Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Doors Solo

Michael Gallant

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by The Real MC:

What - is your favorite Doors solo?

"Love Me Two Times" No! "Riders Of The Storm"

AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh (plunges into bottomless ravine)

Damn, MC... you actually got me to giggling over here. ;):thu:

http://soundthinking.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bridgekeeper.jpg

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Damn, MC... you actually got me to giggling over here. ;):thu:

http://soundthinking.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bridgekeeper.jpg

+1 :thu::D

Holy Grail places solidly in my list of the best comedies of all time (together with Spinal Tap, Animal House, and Stripes). My 8 year-old got into that movie recently, and it was among my proudest moments as a dad to hear him cackle at that scene (right up there with when he told me that "Run To The Hills" by Iron Maiden was among his favorite songs)! :thu:

Noah

P.S. My apologies for continuing to break the rule against going "off-topic." :rolleyes:

Originally posted by burningbusch:

It seems that Michael's question has purpose, i.e. an upcoming issue featuring Ray in some fashion. If we want the editors at Keyboard to continue to solicit our input we should attempt to provide direct, thoughtful responses to their questions.

Maybe. Maybe it's just to settle a bar bet with a friend. :idea:

Seriously - I would hope that if Michael (or anyone from Keyboard mag) was doing research or collecting material for an article and wanted the thread to be more focused/would prefer not to wade through the sidetracking, he/they'd steer it that way....

...otherwise, I'm afraid we can't be held responsible for unsolicited opinions, attempts to reroute the thread (does the thread title ask if anyone likes the Doors? :rolleyes:;) ), and other outbreaks of...personality. :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'm not sure if any of this grade school whining about off topic/like dislike mish mash is directed towards my comment or not. But if so.

1> My comment IS an ANSWER to the original question of 'favorite doors solo?'......

my answer was obvoulsy NONE of them...

...in a public opionion forum that answer should be just as valid as any other,.... unless only 'one-sided' opinions are all that anywone wants, which of course; how accurate and balanced is that ???

2> My resoning was also spelled out clearly,

--- because I think all there songs sound like crap..... its as simple as that..

So as far as Im concerned my comment WAS valid and ON TOPIC.....

jeeeesh... loosen up people... drink a beer or something...

Originally posted by HomeAmateur:

jeeeesh... loosen up people... drink a beer or something...

You know which beer I like? NONE of them. :D:idea:

Hey, it's a free country. You wanna wander into a thread where people are talking about some music they like just so you can tell them that you think what they like sucks/sounds like crap/whatever, help yourself...just don't be surprised if you're met with something less than a warm welcome when you do... ;)

...and referring to other people's comments as "grade school whining" may not be the best way to engage them in pleasant discussion. :rolleyes:

dB

Sven,

I just knew you'd be the first one to catch that.... Congrats....

Holy free-holy,... am I suddenly in the twilight zone or something ???

since when is voicing an opinion in this forum which is contrary to the original like/dislike of the post a federal crime... ???

the past year or so Ive been around here its been quite the norm....

My intentins were in NO WAY to BASH the Doors,,, they were an HONEST ANSWER to the question.

If this forum 'suddenly' only wants responces to post that are ONLY in total agreement with said post, ...well that would seem rather drab and boring.....zzzzzzzz

hmmmm,... apparently even after over a year here, im just some schmuck 'wandering in' to post...

Did I ever mention that I used to be in a Doors tribute band?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/krakit/meray.gif?t=1166177909

I grew to dispise the Doors.

Never satisfied with playing Ray's solos "note for note", I used to improvise using Ray's style. I would start and end the solo using Ray's licks (so as not to confuse the band) but all the rest was me. This used to drive the lead singer bonkers! The crowds loved it but "Jim" hated that I took liberties.

One reviewer wrote that "my playing sounded just like Ray, if Ray had about thirty more years of lessons".

That being said, I think I had the most fun playing the solo in Light My Fire (although Riders was always a blast as well). The thing is that the left hand in Riders on the Storm is just playing the same small pattern over and over and over again. Not that the left hand in Light my Fire isn't repetitive as well (it is), but it's far more interesting than the bass line in Riders.

Depending on my mood, I would freestyle for 20 minutes or more on these tunes. "Jim" would come over to "whisper" in my ear to "fucking end it already". Hahahahahahahaha. The crowds loved it, fuck the wig wearing wanna be.

:D

Carl

Carl

Carl,

If I said to you, "we're not a cover band, we're a TRIBUTE band!!" would it mean anything to you? :D

Back on topic, :eek: I'd like to answer the original question, but I went through a phase were every time I heard The Doors, I got annoyed and/or bored. More recently, I've been getting a bit back into them and am considering buying the box set on iTunes as I never had all the albums. But, I haven't listened enough to have enough familiarity to have a favorite solo. I don't even recognize some of the tunes named earlier in the thread.

I liked what he did in the video linked here , though!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

since when is voicing an opinion in this forum which is contrary to the original like/dislike of the post a federal crime... ???

If this forum 'suddenly' only wants responces to post that are ONLY in total agreement with said post, ...well that would seem rather drab and boring.....zzzzzzzz

hmmmm,... apparently even after over a year here, im just some schmuck 'wandering in' to post...

Don't take it personally man. As we have noted in the other "off-topic" threads, KC is a community.

Everyone has a similar interest or else none of us would be hanging out around here.

Stick around and continue to voice your opinion, on- or off-topic.

