Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Van Halen's Jump considered in another perspective

cd8

No, I'm not asking for a keyboard tab. I already play it ok, but I'm hoping to get to the next level of performance. I'm talking about doing THE JUMP ITSELF onstage.

Yes:

http://img121.imagevenue.com/loc578/th_97721_jump_122_578lo.jpg

I know this is an advanced technique, but I'm willing to put a lot of effort on it and I know there are a lot of pros here. How do you guys do it? Should I concentrate on flexibility or on strength?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As everything else related to the continued development of keyboard techniques, this one requires some dedication. I'm sure you'll realize that with some solid theory background under your belt it's much easier to nail.

However you should be aware of the steep learning curve: You should first learn to keep your personal physician's cell phone number on the cursory dog tag you should be using. Then you should check the skill level of your 911 rescue service before your first attempt at this particular technique. You should also make sure that upon hitting the ground (which you are bound to do regardless of your technical expertise level) you do so on your own, thus avoiding the extra cost and liability associated with covering someone else's medical expenses.

Depending on your personal assessment of the equation risk x benefit, which should yield the number of times you're bound to actually try your hand at it, you should soon come to the conclusion that you'd be better off spending your time and energy with Hanon anyway.

Hope this helps.

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

A few lifetimes ago, I used to play a decent rendition of "Jump!" with a rock-pop act... well, both the singer *and* the lead guitarist insisted on doing a physical jump when singing the "J" word.

To make it short, I asked them to stop. It was a pathetic sight. :D

As for me, all I could do would be to mimic a jump with my fingers. :D:D

Consider taking lessons from a qualified teacher. University music departments can suggest teachers with a strong classical background. This way you won't pick up any bad habits that may hurt you in the long run.

acctjm

Yep, it looks like there's actually 4 bass drum heads...Ya know, the picture dates back from between the Cretaceous and the Mesozoic periods, when double-strike bass drum pedals did not existed :D
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

We need some expert advice here! Where's Dave Horne?

I'm sure there is some musical theory that tells exactly when to do this... I used to do this manuev over Bb7#11, but only if it fell on the 2. I always felt there was a better time/place.

Please advise.

We need some expert advice here! Where's Dave Horne?

I'm sure there is some musical theory that tells exactly when to do this... I used to do this manuev Bb7#11, but only if it fell on the 2. I always felt there was a better time/place.

Please advise.

Archived