Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elka Synthex

ABECK

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! I don't know if the price is a bargain or not, but the Synthex was a really cool instrument, often compared to the Oberheim Matrix 12, soundwise. :cool:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I used one of these on a record a few years ago. For all of its physical girth, to me the sound was very similar to the Roland JX3P / MKS-30. It was surely a "good" sounding analog synth, but not a "big" sounding analog synth. Very polite and in control -- nothing at all like the gigantic sounds of a CS-80, old Moog or even Oberheim FVS or OBX.

To put my opinion in perspective, I'm not a fan of the Matrix-12 for the same reason. I always thought the FVS and OBX (not OBXa or OB8) synths sounded WAY better. I've owned and used them all, and believe me, I really wanted each newer model to sound better than the previous. It was a rude awakening when they didn't!

Best regards,

Erik

Archived