Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how to update Motif's acoustic piano?

Nordude

Hi everybody,

I own a Motif Classic and I'm considering to update it, to improve it's acoustic piano sound (without the use of a seperate synth or sound module).

What would be the "best" way to do that:

- PLG-150-AP? I read about some minor (compression related) flaws on the Motifator forums.

- buy a sample CD? If so, which one?

- .....?

Any thoughts, suggestions and thoughts on their advantages/disadvantages would be appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I'd sell the classic and buy an ES. I don't think the PLG-150-AP is worth it. You can't change the sample inside the board. Beyond this you have to go softsynth and leave the board as a controller.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Thanks for the quick responses thus far. Don't want to go soft synth: it's for gigging etc (and I don't want to go the laptop route - why, that's worth another thread).

My budget is a couple of 100 bucks (Euro's, to be precise). So upgrading from Classic to ES is out of reach, though the effect of upcoming NAMM on the prices of ES's might change that perspective.

So my question is (remains): how to improve the acoustic piano sound, while sticking to my Motif Classic?

More opinions are welcome.

no, not according to the way I read his web site

nor, have you cruised motifator ? They usually have all answers for the motif

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I think the Motif classic piano is pretty decent. But if you go some in between method, I'm not sure what the marginal improvement will be. The differences against an S90ES is pretty huge IMHO.

But given your budget situation, if you're really craving a newer sound, then go ahead with the plug in card. You might even find some used ones around for cheaper since some may have dumped theirs after upgrading to an S90ES.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Originally posted by GregC:

nor, have you cruised motifator ? They usually have all answers for the motif

Greg, I have searched for the PLG-card. But perhaps there are threads over there about suitable sample libraries - hadn't thought about searching for those... Thanks.

More opinions still welcome, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd suggest another route: DIY. The base waveforms in workstations are much better than many give them credit for. I took a fairly good piano Combi in a Korg and massaged it into a real powerhouse by stacking 8' and 16' pianos a bit, adding in a string section at a low level for a bit of "fake" body resonance and then EQing/reverbing it just so. The piano you want could easily be lurking under the hood. Try tweedling that before you leap off into more complex waters. A Motif is no slouch! I'll bet that piano is just in there sleeping, 18 parameter adjustments away from being very memorable.
I COMPLAINED BECAUSE I HAD NO FAIRLIGHT, UNTIL I MET A MAN WHO HAD NO THEREMIN.

Check out the sninety.com Beyond the Manual section for a document written by Phil Clenendin on customizing the S90's piano sound. You may get some ideas on tweaking the sound there.

I've heard that the PLG AP board is not much better than the built-in ROM, just different. However, this might be a good time to pick one up. Again, search motifactor and sninety.com for people selling their ES gear in anticipation of the new XS due in April.

There is a piano sample available on motifactor for the Motif.

Personally, I think your best bet is a softsynth. I often gig with my laptop as sideman. It's simply a matter of a USB cable and loading Sonar with the proper file. Seems to me that using a softsynth piano sound would be even simpler--once you have configured you Master setup to call your favorite acoustic sample, you can forget about the computer for the rest of the night.

regards,

--kwgm

Noone has mentioned the PLG150-PF card yet, which really isn't a bad option in this case. It's piano sounds pretty good IMHO, has 64-note polyphony, and can be found relatively cheap these days since it's an older card. It'll hold you until you can upgrade the Motif at least - you might even like it.

You could tryout the sampled piano at http://www.mobros.org

it's not as good as the plg 150 AP but it's free!

I've got the PLG150 AP in my motif classic, it reminds me a lot of the three layer kurzweilpiano. The PLG150AP is a very soft piano and fits best for classical and jazz directly out of the box. Anyhow the release time is set too short and you can tweak it quite a lot using eq settings. I prefer my Nord electro piano it fit's nicer into the mix when playing in a band.

An alternative is to buy a used digita piano like the P90.

/Fred

Archived