Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC1X Classic Keys Expansion

David Loving

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes - the PC2 classic keys expansion board does work with the PC1X (as I have in mine), but you need the proper OS version in the PC1X (cant remember off hand) - check the Kurzweil site for the OS download, I also worked with Sweetwater where I bought my expansion board and they were helpful as well - great sounds !!

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Originally posted by Cydonia:

Since we seem to be entering a new Kurzweil contradiction... Compatible, not compatible, I give him the last word. :thu:

Cydonia, I'm willing to bet your money that the boards are the same, but the software updates are different. How much you got? ;)
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks, all. I had never seen the PCX-1 for sale anywhere, just the PCR-1, so I have assumed the PCX-1 probably works in both. All Sweetwater has is the PCR-1. My board is so old it will need a software upgrade anyway, so I'll let the tech at Audio Electronics Co. handle it. I'll get it from Sweetwater.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Here's the deal, folks. Easy stuff, just convoluted descriptions...

The PCR-1 Orchestral ROM is standard in the entire PC series.

The PCX-1 is the polyphony expansion for the PC2 series only! The PC1 series will not accommodate it.

The PCR-2 Classic Keys ROM is the expansion for the PC2 series.

The PCX-2 Classic Keys ROM is the expansion for the PC1 series.

The PCR-2 and PCX-2 are exactly the same ROM, just made up in different kits. No, it makes no sense to do it that way, I'd like to see it changed and have the software for both boards put onto the CDROM that ships with the ROM blocks, but I'm not the boss (yet).

So, I hope the mud has been cleared somewhat...?

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Mr. Lewis,

Please clear the murk by telling me what I can safely use in my PC1X. I thought the PCR-2 was ok for the PC1X based on what was posted before your post but now I am not sure because of what you said about software.

If I can't find a PCX-2 anywhere [which I can't], is it OK to get the PCR-2 and use it in my PC1X? If I can't do that, where do I get a PCX-2? Direct from Kurzweil or what? I can't find one anywhere, but Sweetwater has an PCR-2. Can the software be accessed on line instead of using a cd?

Thanks

Originally posted by daviel:

Mr. Lewis,

Please clear the murk by telling me what I can safely use in my PC1X.

He is saying that it's the same ROM card used in either machine.

The part number difference is due to the ROM being included in two different "kits". The kits for the PC-1 and PC-2 are identical except for the software. If you get the PC-2 ROM kit, you will get the wrong software for the PC-1. The ROM card is correct, though. The software is available on the Kurz website, however.

It would be absurd and costly for a manufacturer to make a hardware variation of a ROM card (although dumber things have been done before :D ).

I've seen this happen in other manufacturers, where the same part has a different part number when used in a different end-item.

"I've seen this happen in other manufacturers, where the same part has a different part number when used in a different end-item. " --

That's what Kurz did: same part, two part numbers

Thanks for clearing it up -

Originally posted by daviel:

"I've seen this happen in other manufacturers, where the same part has a different part number when used in a different end-item. " --

That's what Kurz did: same part, two part numbers

Thanks for clearing it up -

You got it. Sorry for the confusion.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Archived