Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who do you think is better then Keith Emerson?

Ironstorm

Originally posted by Jode:

[/qb]

I can. Carpal tunnel syndrome. [/QB]

Actually it was an Ulnar Nerve problem if I recall correctly. Not exactly sure what that is or does. At the time he wasn't expected to be able to play after the surgery. I do remember a statement from him at the time that he wouldn't be doing any more touring.

I too am a loooong time Emo fan. I see him whenever I can. I will admit that he sometimes doesn't have the speed or dexterity that he once did and that occasionally he appears to struggle a bit. Considering what happened to him I think he has done pretty well for himself. He still inspires me although I'm just a hobbyist and can't play a major amount of his stuff yet.

As far as his left hand is concerned every time I watch Bitches Crystal on the Montreux DVD I'm just blown away!!

There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BluMunk:

Originally posted by Krakit:

BTW, take if from one of Keith Emerson's BIGGEST fans, his left hand isn't THAT special. A more impressive south paw belongs to Billy Joel.

Carl

Wow! I love Billy Joel, but it seems to me that at least half of his tunes involve not much more than octaves in the bass. He would be near the bottom of my list of "piano players I like with great left hand skills".
He dosent' showcase it in enough tunes, but I believe that Billy is left handed.

I have some trouble with other left hand parts of Billy's, but they aren't coming to mind right now. That break in Stilleto has been a thorn in my side for many years.

I just can't get those two parts going at the same time.

Hmmmmm, has BJ ever played Stilleto LIVE?

Maybe he can't either. :D

Carl

Originally posted by Magpel:

Keeping the question in his genre, I'll take the witty, quirky, and pomp-free playing of Kerry Minear any day.

I'm comming so late to the Gentle Giant party.
Yep, Kerry adds the flair for things like the Clavinet and such. He has everything else, including vocals, composition, vibes, and cello. A decade can easily be spent on Gentle Giant (I'm on my 2nd).

All of the greats mentioned are great. It comes down to subjectivity.

Originally posted by Jode:

[/qb]

I can. Carpal tunnel syndrome. [/QB]

Actually it was an Ulnar Nerve problem if I recall correctly. Not exactly sure what that is or does. At the time he wasn't expected to be able to play after the surgery. I do remember a statement from him at the time that he wouldn't be doing any more touring.

I too am a loooong time Emo fan. I see him whenever I can. I will admit that he sometimes doesn't have the speed or dexterity that he once did and that occasionally he appears to struggle a bit. Considering what happened to him I think he has done pretty well for himself. He still inspires me although I'm just a hobbyist and can't play a major amount of his stuff yet.

As far as his left hand is concerned every time I watch Bitches Crystal on the Montreux DVD I'm just blown away!!

There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

Maybe the use of the word better is something that should`nt have been used in this topic?

My intention was to get people talking about there favorite keyboard players mine just happens to be Emerson. Comments like parents hockey site and kindergarten shows lack of intelligent conversation! The best comment on this thread was by ProfD, You see it more everyday there are a lot of people out there who can play better then everyone mentioned on this thread and are being pastover by someone with a computer software program and don`t know ther ass from a hole in the ground about playing an instrument they type in something on a computer keyboard and win a music award. This is whats wrong with the music biz today. Remember Ashly Simson on SNL a perfect example

Alembic SC Standard slim neck taper

Warrior Signature fretless

G&L L2000 Spalt top w/Maple fretboard

Ibanez SR500

Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5

Two Genz-Benz Neox 1x12T cabs

Genz-Benz XB2 4x10 cab

Originally posted by ProfD:

a cat who cannot find middle C on his 37-key M-Audio MIDI controller will make millions.

Maybe someone just hit the octave transpose button a few times before that cat came over to play.

On some keyboards, if you push the up and down buttons at the same time, it will reset the transpose setting.

BTW, why doesn't anyone make a 37 note MIDI controller that goes from G# to G# ???

Originally posted by steadyb:

BTW, why doesn't anyone make a 37 note MIDI controller that goes from G# to G# ???

Well, there's that 26 note one here which goes from F# to G... Which is pretty close to what you're looking for. Unfortunately, since it was built in 1876, it doesn't offer poly aftertouch.

http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/machines/telegraph/HARMON.jpg

It might be the novelty of discovering an entire catalogue of music all at once and having a honeymoon with GG, but they are skyrocketing up my personal charts.

Carl

No, it's not the novelty. I don't even like prog anymore, for the most part, and I still adore Gentle Giant as when I first laid ears on them ('77 or so). It's not their showboatin' multi-instrumentalist prowess (though show me a band with a more gifted multi-instrument than Ray Shulman...); it's the delicate, snaky, weird and wildly imaginative music. To my ears, they make most other prog bands sound like big, lumbering machines. Humble opinion, mind you... ;)
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived