Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi interface suggestions ...?

Tusker

I'd like to merge the breath controller and Kaoss controller and route them to one or more synths ...

Wanted to get something I could run with or without a laptop. Preferably small in form and function, not rack mounted. The alternative is a midi solutions processor (or a couple), to do midi merge and expansion. But then I can't switch destinations/filter signals between tunes. Ideally I would find a 4 by 4 switchable interface with presets. Ideally. Is there a master keyboard that would solve this kind of problem (multiple midi merge)?

I notice a lot of interfaces run on USB power. Does that require a laptop? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance,

Jerry

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are some really good standalone MIDI patch bays that came out way before USB (from 80s, early 90s) that will do exactly what you want. Most are rack-mountable unfortunately, but you don't have to put it in a rack. I have two Digital Music Corp. MX-8 patchbays (6 in, 8 out). Got them dirt cheap on eBay and they have solved all of my MIDI merging/routing needs. I also have an Opcode Studio 128x but that one needs to be programmed from a computer; once programmed, you can run it standalone.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Thanks Synthizen!

That's a great idea. I happen to have the opcode 128. It's sitting in the basement somewhere. I was hoping for something with a smaller form factor, but hey I might just dig it out and see what I can do with it. IIRC the software was written for Windows 98 or something. (Should work I guess)

I am also looking at a micro express from MOTU which is smaller. There are USB power adaptors on the open market, and if MOTU tells me I can power it that way, it may be a nice solution.

Jerry

Archived