Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

disable Trumpet patch Vibrato in XV-5050?

harmonizer

Hi,

I am trying to use the Solo trumpet patch (XA:284: TpSoloistSRX) from the SRX-07 expansion card in my Roland XV-5050 sound module, since I think it sounds better than the trumpet patches in the XV-5050 base unit. My problem is that I am not using this patch to play a solo, but instead as part of a horn ensemble, and I can't make its vibrato go away.

I have an M-Audio 88es 88-key controller (on MIDI channel 1), as well as a Roland PK-5 footpedal controller (on MIDI channel 2), with the M-Audio cabled up to the XV-5050 via the PK-5. When I drive this trumpet patch from either of these, I hear the vibrato. I copied the XA:284 tone to the user bank of patches, in the hope of finding some patch setting I would be able to edit (in the copy) to stop the vibrato, without success. I have also included the XA:284 patch in a "Performance", and I looked for some Performance setting I could use to stop the vibrato, again without success.

In case it matters, the modulation wheel is turned all the way down on my M-Audio 88es keyboard.

Today I finally conceded that I would not be able to disable the Trumpet patch vibrato via the "front panel" controls of my XV-5050, and brought the XV-5050 up from the basement, hooked it up to my PC via USB, and fired up the XV editor. While I did look through the online help and the XV-5050 manual, as well as doing some searches on Google and this forum, I did not see anything that looked like it might help me stop the vibrato.

I am a newbie when it comes to MIDI, I have never done any patch editing, and I have never done anything with the XV editor except verifying that it connects to my XV-5050.

Another strange thing is that when I listen through headphones plugged into the headphone jack of the XV-5050, I do not notice the Trumpet vibrato effect in my headphones. This is true whether I am driving my XV-5050 from my M-Audio controller & PK-5 controllers, or driving the XV-5050 from the "keyboard" displayed on the bottom of the XV Editor window.

Can anyone suggest a way to disable the vibrato effect for this trumpet patch from the SRX-07 expansion card? Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the first thing to do is look at the LFO's and see what they're up to--set depth to 0 in all cases and for all tones that comprise the patch.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/8813/xveditoraw0.png

If the vibrato is in the sample per se, there is nothing you can do about it.

Originally posted by soundscape:

If the vibrato is in the sample per se, there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm just quoting this as this is a very important point that should not get lost beneath the image soundscape posted.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The LFO2 Depth settings had been set to 5 (Pitch), 2 (TVA), and 2 (TVF). Pan was already set at "0". I used the XV Editor to change the 5-2-2 values to be 0-0-0 (for LFO2 Depth), and then brought the XV-5050 downstairs, and voila! - the vibrato was gone!

I would not have figured this out by myself in a million years (and I still don't really understand what these settings mean). Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Archived