Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joachim P. Dyndale

allright, since no one else will ask; i will ask. Joachim P. Dyndale, how do you pronounce your name? can you spell it phonetically for us? i at first thought 1. Joe a Cheem DinDale 2. Joe a Keem 3. Joe a chim but then i started thinking different, and thought maybe 4. YoahKeem DineDall am i even close? am i some kind of dummy? can you help me?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll try... :) Yoo akim Dyn(not as in "dine")d ah le(as in the French word for "the") Don't know if that helps... Wow a thread about my name! :) When I lived in New Orleans(about 12 years ago) I was called "Jo Dine dale". They just thaought Joe was easier than Joachim, which I understand 100%. I didn't mind. One thing about names: I don't understand what the logic is behind you Americans calling William for BILL! That's just really strange. You have several such strange "short versions" of names.

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

[quote]Originally posted by Joachim P. Dyndale: [b] One thing about names: I don't understand what the logic is behind you Americans calling William for BILL! That's just really strange. You have several such strange "short versions" of names.[/b][/quote]I never understood some of them either: - Jack for John - Dick for Richard - Peg for Margaret (isn't Betty also used for Margaret?) :confused:

i dont know about the short names joachim. but let me take another stab at your name after you gave us a little more info: here goes- you ah keem (is that right?) and then either Deen de ah lay or Din da lay this is actually kind of difficult with just text isnt it? it would be so much easier for you to just "say" your name and then we would all know how it sounds. i brought this all up because i always wondered what your name sounded like but i was too scared to ask in fear of being offensive in some way. looks like we are getting closer though, maybe you could record yourself saying your name and email it to me, then i could post it in the forum and we could all know once and for all.

[quote]Originally posted by Coaster: [b]i dont know about the short names joachim. but let me take another stab at your name after you gave us a little more info: here goes- you ah keem (is that right?)[/b][/quote]Um... No. The "you ah" part is right, but the end is like I posted: [b]kim[/b] (not the long "ee") [quote][b] and then either Deen de ah lay or Din da lay ?)[/b][/quote]Nope. It is: [b]Dyn[/b] (where the "y" sounds like the "y" at the beginning of "you") [b]dah[/b] [b]le[/b] (sounds like the "le" in "let us") [quote][b] this is actually kind of difficult with just text isnt it? it would be so much easier for you to just "say" your name and then we would all know how it sounds. i brought this all up because i always wondered what your name sounded like but i was too scared to ask in fear of being offensive in some way. looks like we are getting closer though, maybe you could record yourself saying your name and email it to me, then i could post it in the forum and we could all know once and for all.[/b][/quote]I could do that, but I think I described it pretty accurately this time, after giving it some thought.

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

My Blog...

[quote]Originally posted by mzeger: [b] - Jack for John - Dick for Richard - Peg for Margaret (isn't Betty also used for Margaret?) :confused: [/b][/quote]You're close. A lot of these names developed from nicknames that were given. For example, Margaret was shortened to Meg (don't ask me why). Peg was a variation from Meg. Betty, Beth and Liz are all shortened versions of Elizabeth. I have never, ever understood how John became Jack. But almost all of these names were based on shortened versions of proper names. - Jeffrey

[quote]Originally posted by mzeger: [b]I never understood some of them either: - Jack for John - Dick for Richard - Peg for Margaret (isn't Betty also used for Margaret?) :confused: [/b][/quote]Meg and Peg for Margaret (also Madge, Maggie and Marge). Betty for Elizabeth (also Bess, Bessie and Betsy/Betsey). English is flexible because we borrow words so readily.

Right. Margaret->Marge->Margie->Maggie->Mag->Meg->Peg William->Will->Bill Richard->Rich->Rick->Dick John->Jacques->Jack I'm guessing here. Usually, John translates into "Jean" in French, but I think Jacques is a variation. Blame France! :D ~~~ [b]Hi, Joachim![/b] :wave: I bet you know how to properly pronounce my last name. ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Joachim P. Dyndale: [b]I'll try... :) Yoo akim Dyn(not as in "dine")d ah le(as in the French word for "the") [/b][/quote]Is the "oo" sound short as in the English "look" or long as in the English "moose?" I'll take a guess at a phonetic pronunciation that Americans can understand - very few Americans can pronounce French words effectively. ;) YOO-ah-kim DIN-dah-luh where the "oo" sound is probably as in "look" and "book," not as in "moose" or "goose" - but we'll have to defer to THE MAN HIMSELF for clarification on that point. :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] YOO-ah-kim DIN-dah-luh where the "oo" sound is probably as in "look" and "book," not as in "moose" or "goose" - but we'll have to defer to THE MAN HIMSELF for clarification on that point. :D [/b][/quote]Well, you got my last name wrong... I'll give it another try: ----------- Jo: J = "y" in "you", O = the "X" marks the spot on the following scale --> "l[b]oo[/b]k"---X---"m[b]oo[/b]se" a: ah (short) chim: kim, where the "i" is like the "i" in "is" Dyn: where the "y" is like the "y" in "you", only twice as long da: d + ah (short) le: as in "[b]le[/b]t him do it" ----------- I can't explain any better than that :) dBunny: Of course, no problem! :) It's actually pretty strange, 'cause here in Norway, people almost always pronounce Dyndale in english! It's actually a the name of my Danish grand parents' old farm, which is named after a small valley (and I mean SMALL, it's in the FLAT country of Denmark :D ) where the farm is located. My parents, my sister and I are the only ones in Norway with that name. As far as I know, the only ones in the world... There may be a few other people in the world with Dyndale as their last name, but I can't find them anywhere. Kind'a cool :cool: .

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

My Blog...

Archived