Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What does a social darwinist evolve into. . .?

Legatoboy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot, Legatoboy.

The RMI Electra-Piano was my first electronic keyboard. It probably had something to do with them being manufactured in my hometown - Rocky Mount, NC... hence Rocky Mount Instruments (RMI).

They sucked, yes.

As far as being compared to a horse's behind, well, I've been called worse.

But, it's not all about me, is it? ;)

Boy, this is a tough crowd.

http://www.oldkewgardens.com/ps99/ps99-012-NS.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I saw the photo of Rodney and had to respond. I worked his club for a week back in the 1970's. I backed a singer from Philadelphia and his manager landed a week there.

What was funny was this - all the waiters at his club were mouthing his act as he was doing it on stage. The waiters had his act down pat.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Gas,

But, it's not all about me, is it?

This is my wife's favorite personality flaw of mine.....guilty as charged. Right, I remember that your town's address was on the old RMI.

You know I used to run the Clav sound through a Wah-Wah..... it was thin but it wasn't bad. I have fond memories of Rocky Mountain Way and Tull's Wind-Up (using the piano) on that axe on many a night way back in the haze! Yes they sucked, but boy did Winwood get juice outa one on John Barleycorn and Blind Faith. . . And Dr. John's first hit - Right Place/ Wrong Time! Think that was the Cheez Clav on that one!

lb :thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Well, if we're going to keep the discussion musical, what's the RMI electric piano doing here?

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

retrokeys,

hip plop hippity plop. . . .

well we will get a sound from the front or maybe the right side of that damn horse. . . .

we will leave all the weak horses left to die including the ones that don't make any sound anymore also the ones who drink too much, fornicate too much, go to church too much, horses that might be gay, don't have enough money or a thriving business of there own...or are just plain too stupid in our considerations to try to get a sound out of!

then we know it was ment to be and why we are uber groovers. . . .!

wait, let me get the silver spoon out of that horses mouth before we start! And maybe my foot out of my own . . . .!

I should post this on the other forum, the one for ranting I think! Sorry about my madness!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

retrokeys,

Sorry, one too many Kraftwork albums under my

belt (actually only 2 if I remember) ....

If I could, I would rewind this whole day!

AND I wish I could delete this whole thread...

I wish one of the Admins. or Moderators would

put me and this thread out of it's misery

It's embarrassing! I don't care if they are

a Social Darwinist or not!

lb

No - don't kill it. It's too much fun just helping this thread clop along. :D

Here's a picture of the iPod I'm asking Santa to bring me for Christmas. :thu:

http://mikemchargue.com/uploaded_images/babyipod-716520.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Sorry all,

I've come down with the sickness, some people are driving me over the edge here in surburbia (LI,New York)...... I need the city back or my beloved borough of Queens New York at least. . . .

These people live 25 miles from NYC and some of em act like thier in an episode of Dallas.....

sorry I lost it today. . . .! When somebody says there daughter shouldn't go to Church on the weekends(not that I even think of it, but!), Bars, The Ethical Society or Glee club..... just join jogging or athletic teams to help move & weed out the weak and feeble in our society and really mean it....

I JUST LOSE MY MIND! He had to be kidding.. BUT I DON'T THINK SO!

I didn't tell him I was a musician!

I'm gonna be positive, I'm gonna be positive, I'm gonna b ....

lb :wave:

Gas,

Baaaaah!

My friend was gonna call his record company Sheep Shearing Music, he was a stone Anglophile...you know Irish, English, Scotch....a Bass player and old Tull fanatic, had friends in JF Murphy and Salt if anybody remembers here in NYC a long long time ago in another galaxy. Also in love with Kate Bush. We went drunk into the English night in search of her house outside of London. No one would tell us where she lived. We were dirty American yanks!

I'm a Ginny by trade.... I went with him to London, he bought a set of Bagpipes and we drank Bass for 2 weeks every day!

Anyway... We came up with a name for his first album. The art work on the back cover was gonna be a pair of Velcreo gloves on a tree stump.... The front of the album was gonna be a sheep's face....

Of course the Album was going to be called 'Velcro Gloves' along with the title tune.

Baaah!,

lb

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Here's a picture of the iPod I'm asking Santa to bring me for Christmas. :thu:

[/QB]

Nice :thu:

I am probably one of the few remaining humans who have not succumbed to iPod fever. But this gizmo may just push me over the edge.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

And there I was being linear. Oh well. All I thought I did was declare that the sound of social Darwinism, the sound of an RMI piano, the "sound" of hip hop and the sound issuing from a horse's backside all had an equivalency. I will no longer assault the expired equine. Have a better day tomorrow. : )

dont know about the horse but an old favorite album of mine had a guy playing a pig.... no not a costume... he pulled the ears to get him to "sing"

FWIW the album was slaves mass by hermeto pascoal...

"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Demented one,

I live a mile or so from Okema Castle here on the "Gold Coast" of LI were they shot the scenes for Citizen Cain. It's the famous and wealthy "North Shore"...(not my house)... "Billy" country...

Billy Joel country..... He grew up in the next Town - Oyster Bay and played at the Pub in my town and still show's up occasionally. He's a friend of one of the band leaders I work with.... one gig I was playing out in Hamptons, first song, I see this guy watching me play, I put my head down and in my mind I realize it's Billy himself. I really sucked eggs that day, I had the hideious RD700 too bassi, too trebelley syndrome going on outside on the patio that afternoon.

