Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the difference between a Roland XP-50 and XP-60?

Tupelo_Rod

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC XP60 is a 61 key version of the XP80 which has 77 keys. It has an improved user interface over the XP50 with the "green screen" that allows you to see ADSR shapes etc. XP50 has the two line red screen (like the XP30).

I believe the XP60 has two stereo outs to the XP50's one. And it has the four sound pallette sliders which the XP50 does not. (these can be used to control the volumes of tones, affect cutoff and resonance etc.)

Everything else in the machines is the same. The ROM, EFX, sequencers and patches in the machines are the same.

Jerry

Originally posted by Tusker:

IIRC XP60 is a 61 key version of the XP80 which has 77 keys.

Was the extra key on the top or bottom of the XP-80? ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The XP-60s keyboard is better. Way better. It's the main reason I sold my 50 and bought a 60 back in the 90s! :D

The bigger screen helps a lot for certain things. For example, I never fully undersood effects routings until I got the 60, which has it graphically drawn out on the screen. But for most jobs it's not that big a deal.

The two rows of buttons below it (instead of the 50's one) is a big deal for quick patch changes however.

The XP-60 also came with a bank of new patches for dance sounds that did not come with the 50. I loaded these into my 50 with no problem. To me, the biggest difference on the performance side was the movement from 2 assignable CC sliders above the stick on the XP-50 to a set of 4 sliders with with a switch to go between control of filter and ADSR on the 60/80. For a while I had an XP-50 stacked on an XP-80. Once the extra patches were loaded there was no sound difference between the two.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I hope what you've picked up from all this is... if your choice is between an XP-50 or XP-60, pay a little more and get the 60, even though they have essentially the same sound. The reason why I bought the 50 is because at the time there was no 60. It came later, and is a classier machine all 'round.

Originally posted by Bill H.:

The XP-60s keyboard is better. Way better. It's the main reason I sold my 50 and bought a 60 back in the 90s! :D

Same for me, only I bought the 80. I played exactly two gigs with the XP-50, then I declared its keyboard unplayable and sold it right away.

Archived