Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question For 700SX Owners

lowerhodes

Greetings. The answer to my query is probably, "Thats just how it is. Live with it." But I'll ask anyway. When playing the organ voice I assigned FC1 to "volume / 007" and connected a Roland EV-5 volume pedal, the same one which functions splendidly with my NE2. In this application I find that when the pedal is all the way back (quiet)I have to press it about half way before any sound appears and then, of course, there is'nt enough left to control volume swells with any accuracy. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I try a different pedal? Is there a setting change that might help?
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same issue with the Roland EV-5 pedal and my RD700SX. That and the fact that a patch change resets the volume to the numeric value associated with the patch - so that in order to use the pedal to control the volume you have to first pretty much stomp it to the floor to "take control" over the volume - then back it all the way off and swell it back up to the desired volume. Considering that the pedal's sensitivity range (i.e., the portion of the pedal's range of motion that actually does anything noticeable) is so small - I find it a constant struggle to control the volume swell.

Just recently, I happened to connect my RD700SX from my Yamaha P200 using the P200 as a MIDI controller (which was set to pass the volume data via the P200's volume pedal and was encouraged to find that when controlled through the P200, the sensitivity was much smooth throughout the range of the pedal (a Yamaha FC-7 foot controller).

I decided to risk the $15 for the FC7 Foot Pedal Adaptor from Ashby Solutions ( http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html ) in the hopes that this will provide a much smoother control. I'll let you know how that works once it gets here.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I would not use volume MIDI cc#7. I use expression MIDI cc#11. Volume controls the overall volume of the instrument while epxression is used to control volume within the parameters set by the patch.

The EV5 has a POT on the side that let's you control the range of the pedal. With a real B3, the volume pedal never cuts the sound completely off, in fact the bass is even less so.

I don't have an EV5. I have used EV7 with the RD700SX and think it's great (but expensive).

See if you get better results with #11.

Busch.

Archived