Well anyway, as Ian Anderson used to say : "It was an old day yesterday but by golly it's a new day today" . . . .

There are alot of 'folk' around these here parts that have croquot mallets for brain pistons. Billy didn't come up with those words for no reason. Run into a few of the sorts that stride around here and get smacked off a piano stool or two by your father enough and that will give you some inspiration for great lyrics! I can't put the neighborhood down too much though!

You know the Glass houses round here, not to be confused with Bud Powells 'Glass Enclosures'.

The Parkway Diner actually exists BTW and was a after gig haunt going back to the 50/60's for people playing on Northern Blvd heading from Queens into LI. . . .

Anyway rambling time is over! I haven't been gigging and just need to feel like I'm connecting with players I guess. I really miss my gigs.

lb

Demented One,

"Famous Pigs in rock"

dont know about the horse but an old favorite album of mine had a guy playing a pig.... no not a costume... he pulled the ears to get him to "sing" FWIW the album was slaves mass by hermeto pascoal...

Other than the Hermeto Pascoal and the Pink Floyd Floating Pig (I truly relate to this) There was also Mick Abraham's band:

http://www.mickaby.freeola.com/blodwyn_pig.jpg

I always though "Pig Snot" was a great name for a band! That's the way I describe my Hammond Organ tone actually. I like to get that 'Pig Snot' sound out of my leslie. Steve Hayes needs to come up with a pre-amp for that sound!

:eek:

Demented One:

This band was great too as far as animals go. They had all the bases covered being Mother Goose. From New Zealand! Real stand up guys! On member was dressed in a Ballet Outfit with pink toto, the other guy in a Diaper. . . The other as a Bee. They used to play at the dangerous and wonderful downtown Manhatten club Gildersleeves back in the haze! No Pigs though the keyboard player was fat! They were great players!

'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Goose_(band)'

MidLife (and maybe Tom?),

Although I am having trouble identifying the subject of this thread, my wife got me a 30 gig iPod for being a supportive husband. I haven't fully implemented it yet, but my intended use for it is strictly Music Management. Our band is constantly learning new stuff, and my practice area is littered with CD's. The iPod will clean all that up, and I'll run it either through my stereo or my amp. You can make playlists to organize the music. One of our guitar players has one and it comes in real handy at rehearsals. This is probably old news for a lot of folks here, but I'm pretty psyched about my iPod. Even though with wife, kid, mortgage, home repair etc. I don't envision having any time ever to listen through the "ear buds", it'll still be a God-send. :thu:

Regards,

Joe

Joe P,

This thread is about Social Darwinists and the Jungian collective unconscience narcissism of the whole Keybord forum membership. . . .

Basically it's all about us.

The Thread does have a purpose as did Dorian Gray's mirror!

Just bs-in really......that's the purpose, it's not really about anything but my angst and RMI pianos! 'Gas in The Car' added the iPod picture.... I'm not that smart!

Really it's all just good fun!

lb

Originally posted by Legatoboy:

Joe P,

This thread is about Social Darwinists and the Jungian collective unconscience narcissism of the whole Keybord forum membership. . . .

Basically it's all about us.

The Thread does have a purpose as did Dorian Gray's mirror!

Just bs-in really......that's the purpose, it's not really about anything but my angst and RMI pianos! 'Gas in The Car' added the iPod picture.... I'm not that smart!

Really it's all just good fun!

lb

I'm probably dating myself when I say that I remember when the RMI was the "next big thing" and everyone had to have one. I never did own one but I cracked on plenty of them.

I should also say that Ego (Jungian collective unconscience narcissism) is just as important as beer and practicing to a performing musician.

Without it, we would all just be sheep!

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Blue JC,

Thank you for responding and Welcome to my thread....

My wife has demanded that I leave my steady gigging band of 6 years or as she put it 'the house is up for sale and so is my marriage' .... THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM. . . .sickening as it is!

I've been almost two months without a gig with a garage full of great gear. . . .even though I have decided to take a little break for the Gipper (my marriage), my back, to sleep and to decide what to do next... I long for the company of fellow musicians . . .

I agree our narcissism as musicians is 'special'. . . .

Your welcome anytime BLUE JC. . .I'm a bit of blueser myself... actually quit a bit..

I guess this Thread is about what happens when your not gigging actively and what you notice in your day to day agnst when you don't have the luxury of the next gig to keep you in touch with yourself. . . .hence the Social Darwinist rant caused by my random run in with that complete 'Nihilist Except for Success and Dominance' nutjob I ran into!

I think watching Winwood on the new Blind Faith DVD from Hyde Park playing the RMI had a weird effect on me!

lb

I am probably one of the few remaining humans who have not succumbed to iPod fever. But this gizmo may just push me over the edge.

What's an iPod?

Kate Bush , George Bush and iPod Nuts. . .

At the bottom under Nuts there is a great picture of an iPod. . . with red eyes!

I knew I was on to something.... It even includes

'Dare I say, alittle Social Darwinist tinge doesn't it! And they say Fracticals don't work...Humbug-ers!

Kate , George (Social Darwinist,Ahhhh!) & iPod Nuts. . . .

Dave, at the bottom of the page is a green nut with red eyes, i'm pretty sure that's an iPod (kidding)!

lb :wave:

Archived