Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christmas Time is Here - Who Cares?

ITGITC

Christmas sucks. :mad:

C'mon, tell the truth - a part of you feels the very same way.

First of all, there are the guys who advertise. They're all over the place. Where did they all come from all of a sudden? I can't make a move without being surrounded and bombarded with somebody trying to SELL me and UPSELL me. Don't they know that I don't CARE if the 4th quarter is when they make all their money? Leave me alone! And get rid of the Santa hats. Just because you put a freakin' Santa hat on your head doesn't make you all cute and stuff - unless you're this girl:

http://195.20.15.208/0/18/26/93/best-of/31.jpg

And look - she doesn't even NEED a hat. :P I'm sold.

Second, (staying on topic) what's with all this old crappy music that we've heard over and over again. Doesn't anybody realize that it's worn out? No. They're still going to push it down our throats every year at this time twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Why do they think I want to hear this stuff again when I heard it last year?.. and the year before... And the year before that? Hey radio guys, get a clue - come up with something original and refreshing. And try to do it with some taste this time - no more Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, OK? Of course, if there was no tasty ROAD KILL, there would be no tasty BARBECUE, now would there? :freak:

http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2004/12/14/music-slick_t180.jpg

And don't send me one of those idiotic Elf Dance Electronic Greetings. I hate those things. HERE\'S ONE that looks familiar...

Ahem.

Then there are the TV shows and movies. Since when did The Wizard of Oz become a movie to be played at the Christmas season? I don't know, but it seems that every time I've turned on the TV for the past two weeks, it's been on. WTF? Now they're even making Dorothy Christmas ornaments.

http://z.about.com/d/collectibles/1/0/9/T/scherry3.jpg

And the traffic - I'm sorry. I don't have the patience. If I can't buy it online, I don't buy it.

Finally if you don't get a Christmas card from me this year, don't think I don't love ya - I just think they're stupid. You send me a Christmas card, so I have to turn around and send you one? That's a waste of postage. A simple "Happy Holidays" while passing in the hall works just fine for me, thanks."

http://home.sprynet.com/~palermo/twin_announcement-1.jpg

Christmas cheer? Humbug. All the stores and the restaurants and the babysitters are doing is trying to get more of my hard-earned money - a bit more than last year at this time so they can show the bank that they are profitable and qualify for that loan just to get bigger and advertise more and piss me off again next year.

This stuff has got to stop. I refuse to play the game.

My fellow KC forumites I appeal to you. Help ease my pain and suffering by telling me your worst Holiday Season gripe or nightmare. I know I'm not alone here.

Is There Gas in the Car? :cool:

PS - Santa, I don't know if the Electro 73 is going to fit down the chimney... so I'll leave the back door unlocked, OK?

PPS - There's milk and some of Momma's special brownies on the kitchen table for ya.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked what Lewis Black said in this clip about Christmas. :D

I will argue if a song (or movie for that matter) is any good, it will be good when it's not Christmas. It's a Wonderful Life was never intended to be a Christmas movie.

I'm tired of advertisers telling me to "show her how much I love her with diamonds." Besides finding it sexist, I'm concerned about where the diamonds come from. But let's stay away from that...

Between shopping online and living in Houston since '93, I don't feel it much anymore (it's 75° here right now and my wife and I are sweaty from raking leaves). We all should be nice and giving and friendly and helpful all year round anyway. "'Tis the season to be jolly"?? The rest of the year we're supposed to be grumpy??

There is one thing I do like about this time of year. The general slowdown at work and taking the time off. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No story for you Gas, just some hints.

1. My family quit exchanging gifts. Took 70% of the frustration away right off the top.

2. Turn your radio off, or find a station that WON'T play Christmas music (we've got one this year, yay!)

3. I don't watch TV, so I avoid the commercials. Try it, it's only a month or so.

4. Finally, one night this next week, dress warm, drive out of town, away from all the lights, and just hike out into the middle of a pasture, and spend about an hour looking up at the stars. You can reflect, or pray, or plan, or not think at all, it'll come to you automatically. Trust me on this.

(but I'm not responsible if you get trampled by a bull, sorry). :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Hey Linwood, I hope your melodica playing is better than your singing! :D

Of course Christmas, in its present state, is a retail concotion.
Agreed; we've seriously cut back on the amount of presents the kids are getting this year, and focusing more on the biblical reason for the season.

Scrooge; I mean Tom,

For us, that seems to be the antidote; focusing on the real reason for Christmas and not Hallmark's version. That and going to visit friends at their gigs to spread the holiday cheer. (I tried to buy you a beer, but your bandleader didn't seemed thrilled at my suggestion....)

Baaaa Humbug. Get it? Baaaa? hee hee hee, ho ho ho.... Cheer up dude! :D

I'm with you Gas.

You have to spend hours fighting mobs to buy people presents they don't want or don't need. Just to demontrate you bought something for them. Those receiving your gifts have to go through the same hassle to buy you gifts you don't want or need. What is the point?

