Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Farewell To Kings

Dave Pierce

I had a hour-plus drive home from a gig tonight, and I'm kind of burnt out on listening to the kind of music that I tend to play. So I started thumbing through the "Artist" list on my iPod, looking for something that would be rather intense to listen to, but NOT like anything I'm likely to play anytime soon.

"Aha!", I say. "Rush. There we go. Let's see . . . A Farewell To Kings . . . haven't heard any of THAT stuff in a long time. . . "

Man, I had forgotten how cool that music is. Really great production value, tasty analog synths, head-banging drive, and complexity for the sake of complexity. :thu: Totally opposite from what I try to do in my own music, yet perfectly enjoyable for listening. Just what the doctor ordered.

OK, so no real purpose to this post, other than a shout-out for a great album I haven't heard in years.

Anybody else listen to something recently that you haven't heard in a long time, and discover it all over again?

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I caught a little bit of Rush live on VH1 concerts the other night.

At 30 plus years later, those cats remain one of the tightest power trios I have ever heard.

I will not be playing "Freewill" or "Limelight" any time soon. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by ProfD:

I will not be playing "Freewill" or "Limelight" any time soon. :cool:

From the Wikipedia entry for 'Limelight':

"Note the twenty-plus time signature changes throughout the song, including the use of 4/4, 7/4, 6/8 and 3/4."

:freak: I think I'll stick to 4/4. :D

...I will not be playing "Freewill" or "Limelight" any time soon. :cool:

I will. Yep, we're gigging tonight ;)

For the record, this particular album got a very cold response from the Rush public and got the guys pretty frustrated back in the day. According to the book I just read, this frustration led them to 2112 and then my favorite phase ("Permanent Waves", "Moving Pictures", etc.). That only makes me wish more artists get that kind of frustration someday :rolleyes:

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

...I will not be playing "Freewill" or "Limelight" any time soon. :cool:

I will. Yep, we're gigging tonight ;)

For the record, this particular album got a very cold response from the Rush public and got the guys pretty frustrated back in the day. According to the book I just read, this frustration led them to 2112 and then my favorite phase ("Permanent Waves", "Moving Pictures", etc.). That only makes me wish more artists get that kind of frustration someday :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I dig those tunes. Just different from what I would play in a live setting. ;)

Yes, sometimes it takes the ignorance of public perception, record company politics, etc., to frustrate a serious musician/band just enough to yield some of their best work. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

According to the book I just read, this frustration led them to 2112 and then my favorite phase ("Permanent Waves", "Moving Pictures", etc.).

Actually, A Farewell To Kings came after 2112. ;)

This brings back a lot of memories! I remember cranking Cygnus X-1 every day after school when I was a kid. However, my favorite was the album that followed - Hemispheres. Geddy Lee's bass sound and playing are amazing on that recording.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

A couple of the guys went up north a few months ago to the guitarists cabin. The dinner music of choice for the weekend was Rush. Somehow methinks things would have been different had the wives come along. ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Andre, I take it you're in a Rush tribute? Farewell to Kings came after 2112 (the first record with synths, bass pedals, double necked guitars, and new percussion instruments), and actually got a very warm response from Rush fans. (They FINALLY retired Closer to the Heart on the VaporTrails tour.)

The record you were referring to was actually Caress of Steel. And while it spawned some really cool stuff like Bastille Day, and Lakeside Park, it was pretty uneven. I Think I'm Going Bald was kind of humorous, and parts of The Necromancer are cool (No One At The Bridge), but even years later, I still have no idea what the Fountain of Lamneth is about!!!

Still my favorite band if there is such a thing. Not only for their music, which is a tribute to individuality/idiosyncracy/independence/hardwork, but for what they stand for as a band of brothers.

That said, I STILL love Xanadu, and every live version they've put out is better than the studio version.

For Christmas, treat yourselves to Rush In Rio. Filmed one night, one concert only *unlike many concert films*, and in front of an audience that had NEVER seen them play before, but obviously had been dreaming about it for a long time. To see 60,000 singing YYZ (an instrumental)....made the hairs stand up on my arms. I can only imagine what it felt like for the band.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Sorry guys, my mistake. Tonysounds got it right, I had "Caress of Steel" in my mind...

"Xanadu" is such a treat to play, specially if your drummer can pull out the percussion stuff and you get a smoke generator going...I am particularly fond of the climate yielded by Lifeson's volume pedal work on that one.

As for the "Rush in Rio" DVD, I suppose the best picture of what it meant for local fans is the shortcut of that guy with clasp hands thanking the heavens upon finally getting to hear the thunderous E opening for "Tom Sawyer", live at last...here in Sao Paulo (the day before the Rio show) you could get dizzy with the stadium energy. I'll never forget that :love:

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Wow, Andre -- I'm pretty impressed that you play that stuff. THOSE are tunes you don't play in a pick-up band. ;) Is your band a Rush Tribute band? Or a prog rock band that happens to do some Rush tunes?

Yeah, kad, Hemispheres is my favorite Rush album too. I actually listened to the first half of that last night too, but it really hasn't been all that long since I listened to that, so it wasn't so much of a "re-discovery".

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

Does anyone else notice that their favorite album by a newly-discovered group tends to be the first one you listen to/own?

I was aware of Rush in college but my first, and still favorite, CD is Power Windows, not regarded (I guess) as one of their best. It IS glossy, very Trevor Rabin-ish, but I love it. Regardless, I'll probably be listening to Rush CDs the rest of today thanks to this thread :thu:

Does anyone have the "R-30" DVD? How does it compare to Rush in Rio?

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Dave, we used to be a Rush Tribute, but over time started to bring in some generic Classic Rock too, so as to please any crowd and still have a kick out of it ;) . We always open with "Three Blind Mice Intro + Tom Sawyer" anyway, and more often than not end up playing some six or seven Rush tunes from our old arsenal.

Botch, I do have the R-30 DVD, and technically it's superior, although the crowd is quieter. In a nutshel, it's in Germany. The setlist is different from the Rio show (it includes "Subdivisions" :love: ), and the extra DVD with vintage interviews is rather cool. My only gripe is the "unplugged" version of "Heart Full of Soul", which in my humble opinion was way better on the original R-30 record, with that tasteful guitar work.

Originally posted by jackpine:

Originally posted by soundscape:

I can't think of a single album that has no medicore tracks on it... a

Sounds like a challenge.... :wave:
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here.

:thu:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

Originally posted by Cydonia:

Not this Xanadu, right? :)

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/51/92/04/0002519204102_215X215.jpg

Not even. :freak:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here.

:thu:

--Dave

+1 :thu:

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

Just to name a few:

Stevie Wonder's "Keys of Life"

Chick Corea's "Light As A Feather," and "Time Warp"

Herbie Hancock's "Return of the Headhunters," "Man-child," and "Quartet"

Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue"

Pat Metheny "We Live Here"

Rush is one of my all-time favorite bands. I've played more cover tunes by them than any other band/composer (those of you who heard KC Comp 11 probably aren't surprised I'd say this :) ). It's fun to cover the bass gtr and keys parts! :freak: well, I never had those Moog Taurus pedals or the like, so had to be selective about the songs we did as a trio. Ah, memories ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived