Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got IRQ's?

I recently upgraded to Windows XP and I just looked at my IRQ's in System information and IRQ 2,5, and 7 are not even being used and yet there are other things sharing IRQ's. Is this normal? How do you change the settings? Should I find a computer forum to post all these annoying questions?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best wy I've found to reassign IRQ's is a bit of a PITA. You need to have [b]all[/b] you hardware drivers available, either on CD or in your PC, and know where they are, and it requires several reboots, but it lets the BIOS keep control. [b]NOTE: the following section is going to be screwing with Windows Registry, so proceed at your own risk.[/b] Click on Start> Run, and type "regedit." A Windows Explorer window will come up. On the left side, click on the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. A bunch of folders will appear under it. Find the one named "ENUM," right click on it, and delete it. Now reboot your machine. It will start to find every piece of hardware in the PC again, all the way from the PC speaker through the last thing you added. With certain things it finds, it will either be unable to find drivers for them, or ask for driver disks. Insert them into your CD and point to where the drivers are. It will also tell you that Windows has to reboot every so often. It will also reassign the IRQ as it comes across new hardware, and looks for the next available IRQ to use. The whole process takes about 30 minutes, but it is worth doing to rearrange the IRQ's more logically. ..Joe
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I have put together a couple of workstations with a WinXP OS. I have had the best success letting winXP assign the IRQ's. I messed around with the first machine for two days, then I finally just let XP sort it out. I just changed the pci slot on a couple of devices to give them their own IRQ. Both machines are running rock solid. IMO, just let XP do it and you will be fine.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived