Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seriously, what's wrong with off-topic Doors threads asking Dave Bryce for advice?

Darren Landrum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was 15, I had a Baldwin keyboard amplifier. It was nearly as tall as I was, and I believe it was rated at 300 watts.

One day, I plugged a 4-inch speaker into the external speaker output. I plugged an electric guitar into the amp, and for 30 seconds I had the most marvelous, dare I say magical distortion -- the sustain was phenomenal. Then, I detected the smell of something burning, and the incredible tone was lost forever.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I'm still trying to figure out why it is that the drummer, playing the most physical instrument in a typical band, also tends to be the fattest one in the band.

My last official weigh-in was at 330 pounds. I've since dropped a great deal of weight, going down two pants sizes, but I don't know exactly where I'm at now. I still have a long way to go, though.

Darren Landrum

Originally posted by Darren Landrum:

I'm still trying to figure out why it is that the drummer, playing the most physical instrument in a typical band, also tends to be the fattest one in the band.

Here's my theory on that : the drummer sits behind his instrument, so he's behind the sound. And since the other musicians are in front of the drums, the drum sounds, created by skins, are projected to them much more directly, hence why they gradually become more skinny. :idea:

Here's what happened to John Bonham's ex-wife, after 10 years of standing too close of his drums when he practiced at home :

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~nmuntal/images/Skinny.jpg

OK, I guess I need to sleep. ;)

Originally posted by marino:

:D:D:D:D

Haha, always good to hear you laugh, Marino. You get my vote for most judicious use of smileys. In your hands they seem to come alive. Must be that Italian accent.

If I ever meet you in person, you gotta tell me the 'composer in the birdcage' joke, one more time. :D

Merry Christmas!

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by gangsu:

Originally posted by Darren Landrum:

I'm a drummer more than anything else, and I never get the girl.

Come to think of it, I'm a girl and I never get the drummer.

:confused:

Sue,

I'm glad I swallowed my drink of water before I read that post because I would have spit it all over my computer keyboard. You're a hoot! :D

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Originally posted by gangsu:

Originally posted by marino:

:D:D:D:D

Haha, always good to hear you laugh, Marino.

Eh... thanks Sue. I guess it's much more appreciated these days, since it doesn't happen so often.

You get my vote for most judicious use of smileys.

"Judicious"?! I put four big grins in a row...

In your hands they seem to come alive. Must be that Italian accent.

Wait to hear me speak English. My pronounce is abysmal... I pratically speak Itanglish. :freak:

If I ever meet you in person, you gotta tell me the 'composer in the birdcage' joke, one more time. :D

Well - not in English for sure!! ;)

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you, Sue!

Haha, judicious as in 'wise', not 'sparing'.

Not that I deserved 4 big grins! It's a sad commentary that the funniest thing is often the sad truth.

I'd love to hear your Itanglish. If I didn't understand, it would likely be because your vocabulary exceeds my own.

I've always enjoyed your knack with those smiley's ... just decided to let you know. Today. ;-)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived