Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

glissand(i/os)

wfred

Please be gentle w/me if this topic has been well covered elsewhere in the forum! & point me in the right direction.

I'm having a super time working w/JL Lewis tunes from the Original Golden Hits Vols 1&2 & Last Man Standing CD's. In a very short time, pick & choose JLL licks/solos have helped me really expand my rockabilly & b/w playing skills.

Now, I want to learn how to execute glissandos.

I play on an Alesis QS8 & am making some progress w/(slower)decending glisses using my rt index & middle fingers. But!--I have a terrible blister on the (out)side of my rt thumb from trying to do ascending glisses.

I'd really appreciate some help!

Thanks, WFB

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WFB,

I've been playing for over a hundred years and I still can't get it right. Whether I use my fingernails, thumbnail, palm... it doesn't matter. By the end of the night my fingernails are cracked and splitting, my fingers are bloody.

It seems to have gotten worse with the weighted keys on my PC2X. Or maybe I'm getting old and there's not as much collagen in my fingernails, so they crack easily.

Fact is, I can try to be careful and gentle, but in the heat of the moment, it's a timing thing and my brain just doesn't engage fast enough to use a safer technique (I guess). I'll look down and my fingers are bleeding. But then I'll look out into the audience & everbody is dancing and having a great time.

So what's the answer? I guess I'd like to know this as well. :rolleyes:

Maybe we put in a call to this guy's manicurist. :freak:

http://www.hhrf.org/ifi/200003/im11.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Actually, I'd be interested in this as well. I've never got up the nerve to ask however.

I usually use the heel of my palm to do glissandos, but it doesn't work so well and I actually don't even do it as much as I would like. Most of the time, I see players use the knuckle part of their index and middle fingers (together) to do the ascending glissando, but that is a little painful for me...but maybe I'm doing it wrong. For descending, I see most people use their thumb somehow, but that seems to hurt me also. Either I have sensitive hands or I'm just doing it wrong.

The patient says "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that!"

Henny Youngman

Well I'm no expert on piano glissados. But I like to use the back of my thumbnail(right paw) for the descending gliss, and the back of of my hand or first two or three fingers for ascending.

Try switching the digits you're using with the directions... and use the nail side of the thumb/finger... so for descending, use the thumb... for ascending, use the index/middle/all 4 fingers.

If you search YouTube for Jerry Lee Lewis you'll see lots of examples of The Killer himself, and you'll see how he does it. :thu:

Archived