Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Stand Preferences?

SpaceNorman

What are your preferences in keyboard stands? I'm lugging a Yamaha P200 and a Roland RD700SX - and am currently using an "X" style stand. I've been giving some thought to switching over to one of the "Z" style stands - mostly because it looks like the "Z" style stand offers more "leg room" (I play seated). Anybody have any experience with the "Z" stands? Any issue stability? Are they prone to side to side sway?
The SpaceNorman :freak:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SpaceNorman:

What are your preferences in keyboard stands? I'm lugging a Yamaha P200 and a Roland RD700SX - and am currently using an "X" style stand. I've been giving some thought to switching over to one of the "Z" style stands - mostly because it looks like the "Z" style stand offers more "leg room" (I play seated). Anybody have any experience with the "Z" stands? Any issue stability? Are they prone to side to side sway?

Norm, there are lots of threads to be searched on this topic.

You must have a strong back to haul those two monsters around. The Z stands are pretty strong , I plan on purchasing one of the heavier made models for my rig.

If it were me, I think you should consider going on a wieght loss program for that rig. You are using two boards that are simalar in nature. Two 88 key stage type keyboards may not be necessary. I would drop one and either go with a rack or a clone or Synth on top.

Trill I have to agree- 2 piano based boards? Neither of them have secondary sounds that are better than a much smaller 61 note rompler type synth like a Motif, Triton, etc.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

X stands are an evil foisted on the world of keyboard players by an evil guitar player conspiracy.

The object is to make us look like dorks standing behind ironing boards, so that the guitar players get all the female attention. :freak:

I have never used an X stand. Back in the day I went from big free standing Hammonds and Rhodes to a big Apache A frame, to making my own collapsible stands out of cut down Apache parts which are suitable for a 2 keyboard stack (see my avatar).

Moe

---

I have an Ultimate IQ3000 X-stand (out of production, I think). I like it because it is the most sturdy X-stand I've ever encountered. Is there anything out currently that has a similar build to it, as for as heft and sturdiness?

What alternatives are there besides X-stands? I don't like the Z-stands. I've never seen the quiklok stand that has 4 legs in person, and I'm suspicious that it has wobble problems with the 4 legs. Anyone who uses it, how is the wobble, compared to X-stands?

Thanks.

Yeah - I'm definitely lugging around a chiropracter's dream rig. It's just that my digits have always protested in the most unflattering manner possible during any attempt I've made to make them play on a "synth" type keyboard. I feel I'm at my best playing a weighted action board - so I keep lugging the hefty ones.

Re my stand question - I did search the forum for posts on stands - and came across a couple of threads that included horror stories about "X" stands collapsing mid gig - and one account of an "X" keyboard bench collapsing that stuck me as particularly gruesome. I didn't find much in terms of comments about alternatives though... I was searching for hope of a brighter future before I forked out more cash. (Hey, the wife's already hollering about my GAS problem, don'tcha know!) I'll take the heat if it's an improvement - but would hate to spend if in the end it's just a different turd.

Originally posted by daviel:

I don't think you can beat X stands. I have a Z stand and a standtastic stand, but I always end up taking the X just because it is less hassle.

+1

Ultimate Support, double-braced X stand for sitting.

Apex for standing.

The X-stand that collapsed on me at the beach (it was a Monday and I was playing nekid) :eek:;) was a cheap single-braced Gator stand. My toenail is still growing back. :rolleyes:

Know anybody who wants to buy a single-tier Ultimate Support A-frame? :freak:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm with Moe on this one. X-stands are the spawn of the devil. I've used a two-tiered QuikLok Monolith for several years. A little on the expensive side, but it folds open in two seconds and gives plenty of room for pedals and switchs, which are kept from running away by the bottom bar. And I don't think it will ever collapse.

Larry.

Xstands suck unequivocally.

I've had Apex stands, custom painted by a motorcycle customizer. (Still got 1 left, dark black lacquer with psychedelic handprints)

I've got some Ws550s with my patented 5 minute, $2 second tier that you leave installed. (when I sit, this is the stand I use)

I've got a pair of Invisible Stands (for standing). Awesome!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I used a QuikLok X stand for a long time. It worked great for my bottom 2 boards, but put the third tier too far away to reach. So I went with the Standtastic. So far, I love it. Takes up a little more room front to back, but it's solid, packs up nicely, and all 3 tiers are reachable. Bad part, once you place a keyboard on it, there's no good way to move it if it needs to be placed differently short of taking the boards off. Also, it takes a long time to adjust the height of the boards, so there's no flexibility. You either sit or stand.

