Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got a musician or a group you initially hated and now like?

stepay

Well, uhm... Here's my little piece of former blasphemy ;)

I didn't like Steely Dan when my piano teacher introduced me to their material. I thought Fagen was a mediocre singer with an annoying voice.

Fagen's voice remains special, and some may still have the opinion that his singing is mediocre. I'm not one of them anymore. Singing all those backing vocals on Maxine: that's great!

I like it. A lot!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to hate disco, and I still do for the most part except for some K.C. and the Sunshine Band. I think it might have to do with that scene at the end of "Sid & Nancy" where Sid is munching on pizza in the afterlife and grooving to "Get Down Tonight" on some kid's boom box. That was just so cool.

Bob Dylan - couldn't get past the voice. Finally it clicked somewhere and I enjoyed it for what it is - lyrical and poetic genius delivered by an unorthodox voice.

Tom Waits - ditto.

Frank Zappa - I didn't hate him, per se, but I always preferred stuff like "Peaches en Regalia" to "Joe's Garage" (in his own words, shut up and play yer guitar). Then I heard "Inca Roads" where a balance is struck, and grew to love some of the wit and humour in his music.

A lot of avant-garde and free jazz takes time to grow on me. I never liked much John Zorn, but now I can get into Masada, at least. It took me a while to come around on Ornette Coleman, too. Jury's still out on Evan Parker and Peter Brotzmann...

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Prince. Used to think he was the music antichrist [a case in point which shows how avoiding instead of addressing issues - and youth - tend to foster ignorance]. Then I inadvertently heard the intro guitar riff from 'Hide the Bone', off 'Crystal Ball' and I was hooked; that shit is funky as all hell! Now there's no talent I admire more.

Love ABBA by the way. So? So? :P

Originally posted by cliffk:

Prince. Used to think he was the music antichrist [a case in point which shows how avoiding instead of addressing issues - and youth - tend to foster ignorance]. Then I inadvertently heard the intro guitar riff from 'Hide the Bone', off 'Crystal Ball' and I was hooked; that shit is funky as all hell! Now there's no talent I admire more.

Oh yeah, Prince is another one for me too. I hated him with a passion early on, but man when you look at his musicianship and get past all the other stuff, he'd damn good. Not too many can play that guitar better than he can. I wish he'd do it more.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Faces (and the Rod-Stewart-era Small Faces). They were SOOOOO sloppy!

Which is exactly why I like them now.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Coming into three bands late (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Lynrd Skynard) I had no patience for them outside of any current hits (This was the late eighties/early nineties... the bands really didn't have much going on)

But when I really started digging into their old stuff and really paying attention to them outside of the "80 pounds heavier playing $200 a seat reunion shows" I realized man they each had chemistry and some amazing back catalog.

Listening to Iron Maiden's Killers for the first time just blew my mind. I mean everything is just there and in the right place and raw. Same with listening to some REAL Black Sabbath after listening to countless cover versions over the year.

funny thing is I had the EXACT opposite with Savatage. Used to love them now think it's bombastic without heart. This coming from someone who loves the whole Meatloaf-shtick. strange uh?

The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson

Burt Bacharach

As I grew to understand more about composition and arranging, I grew to appreciate both Wilson and Bacharach far more than I did when I was a kid and heard their music on AM radio in the very late 60s and early 70s. There is so much going on in the course of their 3-4 min. pop songs: meter changes, modulations, unique harmonic vocabularies, etc.

Lyle Lovett's voice and band always sounded alittle anemic to me and through the years has grown on me, that's the best I could muster right now with my New Years burnout!

more seriously though. . . .

It took me a long time to really fully understand Jazz (Bebop and other modern forms). This was not helped by my generation's total pre-occupation with Rock and Roll and Blues which I also still enjoy but to a lesser degree now as I have gotten older and wiser.

Though always interested in jazz as a kid and Louis Armstrong, Errol Garner, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles and other artists I heard in the late 50's as a wee lad, I can now fully enjoy and appreciate jazz after years really studying the music. Classical music to a degree also I would say as classical made up a portion of my jazz study. It has all enriched and broadened my life! Not to be too much of a brown-noser but I think Jazz and thrill of playing Bach well is a great thing for anybody to get into as Jazz is the mother of all modern musics and alot of Bach stuff I understand came out of his spontanious improvisations.

Other than that I would have to say in general I will listen to a broader pallette of music now than I used to in my 20's & 30's from Soulive to Howowitz playing Beethovan to Horace Silver. . . .I listen to all music much more intensely and enjoyably than I used to even Lyle!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

The Greatful Dead

Prince

Stevie Wonder*

Herbie Hancock*

* here's why: I grew up in the 80s and all I knew of either of these guys was the 80s cheese stuff that they did. It wasn't until I got a little more musicallt edumucated that I found out how incredible they both are.

Peter

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

OK guys, let's stop it for now. Enough is enough.

As it is, we have been having way too many guys confessing to actually liking Abba. If we let it go unchecked, I'm afraid of the kind of confessions we might have to face... :eek::D

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by marino: It took me several years to warm my ears to the music of Bela Bartok./
Almost the same sentiment here.

I would add Kronos Quartet. One that perfectly fits in this topic's preference of my earlier depot of dislike. Atonality is heavy burden for young learning and playing hands.

Once you become fit to course into deeper layers of understanding its depts, a whole new world opens up to you.

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

As it is, we have been having way too many guys confessing to actually liking Abba. If we let it go unchecked, I'm afraid of the kind of confessions we might have to face... :eek::D

- I subscribed to the Official ABBA Club around 1977. :D

Cydonia, your latest avatar is the greatest. I know others have told you that already, but it is. I'm a technical writer, and "RTFM" is a mantra for us. Nice one!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I used to not like Bill Evans and Miles Davis before he went electric. Love them now.

At one time as a kid I couldn't understand why people though Chet Atkins and Wes Montgomery were exceptional guitarists and musicians. What a dummy I was!

And while I like some classical soloists, I couldn't hear the high level of musicianship.. tone, phrasing, intonation, interpretation of melodies.. unless of course, they were playing super-fast passages.

Salsa

Brecker Brothers

I used to think Salsa was some horrible form of aural torture, especially useful to extract information from suspects with bad hangovers. Then I PLAYED IT for 3 years as a member of my university jazz band, and voila! Osmosis or whatever, now I can't get enough of it!

I HATED the music of the Brecker Brothers all through the 70s, thought it was the garish, strident WORST of early fusion music. Then I heard their two 90s albums and they sounded like a different band--their music had reached the point of maturity. Absolutely brilliant! Now I can go back and appreciate their early stuff better.

Alcuin

Originally posted by cliffk:

Another vote for Prince. I dind't hate him, but I felt a lot of distance for his style and didn't put any attention to his music. I lived my school years in the 90's and me and my friends just hated the 80's sound, specially some of the synth sounds, which Prince had here and there. Well of course his clothes didn't helped to much. But then I listened to "Musicology" and got absolutely hooked. He's a tremendous musician, not only a great guitar player.

Can't say the same for ABBA though ;)

Archived