Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opinions on Yamaha plug-ins for S90ES synth

MJ-S90ES

I've been playing my Yamaha S90ES synth in a praise/worship band. I like the "Natural Piano" sound, but I'm not thrilled with others. I'm thinking of buying the Analog Piano plug-in, and I'd like to hear some opinions from others who have tried it. Please let me know what you think if you've used this plug-in. Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll want to join the S90/S90ES forums over at www.sninety.com

Lots of info and opinions there, as well as a dedicated forum chapter for the PLG boards. You can do extensive searches there (and here, too) to find lots of previous discussions.

I've been using an S90 for several years and have played the S90ES quite a bit. You won't find any PLG boards with better piano sounds than what you have.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by MJ-S90ES:

I've been playing my Yamaha S90ES synth in a praise/worship band. I like the "Natural Piano" sound, but I'm not thrilled with others. I'm thinking of buying the Analog Piano plug-in, and I'd like to hear some opinions from others who have tried it. Please let me know what you think if you've used this plug-in. Thanks.

MJ-S90ES, you should get familiar with the slider controls on the left side. I've been playing with that and I'm really happy to know how I can change the sounds of the other S-pianos. My favorite at the moment is Intimate with the two upper EQ settings increased to +20 or so.

I also try adjusting the attack on the Natural S. My goal for my preferred sound is higher sustain. Determine what your goal is on the sound first of all. Is it the brightness that's bothering you? Sustain? Attack? Resonance? Reverb?

What I'm trying to tell you is that you have a lot more sounds at your disposal than you think and all are superior to any of the PLG's.

At the moment, I can't think of any keyboard or card you can use that will exceed what you can do right now. You have a full synth, man. It's not a digital piano. You can control everything.

Maybe it's time to read the manual.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Originally posted by eric:

You'll want to join the S90/S90ES forums over at www.sninety.com

Lots of info and opinions there, as well as a dedicated forum chapter for the PLG boards. You can do extensive searches there (and here, too) to find lots of previous discussions.

I've been using an S90 for several years and have played the S90ES quite a bit. You won't find any PLG boards with better piano sounds than what you have.

Regards,

Eric

I agree with Eric and the others in that you won't find anything better in the plugins than what you have. You may want to consider some editing and layering as it might help you to create some better sounds.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I must disagree. If you want good analog sounds, the PLG AN is a good addition (unless you buy a separate VA). I also highly recommend the DX PLG. Its sounds are superior compared to the stock sampled sounds on the ES. Also, the VL has many great mono sounds that are excellent as well. I have all three, and I hardly ever go to the stock samples for these types of sounds.

I agree that the AP is nothing to bother with. I had it, and sold it.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I think the poster was asking specifically about improving the piano sound on the S90 ES, but it was a bit confusing since the term "analog" was thrown in there.

If you're also into electric pianos like the Fender Rhodes, you CAN improve on the stock S90 ES sounds by getting the DX7 plug-board (PLG150-DX). It is more reactive to user expression as it is not sample-based. And you can always layer its electric piano patches with an internal S90 ES sample for the best of both worlds (realistic playability and authentic timbre).

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Archived