I bought the 2 tier and added the third, so I'm locked into playing seated. I don't mind.

http://static.flickr.com/95/263053321_a493c4d800.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/120/287321203_87893e8a3a.jpg

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Every time a stand thread comes along, I promise myself that I will put up a web page on my stand design. And then I slack off...

If you ever decide to show your stand design, I would appreciate it.

In the meantime, it looks like that Quiklok Monolith is a awesome stand. Maybe I'll dish out the dough for that. Especially with the two tiers, it's pretty nice. How sturdy is it? Can you bang on an 88 weighted keyboard without it moving?

My QuikLok Monolith is two-tiered and rock solid with 88 weighted keys on the bottom (what's on top varies with the gig).

Your wrist tendons asked me to ask you not to bang on any keyboard, regardless of the stand. The tendonitis/carpal tunnel syndrome threads run a close second to the tinnitus threads in this forum. ;)

Larry.

I've used one of these for years with big, heavy keyboards (KX-88, PC-88, PC2x, XB3, etc) and never had a problem. They're very stabile, easy to set-up and tear down, and the built in mic stand means I have one less thing to carry on gigs.

Ultimate Apex AX48B 2-Tier Column Keyboard Stand

Ultimate Apex AX48B 2-Tier Column Keyboard Stand

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

I just ordered a quiklok Z-72, largly based on a recent thread around here. I need the option of sitting or standing, quick setup, quick adjustment, and rock solid. All the comperable stands either weren't tall enough, or seemed like more work. The comperable professional Z stand can hold a lot more weight, but it's heavier and looks like more work to set up.

Use the search feature. This topic pops up a lot.

If you're interested in a Z-72 stand, track one down soon. The kid at GC tells me they're discontinued.

--wmp

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Ultimate Support VS80. I have 3 of them for different bands, one with the 2nd tier attachment (which actually works well), and it's very solid with my K26XX 88 noters and various 2nd keyboards (from K2661 to Motif to NE73 to XK3 - works great!)

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

+1 on the Standtastic stand. I've been using mine for about 2 months now and it's much better than the Xstand I had previously. I have 3 tiers for my Roland, NE73 and Nord Lead 2X. Everything fits nicely with plenty of room underneath. Packs up into a manageable package which is really nice.

k

Hammond B3, Leslie 122 - is there anything else?

I've used X-stands (quik-lok and Ultimate) and they're fine. I always had a hard time getting the second tier just right. So I got an Apex -- fairly solid (I use either an S-90 or a MO8 on the bottom and an Electro61 on the top)... very fast set-up... but I really wanted to put a small angle on the upper keyboard... so I bought a K&M Spider Pro:

http://www.spiderpro.de/english/index.html

It's a bit steadier than an Apex, sets up almost as fast as an Apex and provides a bit of a tilt on the second tier. So far, it has held up well (a few dings on the side facing me, but not noticeable. A little pricey unless you can find B stock like I did -- or maybe catch one on eBay.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Originally posted by Bluzkeys:

Those of you who are using the Z-stand. Which brand are you using? I have found three brands:

OnStage

Quik Lok

Professional

After reading most of the posts in this forum, I went with the Quiklok Z726L, which is a wider frame for supporting the 88s, and enough positions to suit even the most discriminating taste. I decided on this brand because of recommendations on the forum, but also because of the number of accessories they have available. I added the Z728 mic boom and 2 of the Z731 utility shelfs. So far, I've been very pleased with the results. Very sturdy for both of my 88s, and room for the mixer and beer! :)

My all time favorite stand has to be the Unison Stand. I guess no one here has ever used (or liked) them. It's sturdy, and light. It's a bit awkward to pack unless you dismantle it, but I don't.

Unfortunately, the company is out of business!

I like it so much, that I bought a second stand just this morning on ebay!!!

http://myspace-578.vo.llnwd.net/01558/87/51/1558841578_m.jpg

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

The monolith is not listed on the QuikLok website, so I'm not sure they're still in production.

Have they gotten their US distribution problems solved?

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived