Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prog is not dead...it's turning Japanese!?


Marzzz

Recommended Posts



  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a hard time thinking of what's wrong with disco--quite a few reasonable songs and the arrangements were usually fine if not outstanding with first rate arrangers and session musicians working on them. If you don't like "dance" music... well, that's another matter.

 

Rap has the problem that you can't really write a "song" around it... typically when a new "style" (read: fashion) arrives you can usually "dress up" the same old thing in it, but I think it's a great deal harder with rap...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope prog is making a comeback. The popularity of Radiohead and the Mars Volta seem to point in that general direction. I'm kinda hoping I can make some extra scratch from my music.

 

That's another thread, though.

 

I've always had this fantasy that I would be famous in another country, but stay unknown here. That way, I could still go to the grocery store.

 

Again, that's another thread, and one I've already started I might add. ;)

Darren Landrum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me rap isn't music, it's poetry, probably more aptly coined street poetry. As far as dance music goes, I've always preferred listening music to dance music. Though I have come to appreciate disco more now that I have found things that I like less ;)

 

I'm more into progressive rock, classical, some jazz, celtic, new age, hard rock (AC/DC, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, that sort of thing, not the newer moshpit(read -dance) stuff). Not a lot out there for me nowadays, I have to look a hell of a lot harder than I used to. There's new stuff for me to get into- Wolfmother, The Flower Kings, Blackfield, etc. but they aren't the dish of the day if you know what I mean ;)

 

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

 

 

 

Hail Vibrania!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

What's wrong with disco? - if you lived thru it, you can't look at it objectively. You are scarred for life from that incessant 4 on the floor beat.

 

:evil::mad:

Er, I like four to the floor beats.

 

(P.S. What about the typical syncopated/'active' bass?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Darren Landrum:

I really hope prog is making a comeback. The popularity of Radiohead and the Mars Volta seem to point in that general direction.

Hmm, well, it depends on what you mean by "prog" I suppose but I think in general styles basically come and then go rather than have major comebacks... at least in the same form?

 

Radiohead = prog? I've always thought of them as "alternative" (for want of a better term.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by soundscape:

Radiohead = prog? I've always thought of them as "alternative" (for want of a better term.)

It depends greatly upon who you ask. I've played some of their more off-beat stuff down at the radio station (where I go to college). They definitely fall a ways outside the mainstream at times (odd time signatures, complex chords/harmonies).
Darren Landrum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll have to go with soundscape on the Radiohead thing...prog nowadays to me is The Flower Kings, Blackfield, Magellan, Spock's Beard, etc.

 

Unfortunately after the heyday of ELP, Yes, and Genesis there came along something called New Wave and I've heard many of it's fans call it prog...who'd thunk? :)

 

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

 

 

 

Hail Vibrania!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rick Wakeman said Radiohead was prog. ;) He said it in a radio show aired by the BBC. Me, I'll give them a tip of the hat for being borderline. The Mars Volta, though, definitely crosses the line into prog territory.

 

Don't forget Liquid Scarlet and Glass Hammer.

Darren Landrum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

To me rap isn't music, it's poetry, probably more aptly coined street poetry.

I dunno, is it less music than, say, James Brown?

 

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

As far as dance music goes, I've always preferred listening music to dance music. Though I have come to appreciate disco more now that I have found things that I like less ;)

LOL, you don't have to "dance" to dance music, it's just a categorization (which relates to certain musical aspects, of course--"dreaded" :rolleyes: four-to-the-floor beats, for instance)... besides, "headbangers" don't just sit there and listen, you know. ;)

 

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

I'm more into progressive rock, classical, some jazz, celtic, new age, hard rock (AC/DC, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, that sort of thing, not the newer moshpit(read -dance) stuff).

Hmm... you mean "nu-metal"?

 

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

Not a lot out there for me nowadays, I have to look a hell of a lot harder than I used to. There's new stuff for me to get into- Wolfmother, The Flower Kings, Blackfield, etc. but they aren't the dish of the day if you know what I mean

Well, I just had a brief listen to them on iTunes and er... yeah. Gimme AC/DC or Black Sabbath any day over that!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Darren Landrum:

Originally posted by soundscape:

Radiohead = prog? I've always thought of them as "alternative" (for want of a better term.)

It depends greatly upon who you ask. I've played some of their more off-beat stuff down at the radio station (where I go to college). They definitely fall a ways outside the mainstream at times (odd time signatures, complex chords/harmonies).
I happened to be leafing through some Radiohead sheet music not long ago and was surprised to see the odd #11 alteration thrown in there. Though, to be honest, I can't really stand to listen to their material.

 

(BTW... Radiohead ARE "mainstream"... aren't they?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by soundscape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyj_6KTldOs

 

Disco suckzzz!!! ;)

It looks like the bassist might be playing a Basslabs bass:

 

http://www.basslab.de/OCT/ENG/Instruments/Basses/basses.htm

 

You can get them in any shape and paint job you want.

 

They're hollow through and through (even the neck), made out of carbon-fiber composite, and are extremely super-expensive.

Darren Landrum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

there came along something called New Wave and I've heard many of it's fans call it prog...who'd thunk? :)

Huh? :eek:

 

BTW... does "this music sucks" thing boil down to musical parameters... or just as much whether the music is depressing vs. uplifting... or lush/sugary vs. aggressive... etc.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hear ye..Hear ye...Be it known throughout the kingdom that Darkon the Incandescent has no groove and from hence shall no one give groove to this funkless perpetrator of un dance!

 

Seriously soundscape, me no likee boom boom music :)

 

It would be a very sad world indeed if we didn't have differences in opinion, taste, and general perspective. Viva la difference!

 

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

 

 

 

Hail Vibrania!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

Hear ye..Hear ye...Be it known throughout the kingdom that Darkon the Incandescent has no groove and from hence shall no one give groove to this funkless perpetrator of un dance!

LOL, I wasn't suggesting you had no groove. ;)

 

I just try to prevent people denouncing styles of music as inferior for no 'rational' reason; trying to persaude someone to like a type of music that they don't is, of course, pointless.

 

I think we've all had our favourite styles go in and out of fashion and the truth is that music as a whole is in a bit of a mess today, no matter what your taste is... well, I guess hip-hop fans are doing OK. I don't particularly like hip-hop but I'm not about to write off all practitioners of it on that basis. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...