Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

monitors

wmp

I'm in the middle of a GAS attack. I've got most of it figured out, but I could use some speaker recommendations. I almost bought those klipsch speakers gangsu likes so much, but I really want something I can mix on. I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I'm more concerned with getting speakers I can trust.

Thanks.

--wmp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.....

I drank from the Adams cool aid a few years ago and can tell you that from my point of view, my mixes translate better now than when I was mixing on my POS EV's.

This, in and of itself, is why monitors mean everything. To me, they are honest and easy to get used to and translate well to other systems.

But our fearless leader Dave, may have a different opinion. :D:wave:

Shows ya what I know. Never even heard of 'em before.

At $2500 a pair, the p22 is less of a shock than the S5VA at $12,000 a pair. At $1000 a pair, the A7 is about double what I was hoping to spend, but that's at least possible.

Of course, that's what all about. Mixes that sound great everywhere. Am I dreaming on my budget?

--wmp

wmp, you are not dreaming on your budget. For example, at less than $500, you can pick up a used pair of Yamaha NS10s which became to mixing what Pro Tools is to recording nowadays.

The NS10s would not be kick a** monitors though. Just good "supposedly" for making it easier to come up with mix that translates well to other speaker systems.

I would suggest you check out a couple pairs of monitors (new) within your price range. Whichever pair you really like, pick them up and get to "know" your monitors.

Listen to commercial mixes on them. Then, try to duplicate it. Keeping in mind commercial mixes have been mastered too.

The point of the exercise is that once you have been mixing on those monitors long enough, your ears will acclimate to getting the most out of them.

Also, keep a pair of consumer level speakers in the studio too. A/B your mixes between the monitors and speakers.

The benefit of a pair of ADAMs is to eliminate the A/B test but as MikeT156 has already said.... ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have been considering a pair of the A-7's. That purchase is delayed as in the past 6 months I've spent way too much on music. Once the budget recovers the Adams will be back on target.

It is worth it to go somewhere and test monitors. I spent about two hours in a shop testing mid-range monitors before buying my 8" Events. After a while some "brighter" speakers started sounding harsh and you want to avoid that. There was a pair of Mackie's that I liked but at the time they were just out of my price range.

I suggest you pay close attention to size and output. I think my one mistake with the EV-8's is not realizing how big or loud they would be in my bedroom studio. I have a smaller set that gets a lot more daily use.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I too have a pair of Adam P22's, and while they're pricey for a home studio, once you get over the shock you won't regret it.

I hear things thru them in older recordings that I'd never heard with my old Tannoys.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by ProfD:

wmp, you are not dreaming on your budget. For example, at less than $500, you can pick up a used pair of Yamaha NS10s which became to mixing what Pro Tools is to recording nowadays.

Actually, the NS10 (and NS10M) was infamous for being what you listened to your mix through to simulate what a user would hear on their car radio. In other words, it wasn't a good monitor, it was a real-world monitor.

I don't know a single studio, project or professional, that relied *just* on NS10M's and put out decent mixes.

(When the common practice is to tape tissue over the tweeter, you know something's not quite right with your listening rig. ;) )

The moral of the story: just because something is ubiquitous doesn't mean it's good. :thu:

http://searchviews.com/archives/Big%20Mac.jpg

Thanks for the input, folks.

Right now, I have nothing. JBL EON G2s for live and headphones for home. I want something real good for general listening, playing through, and I want 'em to be as accurate as possible for mixing. I'm in an apartment, and I'm not a loud guy. Don't need loud, just colorless and accurate. Something that truly qualifies as a studio reference monitor.

This is part of a larger GAS attack that includes a new vehicle, another keyboard, and a bunch of stuff for the live recording rig. The vehicle isn't going to be as bad as expected, so there may be some room in the budget. I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I must spend it wisely. When I'm done, I'll be done spending for a while.

--wmp

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

... (When the common practice is to tape tissue over the tweeter, you know something's not quite right with your listening rig. ;) )

LOL. That reminds me of when people used to shove a hand full of drinking straws into the port to change the bass responce of some monitors. :cool:

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

the adams are very cool... no doubt... would love to have some... but pricey... i'm useing tannoy reveal powered myself and find them real good... not hyped at all so some will bad rap them... i'ld rather have accuracy... at the risk of throwing the proverbial monkey wrench... i would consider getting a pair of (used)audiofool type... stay with acoustic suspension (nonported)and stay away from "exciting" sounding... suggest looking for KEF or B+W...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Originally posted by jackpine:

I think so. He doesn't have those cheap P22s, he's got the S3-As, at $5300 a pair. And he's giving away $10,000 consoles. I've gotta say, it's an honor to hang out with you rich folks.
--wmp

I'm getting pretty flat and clean results from a pair of the M-Audio Studiophile BX8's (sub-$500/pr). Me thinks they have been replaced with a newer model now. I agree with Robert, the Mackie's sounded better to my ears as well at the time but were out of my budget too. Maybe someday ... I can afford Adams ... or Genelecs ... or an Oasys!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by dementedchord:

acoustic suspension (nonported)and stay away from "exciting" sounding... suggest looking for KEF or B+W...

