Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new digital piano

ozsj

Hi, I have been saving up for a Kawai MP8, but will not be able to afford this for another six months. I have decided to find a temporary replacement and noticed quite a few references in these forums to the Casio PX310.

I can pick up a second hand PX300 for about $700 Australian dollars which is very cheap. PX310 is $1200 and the MP8 $3500 for comparison.

Any idea of the differences between 300 and 310 series? Are people generally happy with digital pianos as a compromise when no other option is available?

The instrument will be used solely for classical music with some Sennheiser headphones (I live in a unit).

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way to be sure about any digital piano is : try it yourself, and for at least 30 minutes. Don't be afraid to take your time. No digital piano can replace a real grand action and response, but many people like me can deal with the compromise. I also do a lot of classical piano.

If you already have a good technique, a digital piano offers the advantages of being silent when you want, no tuning, etc. And you will not destroy your technique using a digital then coming back on a grand.

On the other hand, it could be a little more tricky if you are, for example, studying piano and beginning. Then you will have to make sure to concentrate on a correct technique using the digital. A good teacher will take care of this, so you can play fine back on a grand piano.

Here are some stuff to check during your 30-minutes test :

- Check if you like the sounds. Are they realistic enough for you?

- Test the action. Do you feel comfortable? Is is too light, too heavy, etc.?

- Practice crescendo and decrescendo passages to see if the digital piano responds in an acceptable fashion.

- Check how the piano responds to your legato and staccato touch. How do you like the sound response vs. the way you attack the keys?

- See if the piano offers alternate tunings or any other parameter that you feel indispensable.

Again, take your time to test it. :)

If the one you test has failed in too many of the above aspects (plus all the ones you will personally check according to your needs), choose another piano, wait for the Kawai, or test another brand you've never tested before.

And welcome to the forums. :wave:

Thanks Cydonia, all very good suggestions. Unfortunately the PX300 is in a second hand auction and so there is no opportunity to try it.

However, I have just made up my mind to get it. I can always sell it later.

I never would have come across the Casio if not for these forums. They are a fantastic resource.

Thank you very much. :)

Archived