Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best song to play while traveling aboard

Moon Zero Two

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"God Bless the USA". People from all around the world LOVE Americans and can't wait to hear American patriotic songs like that!

Just joking of course.

How about Billy Joel's "The Stranger".

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by stepay:

"God Bless the USA". People from all around the world LOVE Americans and can't wait to hear American patriotic songs like that!

:D While I don't particulary like the USA foreing policy, I think it's just ridiculous the bad press you guys (not just as a government, but as a nation even) have around the world (I'm from Chile, by the way). Yesterday I was talking to some friends and they said that the last place they would live would be in the USA. And these guys shop in huge malls, go to McDonald's, see Tom Cruise movies and generally have a much more USA influenced life than me, but still they don't aknowledge the many interesting and positiv aspects of USA culture (can't say American culture 'cause I live in america also - south america :) ).

This is horribly off-topic, but I've had this in my mind since yesterday - My apologies.

Originally posted by cd1981:

:D While I don't particulary like the USA foreing policy, I think it's just ridiculous the bad press you guys (not just as a government, but as a nation even) have around the world (I'm from Chile, by the way). Yesterday I was talking to some friends and they said that the last place they would live would be in the USA. And these guys shop in huge malls, go to McDonald's, see Tom Cruise movies and generally have a much more USA influenced life than me, but still they don't aknowledge the many interesting and positiv aspects of USA culture (can't say American culture 'cause I live in america also - south america :) ).

This is horribly off-topic, but I've had this in my mind since yesterday - My apologies.

Thanks for the nice response. With all its faults, I love living in the United States. I've been in every state except Alaska and Hawaii, and plan to get to those two some day. Need to travel over seas though as the only two foreign countries I've ever been in are Canada and The Bahamas. Not really a culture shock for me in either of those two places. Would like to travel to South America too though to give my broken Spanish a chance!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Yesterday I was talking to some friends and they said that the last place they would live would be in the USA. And these guys shop in huge malls, go to McDonald's, see Tom Cruise movies and generally have a much more USA influenced life than me, but still they don't aknowledge the many interesting and positiv aspects of USA culture (can't say American culture 'cause I live in america also - south america :) ).

There is certainly plenty of jealously...

But... I'd really question how many of these things are particularly "American."

For example, the shopping mall has conceptually existed for 100's if not 1000's of years, e.g., the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul was built starting in the 15th century:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/Grand_bazaar_interior.jpg

And as far as I can tell, the "20th century"-style mall construction started elsewhere at roughly the same time, e.g., Australia.

Actually, the irony is that the mall itself is a bit on the decline in the US--shopping for "fun" (i.e., being "trapped" inside a mall specifically designed so that you stay there) has given way to convince/low-cost shopping ("big box" retailers.) Of course, the hypermarket itself was probably first developed big time in France beginning in the 1960's...

So... many of these things are just a product of technology and/or local conditions at the time. Hollywood became the "international centre" of movie-making probably in large part because it took a commercial approach to movie-making and later international media companies poured money into Hollywood movies (e.g., Sony)... but while many specifics of the Hollywood idiom were no developed there, the movies probably owe plenty to Aristotle's ideas on plot structure, etc.

I mean... is the Walkman a Japanese cultural item? But the iPod American? I remember visiting someone overseas a few years ago and they described a certain brand of ice-cream as being "American"--yet I know that brand was a product of Unilever (an Anglo-Dutch company.) (I can't remember the brand name 'cause it's called something different in various countries--Wall's in the UK.)

Of course, that's reflected in that your friends are after the same things as Americans--it's really (more or less) the "universal" dream. :thu:

Unfortunately, the most popular song worldwide (even in some far-out-of-the-way places in the altiplano and/or jungle) is "Hotel California" -- a song which makes me cringe whenever I hear it, and which instantly takes me out of the experiential space of being where I am. If you know the song and play it they will love you. Sad but true.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

I think it's just ridiculous the bad press you guys (not just as a government, but as a nation even) have around the world (I'm from Chile, by the way).

Thank you very much. You're correct. It's completely ridiculous and 100% irrational. They are just being trendy (ironic that all these so-called "good" people find hate to be trendy). :D I guess they'd prefer a Pinochet-type society?

Tell your friends they are fortunate to have the ability to do little else but complain about free societies and ignore dictators.

As for the song to play when out-of-country, I like to play "Linus and Lucy" the Charlie Brown theme. :D

I prefer playing "Everyone was Kung-Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. :)

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

With all its faults, I love living in the United States.

the only two foreign countries I've ever been in are Canada and The Bahamas.

Eh... You really need to travel a bit further.

:D:D

As for me, I've learned many years ago to keep judgement of individual people totally separate from judgement on their governement or even their culture and environment. I guess I learned that to my own expenses, since Italy has had some horrible governements, both in the past and in recent times... Thank God, the world is now small enough that most people, in the Western world at least, can choose their own way, their life models, etc.

Originally posted by marino:

As for me, I've learned many years ago to keep judgement of individual people totally separate from judgement on their governement or even their culture and environment. I guess I learned that to my own expenses, since Italy has had some horrible governements, both in the past and in recent times... Thank God, the world is now small enough that most people, in the Western world at least, can choose their own way, their life models, etc. [/QB]

:thu:

and they can choose place to live too.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable playing the hotel piano in that situation uninvited.

But, had I been asked to play something - of course i would have to go for Stairway. :)

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Originally posted by iLaw:

Tom Waits' "Foreign Affair"

Sorry, saw the topic line and I couldn't resist.

"When traveling abroad in the Continental style ..."

Larry.

Seriously, it actually is a great solo piano piece.

Always like to see Tom Waits get a plug. Have you heard the old Manhattan Transfer a capella version of "Foreign Affair"?

Of course, it would be tougher to pull off in a hotel lobby unless you happened to be traveling with your mixed vocal quartet.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

In Mexico, hmmmm how about La Cucaracha? Seriously though how about something from Marc Anthony or Elton John, both of them are well known and easily recognizable there.

In that case, I'd go with something by Kylie - Locomation perhaps? ;)
I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Archived