Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best song to play while traveling aboard

Moon Zero Two

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by cd1981:

Yesterday I was talking to some friends and they said that the last place they would live would be in the USA. And these guys shop in huge malls, go to McDonald's, see Tom Cruise movies and generally have a much more USA influenced life than me, but still they don't aknowledge the many interesting and positiv aspects of USA culture (can't say American culture 'cause I live in america also - south america :) ).

There is certainly plenty of jealously...

But... I'd really question how many of these things are particularly "American."

I don't think it has to do much with jealously... I perfectly understand (in fact, I agree with them) those that strongly disapprove of the USA's and England's decision of invading Irak. What I don't agree with is going from that to making conclusions about people from the USA and even condemning its society as somewhat corrupt or whatever. As Marino said, it's a bad epistemic policy to infer things about the nation from information about the government (specially when it only concerns a few overly publicised decisions). My dissaproval of the invasion of Iraq and other issues doesn't stop me from appreciating and admiring a lot of things from culture of the USA.

Soundscape, you're absolutely right of course that my examples aren't exclusively "American" and I realise they don't constitute the essence of the USA (which I don't pretend to know of course). I just wrote examples that are stereotypically viewed as American.

Just wanted to clarify my position... I hope I don't offend anyone

Originally posted by RonL:

Mad World Michael Andrews

I first listened to that song in Donnie Darko...I'd definetely play that one (somehow it captures a lot of what I feel when I'm abroad sometimes...am I weird for that??), but they never let me play pianos in hotels :mad:

I think it must have to do with the fact that I look like a 19 year old when I shave...

Originally posted by marino:

Originally posted by stepay:

With all its faults, I love living in the United States.

the only two foreign countries I've ever been in are Canada and The Bahamas.

Eh... You really need to travel a bit further.

:D:D

Agreed! I really really want to too! My youngest child is 6, and I want him to be at least a couple years older and then I think it's time for a trip to Europe.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

"..Its my belief one must attempt to be discreet."

Ah, man what a tune! The only guy I now who can rhyme Juxtaposed in a song and pull it off!

He's got a way with words, all right. I recall looking up "copacetic" after hearing "I Can't Wait To Get Off Work (and See My Baby on Montgomery Avenue)".

My own favorite rhyme was for a medical society gridiron show singing ad (for a local hospital group) when I used "missed 'em" to go with "system".

Back on topic, I agree that "As Time Goes By" is perfect. A classic jazzy ballad, played by one American expatriate to another in one of the most famous films ever made.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

When I was in Italy last year, I was standing outside, and there was an old guy in a chair outside his house, humming La Vie en Rose. I started humming it too, and it was a great little moment. I don't really speak any Italian, nor did this guy speak English, but we both got to connect briefly through that song.

So, La Vie en Rose gets my vote. A quite internationally known song, and beautiful to boot.

Archived