Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

microkorg for a beginner?

electriclove

I've been looking around for quite some time for an affordable synth. I have a little bit of knowledge with piano but I really want a synth now because sometime in the future I would love to have a band. I've looked at the Juno-D, Roland SH-201, and the microkorg. I have read that some beginners have started on these but I need some more opinions. My price range would probably be up to $600. I also need some info on amps for them. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are new to synthesizers I would recomend you the Roland SH-201. Learning how synths works is very easy on this board. (It is a real synth!) And it sounds very good! Amazing value for money.

VS the microkorg the SH-201 has some important features:

*much easier programming

*built in effects (Chorus, delay/ reverb and overdrive).

*full size keys (I find the microkorg hard to play because of the small and cheep keyboard)

The Juno-D has some advantages over the SH-201:

*Multi timbral (it can play up to 16 different sounds at once, if you plan on hooking it up to a computer to build a home studio).

*Because it is based on sampling it has more realistic realisation of "real world" sounds like piano, guitars, drums, etc, but the SH-201 and microkorg is a modeled synthesizer, and has it strenghts in synthesizer sounds.

Bottom line:

*The SH-201 impressed me!!

*But go to a local shop and try out the different alternatives.

Archived