Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

synths used? van halen

pete psingpy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For "Dreams" my guess would be an Oberheim OB-Xa for the analog string sound and real acoustic grand for that bright piano. However, I thought I saw a live clip of them playing this song and he used a Kurzweil 250 for the piano. Not sure about the other songs.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Moonglow:

For "Dreams" my guess would be an Oberheim OB-Xa for the analog string sound and real acoustic grand for that bright piano. However, I thought I saw a live clip of them playing this song and he used a Kurzweil 250 for the piano. Not sure about the other songs.

For some reason I vaguely remember a Kurzweil too...it must have been in a live video recording.

Originally posted by pete psingpy:

For some reason I vaguely remember a Kurzweil too...it must have been in a live video recording. [/QB]

Yup - on the 5150 tour he used the K250 and actually played the keyboard parts live. On the OU812 tour, he had a KX-88 on stage and played some of the parts live. On all later tours, I believe he either sequenced, or had a synth player off stage.

The funny thing about the K250 he used is that he had two of the keys removed (one low and one high), which basically gave him the standard 61 key layout to play with. My guess is that he was so drunk, he had trouble finding the right octave to play in, thus he needed some clear visual help. You can see this clearly in the Live Without a Net video.

Archived