Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Chopping Chords"

sydgwapu

Hi there! I would like to ask for help with this. I need tips and the theory behind how to do this. How to play chopped chords. I play purely chords on the heyboard coz I'm not that good in reading music sheets. And, besides, I prefer to play by ear and I would like to play jazz music on the keyboard...

A friend of mine taught me the basic theories of chord triads... I can now identify them. Their inversions and their families... I can memorize their scales (only major scales at the moment...)

Thank you for your time!Ü

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Byrdman:

What are chopped chords?

Do you mean things like A/Bb?

That's usually called a slash chord. Its an A chord over top of Bb in the bass.

The only meaning I can ascribe to chopped chord is staccato or mezzo-staccato chords.

I'm , thinking arpeggios or arpeggiated chords was his intent, judging by the other related topics that were posted

Arpeggio clonk here

Originally posted by Byrdman:

What are chopped chords?

Do you mean things like A/Bb?

That's usually called a slash chord. Its an A chord over top of Bb in the bass.

The only meaning I can ascribe to chopped chord is staccato or mezzo-staccato chords.

arpeggio... that's what i meant...Ü

I am sorry - its just a bad pun. It doesn't actually mean anything. The original marketing slogan was "promise her anything but give her arpege" pronounced arpage.

So now I guess I should say something useful.

Aerpeggios are just playing the notes of a chord consecutively rather than all at once. There is normally a rythmic reason for doing this - ie that't the key to playing the notes is to create the rythm you want.

They also help sustain a chord on an instrument (like a Harpsichord) with no sustain.

As well as playing individual notes, playing two notes at a time works well. Use two and five for one pair and then 1 and 4 or 1 and 3 for the next - this requires practice to get down.

syd,

As noted above, arpeggios are simply chords broken up into single notes. "Color My World" by Chicago is problably the all time king of the simple, straight forward, up and down marching arpeggios.

Here's the thing, though. When progressing from simply playing chord triads to note combinations, (arpeggios, scales, turns, trills, etc.), the amoung of dexterity required goes up. If you don't have a background in playing scales and individual notes, it WILL take time for the fingers to adapt - it'll take work for it to sound right, so don't get frustrated if things don't fall into place immediately.

sydgwapu,

Hmm. Does this mean you didn't read that huge post of mine I posted for you for beginning players!? :)

I mentioned arpeggios in there and what they are and how to play them.

I've never heard them called "chopped chords" though.

But, I have heard "Chopping Broccoli" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TnaBu9s5Ec

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by stepay:

sydgwapu,

Hmm. Does this mean you didn't read that huge post of mine I posted for you for beginning players!? :)

I mentioned arpeggios in there and what they are and how to play them.

I've never heard them called "chopped chords" though.

But, I have heard "Chopping Broccoli" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TnaBu9s5Ec

thank you for that information for beginners... i really appreciated you for posting that.

but then, the explanations there are very general... I'm asking anyone to elaborate it further and be more specific...

thanks

Originally posted by stepay:

sydgwapu,

Stepay, I think you should be the official beginner receptionist.

Maybe we could work out the name of the job better.

Executive Newcomer Inducer maybe?

(really, that's a very good introduction you've made)

Archived