There is only 1 good point to Christmas for me. I get to but great gifts for the my 2 granddaughters. They are at the age where they really believe there is a Santa Claus. Taking them to see Santa and taking them to look at the Christmas lights is awesome. It's great to see the awe and joy in their faces.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Lewis Black rules. I saw him here in Raleigh on my birthday back in October. Oh - thanks for the card guys. :rolleyes:

Yes, if I had my way, my favorite gift to get this christmas would be a front row seat to a Steely Dan concert with Lewis Black as the opening act. :thu:

Linwood - We need to have a beer together. Of course, after hearing your song, I'm pretty sure I need a major head start. Thanks for that. I'll put it in heavy rotation in my mp3 player.

cnegrad - I woulda loved that beer. The bandleader / bass player dude didn't stop me. What's he gonna do, fire me? Hard to do when you're playing for tips.

Cydonia - I don't know where you keep coming up with those pictures, but you put a sh*t-eatin' grin on my face from 1,027.49 miles away. (Yeah... I looked it up.) My wife is in the living room wrapping packages. Every once in a while she'll stop and ask me what I'm up to. :rolleyes: Keep 'em coming.

Kanker - yes, you are correct. Those are the chords to Christmas Time is Here. I tried to play it the other night at the gig. But the bass player hates Christmas Music. Imagine that. The only pseudo-Christmas tune we played was My Favorite Things. I love the Charlie Brown stuff. Did you know that Vince Guaraldi died at 47? Bummer. I bet he was one helluva partier.

Botch - I like your idea of laying down in a field, starry night, yada yada. With my luck I'd meet up with a pair of lonely sheep that wanted to have a threesome.

Nobody liked my Elf impersonation? I never knew I had the moves. :)

OK, so my daughter is at the mall buying gifts for me to give the wife. Pretty good idea on my part, huh? Ya got to get up pretty early to get one on ol' Bubba St. Nick. :D

Yeah ya do.

Keep 'em coming. I gotta walk the dog.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I went shopping yesterday, and came home with light bulbs. Really, I couldn't get into it either.

Christmas is off to a real slow start at my house. Although I do have a tree. It's a nice live Balsam. I think I'll put on some music and drag out the decorations.

Merry Christmas, Tom. May your every wish come true. :thu: (but if you don't get that red electro, here's hoping you luck into one of those toy train whistles. Now there's the real sound of Christmas.)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by gangsu:

I went shopping yesterday, and came home with light bulbs.

Ho Ho Ho!

Light Bulbs, Sue? :(

Ya know gangsu, it ain't nuthin' but a thang.

In fact, I'll bet that if you get out all your decorations, light a couple of candles, pop the cork on a bottle of wine, and invite a friend over to help you, then you could have that chore finished in no time.

Either that, or you'd forget all about decorating the tree. And that'd be OK too. :P

Meanwhile, I've got my helpers busy in the living room doing their thing. One elf is wrapping packages while the other elf is restringing her mandolin. College girl elf just walked in with BF (boyfriend). Oh boy. I've got my hands full, gangsu.

You raised two kids. They turned out alright. Have you got any advice for a grumpy old guy who's trying his best to keep a smile on his face amidst this seasonal setback called The Christmas Holidays?

Ummmmmm, good luck with your decorating.

I used to not really care about Christmas, but now that I have a daughter who is 2 1/2 years old and is just FREAKED out about the whole thing (she's waking up at 2am almost every morning, running into our room and asking if Santa has come yet), I'm enjoying this Christmas more than ever.

To see it through the eyes of a child makes it all worth it, imo.

The season is great in terms of folks being more kind and things slowing down in the workplace.

The expectations and over-commercialization of X-mas "really hang me up the most".

As a result, a hat/scarf/gloves, pack of drawers and/or a pair of slippers are no longer great gift ideas.

Now, I have to keep track of valuables and the latest in hi-tech gear. :eek::mad::)

As my needs are simple, the season would be so much better if:

a) egg nog was sold all year round. It is unfair to sell the one ingredient that enables me to compete with Baileys only between Thanksgiving and X-mas.

b) music stores had a decent sale. Nuff said.

Thanks Gas. Maybe I should re-think my gift list now. If I go with fabrics instead of electronics, I can save a few bucks. ;)

Happy Holidays! :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

They are at the age where they really believe there is a Santa Claus.

are you trying to imply that Santa does't exist? :freak:

yeah, for an adult Christmas sucks, but for a kid it is the best time of the year. So thats why we're doing it.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by gangsu:

I went shopping yesterday, and came home with light bulbs. Really, I couldn't get into it either.

Yeah, I kinda relate to this, only with me, it's bars of dark chocolate. :( For myself. :D:(

I am just not feeling it this year, so far. Not in a "grinchy" way, just, you know, not ... feeling it. As in, I'm fine with everyone else around me being in the spirit and all ... I think it's just some weird end-of-the-year blues or something ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by ProfD:

The season is great in terms of folks being more kind and things slowing down in the workplace.

Oooh, can I come work where you are? :cry:

Coming from the southern hemisphere where, if you're a teacher, Christmas hols are at least 6 weeks long, after 10 years I'm still trying to get used to the measly 1.5 weeks we get here!

Archived