Just be prepared for the impending wrath if you forget to spell check or profess hate for Duran 2X when the question is could Nick Rhodes really play. :eek::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Joe Muscara:

Carl,

If I said to you, "we're not a cover band, we're a TRIBUTE band!!" would it mean anything to you? :D

I felt like I was the only one in the band that didn't take it too seriously. I thought of it as musical prostitution. It paid extremely well, but I was definately selling out.

I can't listen to the Doors anymore. I've had several lifetimes of it. I still play the tunes to amuse myself sometimes, but I can't hear them on the radio without spinning the dial.

Carl

Keyboard did a great story on Ray years back - transcribed a couple of solo's - Riders/ LA Women / Light My Fire - great fun - never had the patience to transcribe them myself - learned the beginning and the end and a couple of the signature licks.

Good stuff IMHO - don't understand why this topic generates such hear - it's a big tent. At least there are some memorable key parts in Doors stuff.

Originally posted by ProfD:

Don't take it personally man. As we have noted in the other "off-topic" threads, KC is a community.

Everyone has a similar interest or else none of us would be hanging out around here.

Stick around and continue to voice your opinion, on- or off-topic.

Just be prepared for the impending wrath if you forget to spell check or profess hate for Duran 2X when the question is could Nick Rhodes really play. :eek::cool:

+1 :evil::cool:

dB

I'm not sure if any of this grade school whining about off topic/like dislike mish mash is directed towards my comment or not. But if so

Actually, the reaction is fallout from the last Doors thread (a discussion of "Light My Fire" that went south in very similar fashion) a few days ago...

Don't take it personal. Dave Horne, among others (myself included) took the opportunity in that thread to lambaste the Doors, and it got pretty crazy pretty fast...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently taking a beating over in the Guitar Player forum because of my views on Free's "All Right Now" and the excessively long solo in that song...

Originally posted by Griffinator:

I'm not sure if any of this grade school whining about off topic/like dislike mish mash is directed towards my comment or not. But if so

Actually, the reaction is fallout from the last Doors thread (a discussion of "Light My Fire" that went south in very similar fashion) a few days ago...

Don't take it personal. Dave Horne, among others (myself included) took the opportunity in that thread to lambaste the Doors, and it got pretty crazy pretty fast...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently taking a beating over in the Guitar Player forum because of my views on Free's "All Right Now" and the excessively long solo in that song...

Man, "All Right Now" vs. The Doors. Boy I'd take The Doors any day in that competition. I know you hate The Doors -- assuming you hate that Free song also?

Don't want to get into more Doors debates, but I'm really shocked that so many here seem to hate them. Cool keyboard wrapped up in huge band DYNAMICS is what makes The Doors a GREAT band -- also tougher to play well than "All Right Now" which is why 90% of bar bands play "All Right Now" and WAY fewer attempt a Doors song (and before someone says it's because people don't like The Doors, I beg to differ; we'd play LA Woman or Riders On The Storm and people would go NUTS).

I would stick my finger in my eye before I'd ever agree to play All Right Now.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by BonsoWonderDog:

I hate the Doors....

I hate to knock my little toe against a door. Very hurtful.

When this happens, I usually solo words and sentences on a certain theme, but I can't reproduce them here for obvious reasons.

Originally posted by stepay:

Man, "All Right Now" vs. The Doors. Boy I'd take The Doors any day in that competition. I know you hate The Doors -- assuming you hate that Free song also?

Don't want to get into more Doors debates, but I'm really shocked that so many here seem to hate them. Cool keyboard wrapped up in huge band DYNAMICS is what makes The Doors a GREAT band -- also tougher to play well than "All Right Now" which is why 90% of bar bands play "All Right Now" and WAY fewer attempt a Doors song (and before someone says it's because people don't like The Doors, I beg to differ; we'd play LA Woman or Riders On The Storm and people would go NUTS).

I would stick my finger in my eye before I'd ever agree to play All Right Now.

LOL!

Guess I need to hang here more. Too many crusty old classic-rock guitarists over there... ;)

Oh, but wait - most of the folks over here hate heavy metal...

Nobody wants me... :cry:

If I totally hated the Doors I never would have joined a tribute band.

However, enough is enough. I had to eat, sleep and BE the Doors for four years.

That get's old after only 1 and a half years! :D

I was torn when I sold off my Rhodes piano bass and Vox organ.

Still, I don't think I could ever go back to doing that stuff exclusively ever again.

Like I said, I can't listen to it any more. I still noodle with Doors music every once in a twhile.

In fact, the whole "tribute band experience" left me with a sour taste in my mouth for playing covers at all.

I'm very happy doing all originals now.

Carl

I played in a 60s band for 4 years in Cincinnati. We did several Doors tunes, where the bass player took off his axe and I kicked bass. Along with the usual "Light My Fire" and "Roadhouse Blues", we did "When the Music's Over" to really kick out the jams.

It was fun, and I wasn't so saturated in it that I got sick of it.

Moe

---

Originally posted by RonL:

Keyboard did a great story on Ray years back - transcribed a couple of solo's - Riders/ LA Women / Light My Fire - great fun - never had the patience to transcribe them myself - learned the beginning and the end and a couple of the signature licks.

February 1991 issue, page 81.

Funny stuff.....

The year Milli Vanilli got busted....

Faith No More released "The Real Thing".....

The Kawai Spectra had 14 voice polyphony !!

Peavey made synths.....the DPM 3se was released

The Atari "Stacy" was reviewed.

I could go on and on........

Archived