Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage � Mono Piano Update?

Moonglow

Has anyone heard anything regarding the status as to when Clavia will be releasing a mono piano update for the Nord Stage? This seemed imminent a couple of months ago, but I havent heard anything for a while. Thanks!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mate_stubb:......I'd guess they are pegged at the moment preparing their mystery keyboard for NAMM.
I thought this might be the case. I'm going to start jamming them via e-mail after NAMM.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I gave up on the Nord Stage....again. I really wanted it to work out, but even in stereo, those pianos just didn't have any girth; they couldn't stand up live.

I'm really going to miss those electric pianos though; there's no comparison to the EPS in the Electro.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Originally posted by tonysounds:

I gave up on the Nord Stage....again. I really wanted it to work out, but even in stereo, those pianos just didn't have any girth; they couldn't stand up live.

I'm really going to miss those electric pianos though; there's no comparison to the EPS in the Electro.

T

I'm about ready to give up on the piano section, but I agree that the EPs are fabulous, as is the organ section, and the synth section continues to increasingly impress me.

I still have faith that Clavia will remedy the piano. My confidence is based on their extended history of improving previous products via upgrades. I am going to hold out for the mono piano, and I suppose that I would prefer that they take their time and get it right than release an equally inferior upgrade. But even if it is less than satisfactory, I'm hoping that the DRAKE-based piano module by GEM will be released soon, representing a small 1/2-rack addition to my rig (Nord Stage, Korg Trinity).

The frustrating thing about the Nord Stage is that this instrument is SO CLOSE to being the total package in terms of the "big three" meat & potatoes sounds (grand piano, organ, Rhodes). I just have a hard time understanding how a company that has done such a stellar job with the organ and Rhodes can not produce an equally admirable piano.

- George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Moonglow:

I just have a hard time understanding how a company that has done such a stellar job with the organ and Rhodes can not produce an equally admirable piano.

I think it's because it's hard. Really effing hard.

Everybody has a different ideal in mind, often based on sitting at a really fine piano by yourself. Then you find that your ideal doesn't work in a performing situation with a loud band, that jazz piano solo has different needs than jazz combos and rock combos, and that any microscopic bit of buzz or hiss or bad loop will be discovered and sprayed all over the internet and moaned about. And then there's the action and its connection to the sound....

I think that the first company to convincingly model a piano that can adjust to cover these situations will make a killing. A killing!

Moe

---

Archived