Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Promega 3 & Roland EV-5 expression pedal

ferran rc

Hello,

I've purchased a Roland EV-5 Expression Pedal, and I've connected to Pedal 1 input in my Promega 3, and it doesn't work.

In control menu, the promega finds the pedal, but when I choose volume, or expression, or wah control, it doesn't make anything.

I've also tried to connect it to pedal 2, but nothing.

And sometimes, when I move the pedal, the promega blockades, and I have to reset it with the rear button (the standby button does't make anything)

Anyone has the EV-5 connected to the promega? Isn't it incompatible?

Which expression pedal is compatible with the promega 3?

Thanks

Ferran

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ferran rc:

Which expression pedal is compatible with the promega 3?

I've been told the M-Audio EX-P works with the Promega 3, but it's never worked for me. Thanks for the reminder, I'll give it another shot...
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

I too bought an expression pedal (with switchable polarity). It hasn't arrived yet, but I hope it works. I will post the results by then. If it doesn't, I will ask Dave for a pin out and give the pedal some surgery ;)

My Pro1 recognizes pedals as soon as I they are triggered. I am able to unplug / plug pedals when it is powered on and the display will say sth. like "footswitch recognized" as soon as I press the pedal after inserting it...

Unfortunately the Promega doesn't give that kind of feedback :( But I guess, recognition works the same...

Originally posted by Prague:

Do you have to plug the pedal in before you turn on the Pros power?

Yes.

I think possibly my promega is a bit messed up in the pedal function dept. Sometimes the display is innacurate. For example, it might say pedal 1 and 2 are set to 0, even though soft and sos are enabled and working.

Occasionally I wish I had a volume pedal, and when I do, I kick myself for not including one in my initial order. I'm not sure GEM is manufacturing them anymore.

The EV-5 is a bit of a strange pedal. I use it with my Alesis Ion, and I'm not terribly happy with it. I tried a Yamaha pedal before buying the EV-5 and it wouldn't work at all. So I bought the EV-5.

I don't know how the Promega setup menu is, but I think you would have to identify the pedal first, (volume or expression) and have it plugged in upon turning the piano on. With my ION, each patch has the option of having the expressions pedal on or off for that patch, so when the pedal has no effect on the patch, I know I have to go to the menu for that patch, turn the pedal on, and then save it.

You have to setup the pedal according to the instructions in the box, or it won't work. You have to set to volume pot to the "1" position when the volume pedal is all the way up, or you won't get any output. If the volume pot is up too high when the pedal travel is all the way up, you won't get any sound. Try that.

The reason I don't like the pedal is, it's expensive for what it is, its too lite, so it's easy to kick over during a gig, and the travel on it's too short. Besides that, it's a great expression pedal. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Dave McMahan answered me in the GEM forum that the EV-5 is not compatible with the Promega 3.

He suggests the M-Audio EX-P pedal. This one has the appropriate internal electronics to function with the Promega 3, and is very similar in size and construction of the EV-5.

And also there is the GEM volume Pedal, that of course is compatible with the promega.

I've found a GEM distributor in Barcelona that has the GEM volume pedal at $23 (the EV-5 is about $60!), so I suppose I'll buy the GEM volume pedal.

Ferran

And also there is the GEM volume Pedal, that of course is compatible with the promega.

I've found a GEM distributor in Barcelona that has the GEM volume pedal at $23 (the EV-5 is about $60!), so I suppose I'll buy the GEM volume pedal.

The darn thing is, GEM used to offer a choice of 2 volume pedals: the lightweight,code 970.013 that you're looking at, and a professional volume pedal, code 970.107. Unit price was $89.95 (Canadian) on the Pro model.

Too late now. I tried to order one from the source 2 years ago, unsuccessfully.

Here's what I'd like:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/gangsu/SSM2_t.jpg

That's pro. :D From Classic Midi Works . Bolt that sucker right to the floor. Maybe a little inconvenient. ;)

Originally posted by andi.k:

Ferran, watch this:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/18/t/021340/p/1.html#000009

...maybe you already got all the parts to do some modification with your EV-5+Promega setup :D

Hi,

Do you think only with this pair of adaptors the EV-5 will work in my Promega?

Have I to solder any cable? I've read the thread, but my english is a little just, and my computer translator doesn't help me a lot :confused:

I'll try this before buying a new pedal.

Thanks

Originally posted by gangsu:

The darn thing is, GEM used to offer a choice of 2 volume pedals: the lightweight,code 970.013 that you're looking at, and a professional volume pedal, code 970.107. Unit price was $89.95 (Canadian) on the Pro model.

Too late now. I tried to order one from the source 2 years ago, unsuccessfully.

Here's what I'd like:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/gangsu/SSM2_t.jpg

That's pro. :D From Classic Midi Works . Bolt that sucker right to the floor. Maybe a little inconvenient. ;)

So the only GEM option is the "lightweight" volume pedal.

Anyone has tried this GEM pedal? Is it as solid as the EV-5 seems to be? And what about the touch?

Hi andi.k; which expression pedal did you buy?

If it works, it will be another possibility.

I'll thank your opinions

Ferran

Hi andi.k; which expression pedal did you buy?

If it works, it will be another possibility.

...it's named "Bespeco Volume Pedal VM18L" - some OEM brand I guess - and it is made in Italy, thus: it works with my Promega :D

It has a handy polarity switch. The case is made of plastic with a metal ground plate but is fine for me. Also, I measured the resistance range of the pedal: 0...18kOhm with constant 18kOhm between sleeve and tip of the TRS connector, so the ring must be connected to the center pin of the pot.

Thanks for the information,

I think I'll go for the M-Audio EX-P. It has a volume button and polarity switch. Dave told me he has one and is compatible with the Promega. And I can buy it here in Barcelona, so it's easier.

Let's see how does it work.

Archived