Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Manufacturers Refurbished instruments

BluMunk

Musicians Friend is selling refurbed S90es's.

What exactly does that mean? Is there any functional difference between a 'brand new' instrument and a refurbed one? Is the $600 in price difference just the amount you pay to get to know that you were the first person to pull the board out of a box?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BluMunk,

Refurb can mean just about anything.

I consider 'refurb' as a catch-all term when a retailer wants to sell a unit that is not factory-fresh-in-a-never-been-opened-box.

You're taking your chances. These could be minimized by thorough inspection.

The unit could have simply been a floor demo. It could have some scratches on it. Or it could have been a rental that had a broken key or display or circuit board that was repaired.

You never know. You could get a great deal, or you could wind up with a lemon.

The only way to go into a deal like this is with an initial inspection of the unit, and a written 30-day, no questions asked return agreement. If you can't return the unit within 30 days, you may seriously want to consider another unit.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Do you still get the full warranty coverage? That's important.

Sometimes, refurbed stuff can be better than new in the sense that it has been gone over by hand and thus assured it's in perfect working order. It just depends.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Musicians Friend is selling refurbed S90es's.

What exactly does that mean? Is there any functional difference between a 'brand new' instrument and a refurbed one? Is the $600 in price difference just the amount you pay to get to know that you were the first person to pull the board out of a box?

Blu,

Generally, a refurbished unit has a history like this: Customer A buys Product X. Product X is delivered, yet something is strangely wrong...like the outputs are 'crackly' (that's a technical term), or Universal Pummeling Service dropped it from a 7' semi dock into six inches of standing water at a Columbus fulfillment house...OR it was put together incorrectly at the factory by a geographically displaced evil scientist with delusions of taking over Albuquerque by force...any one of these things. The fact remains, Product X is defective.

So, Customer A calls the store where he bought it, who calls their rep at Product X's company headquarters, who promptly issue a return authorization for bad product and immediately ships out an exact clone of Product X to Customer A, down to the very last electro-mechanical detail. Customer A is happy. Product X is picked up from Customer A's AO (Area of Operations), never to return...or so we think...

Meanwhile, at the Product X factory, the geographically displaced evil scientist has vacated his post, and is on his way to Albuquerque with an OTR trucker named Steve.

To be continued by another 'in the know' forumite. Maybe Darren Landrum - 'Forumite of the Year', Mr. 'TC' Martin, or the great dB would like to finish this epic tale???

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

For what its worth I have purchased four refurbished units. One from Yamaha, two from Korg and one from Casio. All worked fine except the one from Casio. Casio has a tremendous amount of refurbished units. We have a Casio store here and there are a plethora of refurbished Casio WK's there. While I can't be certain of why they were refurbished I was told the following about what I purchased. The Yamaha was returned one day after it was purchased. It was returned without the CD that came with it. Both Korgs had minor cosmetic damage in the forms of scratches. One was a return and one had the damage occur during shipping. The Casio was reset by the factory. The guy at the Casio store told me they get the WK's all the time from Casio refurbished and they get returned alot due to various issues. According to him my reason, a system freeze, was pretty common. Getting a full warranty as mentioned previously is crucial.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

The biggest problem I have with "Factory Refurbs" or "Open Box" units is that often times, you don't save a whole lot of money on it compared to a new unit. I get a chuckle out of some of the major Internet sites that offer a "discount" on one of these refurbs, and I can get a lower price on a new one from one of the other Internet dealers that aren't quite as big. No thanks. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I second MikeT156's comments. I never see screaming deals online for refurbs that I couldn't get on a new one by talking to my 'GC guy' (which most people have).

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I agree with others about what a "refurb" might be. I think many of them are "infant mortality" cases - electronic gear has a tendency to either fail after a few hours of operation or run forever. The infant mortality is caused by things like a weak component that fails after a longer burn-in period, or simply a cold solder joint, etc. Relatively simple things can render the entire unit unoperable, so they are returned. After the single component or solder joint is fixed, the unit is basically good as new (although legally they can't be sold as such), and more often than not joins the "lasts forever" camp. I have no qualms about buying refurbs, and have done so many times without regret.

I guess the only concern is that, as others have pointed out, you never know why your unit is a 'refurb." Also, the availability of lots of refurbs might suggest a weakness in the design. I would be less worried about the latter with a reputable company (like Yamaha in original post).

- Bob

Originally posted by ivorycj:

[QB] Meanwhile, at the Product X factory, the geographically displaced evil scientist has vacated his post, and is on his way to Albuquerque with an OTR trucker named Steve.

makes me wonder is chris heaps still around at kurz sevice???
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Factory Refurbished: It was repaired or restored in some way (by a factory authorized facility).

Factory Resealed: It was returned and re-boxed by factory authorized facility.

Open Box: May have been a demo or a return.

B-Stock - could be a return, demo, maybe it never left the store but was scratched in the stockroom.

C-Stock - major scratch/blemish or significant wear from use.

This is posted on Musician's Friend's web site:

Manufacturer Refurbished Item

These are products that have been completely refurbished and tested by their manufacturers to meet original factory specifications. You'll realize HUGE savings when you purchase refurbished gear. All manufacturer's refurbished products include manufacturer's warranties. Take a full 45 days to check out the gear before deciding to keep it.

===============================

Price new: $1,680

Refurb price: $1,500

Savings: $180

One year warranty on parts & labor.

CLONK HERE

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

What!?! No takers? I thought that there were more comedians around here than that...

Well Blu, I think you've gotten your answer either way.

demented, nope, no Chris Anything around at Kurzweil Service these days...

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Archived