is the a big area on the edge of the keys that is non responsive so you have to hit dead center. Also sometimes it doesn't respond. It could be a polyphony limitation. Anyway, I didn't like it. I found in at Restoration Hardware.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Archived