Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS time

wmp

Ordered a Hammond XK-3 and a Quiklok Z-72 stand today. I never learned to love the user interface of the PC2X or the Electro. The XK-3 blew me away. Sounds great, and the user interface is like a long lost friend. It was the quickest, easiest decision I've made in a while. Haven't been this excited about a new instrument in decades.

On the way to try the Hammond, the "buy new car soon" light came on. Yeah, it says "service engine soon", but that's not going to happen. The new ride will probably be a Honda Element. A fair amount of gear sits low and behind tinted windows. I'm working on the ultimate two wheeler / flat dolly combination so I can move twice the gear and still do it in two trips. Yes, I'm very lazy. :)

Tidy up the pedals a bit, attach a boom stand and I think I'll be real happy with the new rig: PC2X, XK-3, EON G2s, and the right stand for sitting or standing.

I got off my lazy ass recently to look for a few mo better paying gigs and actually found some. So this GAS comes with no guilt.

--wmp

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took me this long to earn your hatred? I must be really slipping in my old age.

Yesterday was an unusually good day. Booked a lot of work, ordered a bunch of stuff from three different vendors, looked at Hondas, and absolutely everybody I dealt with was great. I'd be real worried if this sort of day wasn't long overdue.

A nice gig vehicle with heat is a luxury, and more work is always good, but I'm just over the top excited about the XK-3. Very out of character for me, especially since it involves moving twice as much gear.

Bought it from Goff, sort of a one time competitor in the days when I had a couple of B3s for rent. They have an impeccable reputation among the organ folks I know. Yesterday was my first contact with 'em and it was like chatting with an old friend. Dave's third generation Goff family and understands good old fashioned pro service. Granddad would be proud. IMHO, these folks get three :thu::thu::thu:

--wmp

Thanks daBowsa. I've had the PC2X for two years and never got the Classic Keys ROM. I know folks around here love it. I'd probably be mostly interested in the EP sounds. I'm considering doing it now, but I always like to listen first.

I like the PC2X. There's a lot more to the KB3 mode than the factory presets. The organs sound real good and I get lots of compliments. But it's a bit awkward switching between piano and organ. The KB3 uses up much of the polyphony and it takes a second or so to boot when you enter KB3 mode or a setup with a KB3 patch. The polyphony expansion was almost tempting, but because the leslie monopolizes the effects processor, there's no way to have a KB3 organ with a leslie and a piano with a little reverb at the same time. Organ on weighted keys doesn't bother me much, but other aspects of the interface do. There's just no substitite for a fistful of drawbars. Real time control of the overdrive would be nice too.

It's easy to nit pick. It's a great board and it's done the job all by itself for two years. Most important, it's been totally reliable.

With an XK-3 on top, I'm livin' large. If I'm feeling lazy, I can just take one board and probably be the only one in the room who misses the Hammond.

--wmp

For some reason, nothing I ordered Saturday actually got ordered. Even had to switch vendors for the organ. I'm thinking Goff didn't really have one in stock.

Made sure it all got done today.

2007 Honda Element

Hammond XK-3 + Flight Case

Quiklok Z-72

MOTU 896HD

Sonor 6

A bit over $26,000 in one day. I won't be doing that again for a very long time.

--wmp

Archived