Nothing wrong with properly designed ported speakers...

(Hint: many of them are probably far from optimal.)

the trade off is less accuracy for a little effeciency and bass extension and that's for good ones... for bad ones it just means sloppy...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Originally posted by wmp:

Originally posted by jackpine:

I think so. He doesn't have those cheap P22s, he's got the S3-As, at $5300 a pair. And he's giving away $10,000 consoles. I've gotta say, it's an honor to hang out with you rich folks.
A) At $2499 a pair, the P22As are hardly cheap. :idea:

B) I spent a bunch of money on my S3As because I firmly believe speakers are the single most important component of the studio (I'll never understand how some people will justify spending thousands on synths or mics or compressors and then run them all through cheap speakers), so I saved up for years to buy them (this was before I worked for ADAM). They remain one of my favorite purchases ever.

C) I used to work for Alesis. The two X2s I'm giving away were made by Alesis, so I didn't pay much for the consoles, and they're well over 10 years old. Bottom line - it's gonna be much less of a hassle for me to trade them for something I need; or, failing that, to just basically give them to a good home than try and sell them.

D) I ain't even close to being "rich folks", and

E) I'm not fearless. ;):D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

(When the common practice is to tape tissue over the tweeter, you know something's not quite right with your listening rig. ;) )

Frequency response measurements of tissue modifications (!):

http://bobhodas.com/tissue.html

'Since nobody would put up with such aberrant behavior in their main control-room monitors, why should we go this route in a close-field speaker? The result is a very crude and, I would say, undesirable method for dealing with the problem of a speaker sounding a bit too bright. And, as one can see from the charts included in this article, the use of tissue layers is certainly a very uncontrollable and non-linear method of doing the job. If a little less high-end is desired, how about a simple electronic filter that could be measured and controlled in a more reliable manner than the "Tissue Fix?"'

The moral of the story: just because something is ubiquitous doesn't mean it's good. :thu:

http://searchviews.com/archives/Big%20Mac.jpg

Mmm... hamburger...

It doesn't take a heck of a lot to look rich from my perspective. Even if you got 'em cheap and got a lot of use out of 'em, that's still a mighty amount of generosity and a killer deal for somebody who needs a console. Fearless or no, you're certainly our beloved leader.

I've done enough mixing on inadequate speakers to understand the importance of having good ones. Since I've never heard of ADAM or Genelec before, it's pretty obvious that I don't know squat and I've just begun to look. I intend to gather more input, spend more time, and be more careful with this than anything else on the GAS list. Even for the very small amount of mixing I intend to do, I still want great speakers I can trust.

Thanks for all the help.

--wmp

Originally posted by kanker, apparently:

My advice, get a great pair of passive monitors and an amp. Why? Modularity is ALWAYS wise when investing money in one's setup, IMHO. Makes replacing things easier and cheaper.

That's one perspective, and it has it's merits, of course.

Here's another:

The major advantages to active monitors are that there's typoically one amp per driver, and all the amps and drivers are matched to each other, so it can be reasponably argued that active monitors will perform better.

The passive monitor thing has actually largely fallen by the wayside. Try shopping for a pair - you'll have a hard time finding anywhere near the selection you'll find if you're looking for actives.

ADAM used to make passive models of the entire S series line - we stopped doing it because we sold almost none. The only passive pair we offer currently are the ANF10s.

dB

ADAM Audio USA

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

The major advantages to active monitors are that there's typoically one amp per driver, and all the amps and drivers are matched to each other, so it can be reasponably argued that active monitors will perform better.

The amplifiers are under constant vibration from the sound of the monitors. This is NOT beneficial to electronic equipment. You have multiple amplifiers, so you have multiple things that can break. Replace or repair? Replace, well, they may not make those monitors anymore, so you have to learn a whole new system. This is something that has happened to a number of folks I know. Repair, well you now have cracked open the box, and could potentially affect the speaker as a whole. You can have your actives. You'll have to pry my passives and amp from my cold, dead hands.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by kanker, apparently:

The amplifiers are under constant vibration from the sound of the monitors. This is NOT beneficial to electronic equipment.

Most active designs use amplifiers that are specifically built to be used in these sort of applications, and I do not believe that they are anywhere near as susceptible to the vibration as you seem to. As a matter of fact, I actually have yet to hear my service manager tell me that any problems at all have been caused by this.

You have multiple amplifiers, so you have multiple things that can break.
You also have multiple components in a dedicated amplifier, all/any of which can break, too. ;)

Replace, well, they may not make those monitors anymore, so you have to learn a whole new system.
...as opposed to something like, say, an NS10...oh, wait - they don't make those any more. :D

Repair, well you now have cracked open the box, and could potentially affect the speaker as a whole.
Huh? :confused:

You don't think these things are designed to be opened/seviced if necessary without the speaker being "affected"?

You can have your actives. You'll have to pry my passives and amp from my cold, dead hands.
Now that's the first thing you've said that I have no issue with. To each his/her own. :thu:

dB

ADAM Audio USA

Archived