Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Now I understand

Byrdman

why some of you rave about the electro.

Got a chance to try an Electro 76 in GC today. What a wonderful sounding board. Lovely piano, lovely Rhoades(s) and Whurly. Very acceptable Hammond (would dial back the key click but maybe there's a way to do that)

On the other hand, I tried an XK3 as well and have to say I was disappointed. The way they had it amped was poor and I don't know how much that impacted it - probably a lot - but both the C3 vibrato and the Leslie were unconvincing and the whole instrument sounded thin.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Electro is a great board. I played a 61 on a bunch of gigs this year and I loved the Hammond sound, but not the interface. The piano and EP sounds didn't do it for me.

Nice as the Electro is, I think the XK3 eats its lunch. I've got no gripes with the C/V or the Leslie sim.

Just my 2 cents (2^(1/1200)^2).

--wmp

The Electro is indeed an amazing board. I've said it several times over the past 4+ years...it is simply my favorite digital instrument.

I do like the Hammond XK series. They are more authentic for an "old school" organ vibe. But the Electro provides an overall funky experience with its spot-on Clavinet, Rhodes, Wurly and Hammond sounds. Though I was brought up as more of an old school drawbar snob, I have a real hard time giving up my Electro now that I've become a fanboy. :thu:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/electro_trooper.JPG

Regards,

Eric

The XK-3 also has a lot of key click out of the box. You need to spend a little time with the manual. It's written in a curiously inscrutable dialect of English. JMcS's XK-3 thread is a useful companion. I've had mine for 2 weeks and I'm really loving it. Haven't gigged with it yet. The case arrives next week.

My only grip is the stock tubes. It beats any digital dirt I've heard, but it's a little harsh and the transition from clean to dirty is a too abrupt. JMcS's XK-3 thread discusses this in detail. I'm pretty confident I'll get the smooth delicious dirt with the right tubes.

I only played the Electro on gigs. I never got to spend time with it and never saw the manual. I was real tempted to copy Eric's rig with the MIDI drawbars, but everything about th XK-3 grabbed me. Everthing is right where an old Hammond dog would expect it to be.

Still, I envy you Electro folks. Twenty five pounds in a gig bag has a lot of advantages over eighty five pounds in a flight case.

--wmp

Originally posted by wmp:

Still, I envy you Electro folks. Twenty five pounds in a gig bag has a lot of advantages over eighty five pounds in a flight case.

My Electro is under 20 lbs in the gig bag (used for rehearsal only) and ~35 lbs in the full-blown flight case. It rocks.

I Love my Electro,it's sounds great and it's not heavy. But it sounds heavy .The effects are easy change,I would like real draw bars.

I used to tote my P200 and a rack to rehearsals because its all I had to start with. I'm also going to take your advice Eric and get two Motion Sound KT-80s and just take one for rehearsal.

Archived