Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bit OT: Frank Zappa Composing on YouTube

Leberwurst

I just found a great documentary about Frank Zappa and his way of composing, his aims, his view on music and also his work with the Synklavier... Just wanted to share it.

I also enjoyed his explanations about sampling and the "perfect sound", something that is discussed currently in the Motif ES thread.

It's splitted up in six parts, this is the first...I'm quite sure you'll be able to find the rest on your own ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oAjzztZbQw&mode=related&search=

The first part is a bit strangely put together, but from the second part on it is definitely worth watching

The Dromb Bopper

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

***Thanks Leber_Wurst for remembering Frank!***

FRANK'S IDEAS, SPIRIT AND MUSIC SHOULD BE KEPT ALIVE FOREVER. . . .

HIS DAD WORKED IN WEAPONS DEVELOPMENT FOR THE GOVERNMENT......

FRANK WAS CONSERVATIVE ON CERTIAN LEVELS IT HAS BEEN SAID, ESPICALLY IN TERMS OF DRUG USE IN HIS BAND....

IT'S OBVIOUS TO ME HE WAS A LIBERTARINE . . .

Frank on Crossfire. . .

lb :D

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

In Franks Autobiography he describes what was behind the PMRC censorships thrust by Tipper Gore and others as actually being caused by heavy lobbying pressure, run through our government, being applied to the Recording industry as "Punishment" for their cooperating with Tape machine manufactures to prevent copying of artist tapes with record lockout tech. and forcing the hand of the tape mfgs. for the lockout standard on the media. This as we know was later used in CD technology to protect artist/record company copyrights.

Apparently tape manufactures like BASF and others(don't quote on who the tape mfg's were exactly) were against this because they wanted to sell more blank tapes for people to copy their albums and the market that was there to make windfall profits, but the artists were loosing $ and the record industry was suffering. Obviously Zappa illustrates how Tipper Gore and the rest of the PMRC crew concocted the 'Witch Hunt" against 'Dirty' lyrics but it was actually a ruse for applying pressure to the record industry for the tape people, somebody like "Abermoff" going to bat for the Tape companies and paying off big (BIG) people in government. The "conservatives" and the religious right jumped in on it and it was all about $$ actually and pay-offs. Frank knew that and fought it head on but of course never mentioned that in the PMRC hearings. Alot of people to this day are unaware of this. It's in his Autobiography.

Franks autobiography

Frank at the PMRC hearings. . .

lb :D

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

You should also check out the other videos of this user. he seems to be possessing tons of very rare material on zappa. I have some problems (some problems is nicely described) to hear me "into" his late music (performed by the modern arts ensemble), but the TV discussions with FZ on record labeling are interesting to watch, and also damn funny because Zappa does never hesitate to express what he means
The Dromb Bopper

Archived