Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Cheap PA

Hi, Got a question for my fellow musicians. I need to get a good cheap PA (probably an oxymoron, but I gotta try). I have found this one by Audio Choice from Soundcraft http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030206151818024189189120101180/search/g=live/detail/base_id/100465 which is really cheap, and this one by Crate http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030206151818024189189120101180/search/g=live/detail/base_id/39500 . I've also seen a lot of inexpensive ones from Kuston and Rogue but I'm not sure about that. What do you think?

Maybe all there is to life

Is to ask the questions,

And to Survive

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are both VERY low powered PA's... I would think they're only suitable for vocals and acoustic guitars in a coffeehouse setting or something. If you use a drummer, or play electric instruments you may have a problem with these. If possible, try before you buy. If price is the main concern... then... - Wait until you have more money. $800 to $1,000 would get you LOTS more PA. - Buy USED gear. There's lot of it about, and you can stretch your $'s further. - RENT or borrow a PA when you have a gig... guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

might be a good idea to tell us WHY you need the pa. what are you planning to use it for? a KB300 is plenty loud for a vocalist in a small setting, and yoou can sell it or use it for something else later. think "modular" when it comes to p.a. its gonna break, they all break, and if it comes apart and you can still use it - well, weve all been there...

For the money a Yamaha or Peavey all in one unit is really a good deal. I suggest getting at least eight channels and stereo power. However, for the really best of the bunch the Carvin three channel unit is simply impossible to beat with components. I do not agree with the logic that you should buy components because something is going to break. The Carvin PA 800 has eight loZ channels, three 333 watt (into 4 ohm) amplifiers and weighs 28 lbs. It costs $669. The 12 channel version is $769. There is no way to put together a component system with all the features for anywhere near these prices...and they weigh 28 pounds! A stereo amp that generates 333 watts of power would weigh 65 lbs or more and cost over $300 dollars alone. If it breaks, you have to get it fixed before your PA will work again...same thing with the seperate mixer, seperate EQ, and seperate effects units in a component system. Same thing with the Carvin, Yamaha or Peavey units. They break, you got no PA until they're fixed. All are good stable, reliable pieces of gear. I wish I owned one for a rental unit..

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

There is no such animal. Cheap PA's just plain suck. The suck factor decreases considerably with Mackie, and I can't speak for Carvin. Just for laughs, Mark G, where do you get the idea that [quote]A stereo amp that generates 333 watts of power would weigh 65 lbs or more and cost over $300 dollars alone. [/quote]yet, [quote] The Carvin PA 800 has eight loZ channels, three 333 watt (into 4 ohm) amplifiers and weighs 28 lbs.[/quote]? If a quality stereo amp with similar power specs weighs over twice as much as the Carvin, what kind of quality and reliability do you suppose the Carvin is capable of? Seems suspicious to me. If you have to go with a low cost, all in one head with speakers, Mackie, Yamaha, and Peavey all make acceptable products. If you want a good PA for a live band, none of these will suffice. A moderately heavy footed drummer can outpace a vox only PA of this sort on any given day. PA's for most music applications cost money. You wouldn't spend $5,000 on a new car and expect it to be reliable, efficient and powerful. PA's under $2000 will be deficient in one or more areas.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

For our smaller club gigs (most of them), we have a venerable old Peavey 6-channel all-in-one. I think it's a PA450 or something like that. We typically mic only 4 vocals and maybe the kick drum. We also have a matching monitor amp for the gigs where they're needed. This unit has served us flawlessly since about 1985. I can't say enough good about it. Like all equipment, take care of it and it will last. For our larger gigs, we have a 16-channel Mackie/Alesis/Crown rig that has also performed extremely well.

First of all that Audio Choice ISN'T BY SOUNDCRAFT. It's by Sound tech. I actually heard it when I went to an audition back in Albuquerque. It totally sucks! Even for rehearsal it sucked! You can do way better!! Suggest the used route big time! I cannot attest to the Crate system. Rick

[quote]Originally posted by Rick Kreuzer: [b]First of all that Audio Choice ISN'T BY SOUNDCRAFT. It's by Sound tech. I actually heard it when I went to an audition back in Albuquerque. It totally sucks! Even for rehearsal it sucked! You can do way better!! Suggest the used route big time! I cannot attest to the Crate system. Rick[/b][/quote]I have a 6-channel 200W Soundtech in my studio for rehearsals. It is OK for that but I would certainly not trust it for an actual gig. It is cheap, flimsy and weak. Definitely go the used route if that is your budget. As I posted above, those old Peaveys are workhorses with OK sound. Take a look here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2505366631&category=23785 It's a bit lower end than ours but a lot newer. Here's another one that looks kinda interesting: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2506590237&category=3278

Archived